Next Question

1. ddmumm Initiate Member

Thanks for the advice to clear up my aquarium. Since I'm not changing the filter, but rinsing it in the water I siphoned from the tank; the water is sparkling clear.
    Next question: How much gravel should be in my 30 gallon tank? Another website said no more than a 1/4 inch, but I see on your site it says 1 lb. per gallon. That would mean 30 lbs. for my tank.
    Also when I clean the tank, do I stir the gravel; or not? When I do, all the decorations float to the top. One last question: how do I clean the black spots off the decorations?
    I guess that's enough questions for you to deal with for now, thanks again.
    ddmumm

2. MaryPa Initiate Member

The less gravel you use the easier it is to clean. When I used gravel I just put in enough to cover the bottom about 1/4" deep. You stick the vacuum in the gravel and slowly move it back and forth til no more waste comes up the tube.
    I personally prefer sandblasters sand and it seems the bottom dwelling fish do also. With this sand all you do is vacuum the waste that settles on top of the sand. This sand gets No smelly gas pockets.

3. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

It really depends on whether you have live plants in your tank or not how much gravel you put in. If you do(have live plants) you need at least 2-3 inches. My tanks with gravel are about 3 inches in the back kind of leveling out to around 2 inches in the front. Live plants need this much gravel to anchor their roots. Mary gave you good advice on how to vacuum your gravel, I just don't vacuum real close to my plants.
    Sounds like you have a little algae on your decorations. Might go here and see if you can identify it then we can figure out what to do for it. ;) http://www.plantgeek.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=74
    Glad your water cleared up for you ;) Yelll if you need anything else.
    Carol