Next Project: 40g Breeder

yinoma2001

So I love my 29G, but I need a bit more space length wise and definitely more depth so I can aquascape better. The 29G felt like it was unnecessarily too high (and most of my fish are bottom/mid swimmers so a lot of unused height and we need more length/depth).

So I'm going with a 40G breeder once Petco does a gallon sale (IIRC it's 50% of 40G breeders).

I've already bought a stand. So a few questions:

1. do I need to get a glass lid? I do not have what you would classify as any jumping fish candidates though I do not want to run the risk if I should just get one.

2. My budget for lights is very low. I have low to at most, slightly medium light plants. Is there any recommended 36" $50-ish lights that anyone can recommend?

RyanC14

I've heard good things about nicrew lights, they're also relatively inexpensive

yinoma2001

I've heard good things about nicrew lights, they're also relatively inexpensive
Thanks. How is the Finnex Stingray by comparison?

I don't have any intense high-light plants and really not sure I want to go there for a while (since I don't intend to do CO2 either).

Islandvic

yinoma2001 , I think you could get a 36" Beamswork DA series LED + the timer for under $50 from Amazon.

I have their EA series 48" + timer for the past year. It is basically a lower output version of the DA.

Zero problems so far.

I think if you don't have fish that jump, the main purpose of glass lids is to help decrease evaporation and to limit something accidentally falling into the tank.

So they are not essential.

yinoma2001

yinoma2001 , I think you could get a 36" Beamswork DA series LED + the timer for under $50 from Amazon.

I have their EA series 48" + timer for the past year. It is basically a lower output version of the DA.

Zero problems so far.

I think if you don't have fish that jump, the main purpose of glass lids is to help decrease evaporation and to limit something accidentally falling into the tank.

So they are not essential.

Oh nice. I heard their power pack/wiring could go bad though? Any issues with that?

Crispii

All fish can jump, even the ones that don't normally jump. As for a lid, you don't really need a glass lid. You can use acrylic.

yinoma2001

All fish can jump, even the ones that don't normally jump. As for a lid, you don't really need a glass lid. You can use acrylic.
Gotcha. I’m assuming acrylic ones are DIY?

kallililly1973

I like my Nicrew lights on my 10 and 2 5.5 gallons. They give great plant growth ( non co2 on any tanks just basic ferts ). I have a Beamswork on my 20 long that also gives great growth. And a Finnex planted 24/7 on my 55 with great growth as well. With your 40 breeder you will not only have a great footprint it will also be low profile so if it were me i'de go nicrew all the way. Good luck!!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Masspanic
Replies
Views
yinoma2001
Replies
Views
yinoma2001
Replies
Views