News

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by btate617, Mar 23, 2010.

1. btate617

btate617 Well Known Member Member

And my "favorite" part of the article....

"We are just saying that CITES is not a good place for the conservation of marine resources," said Endo. "We already are making progress on conserving marine species."

Brian

2. m

mcurtissdsu Well Known Member Member

That's just so sad...

3. Tigerfishy

Tigerfishy Well Known Member Member

That is so sad, how can they not realise?? One day there will be no soup for them anyway, why can't that day be now and save some amazing species for their children and future generations to appreciate too?

4. bolivianbaby

bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Another victim of human selfishness. I truly hope a solution is found. Anytime top predators start disappearing, other serious problems are right behind.

5. OP
    OP
    btate617

btate617 Well Known Member Member

Once it gets bad they will do something about it........... oh wait isn't it there now.

I still think Hisashi Endo is a joke. The guy is the director of the Ecosystem and Conservation Office in the Fisheries Agency of Japan. He says Tokyo is already working towards protecting marine species and doesn't think CITES needs to be involved.

(for those that may not know what CITES is...... the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora. Its aim is to ensure that international trade in specimens of wild animals and plants does not threaten their survival.)

This guy sums it up best I believe....... "It's proven that shark populations have diminished and they warrant protection," Ruzigandekwe said. "Yet, most proposals were rejected. People are not properly informed and the information is being distorted because of commercial interests."

Imagine that a politician that appears to be looking out for his own interests, who would have thought that could happen.

Brian

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice