20 Gallon Tank Newly Setup Planted Aquarium. Should I Keep lights & CO2 running for a few days?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Discus & Guppies don't fare well when cycling a tank. If you have enough plants that may not be a problem as the plants if they are growing well will consume some or if not all of the ammonia being produced by the fish. DO NOT add more ammonia in an attempt to establish a bacteria colony.

As long as there are plants in the tank, the lights & co2 should be run on thier normal cycle. CO2 24/7 & lights on 8-12hrs each day. Do not break that routine.

OP
C

chunmeep

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Discus & Guppies don't fare well when cycling a tank. If you have enough plants that may not be a problem as the plants if they are growing well will consume some or if not all of the ammonia being produced by the fish. DO NOT add more ammonia in an attempt to establish a bacteria colony.

As long as there are plants in the tank, the lights & co2 should be run on thier normal cycle. CO2 24/7 & lights on 8-12hrs each day. Do not break that routine.

Thanks for your response. I understand that discus and guppies don't cycle well but I have no choice as they were from my old tank that started to leak.

CO2 24/7? I currently do not use a tank CO2 but use one of those carbon block submersible CO2 producers, should I still leave that on 24/7? Wouldn't that kill the oxygen supply for my fish at night?

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi chunmeep,
If you can use some old filter media and gravel from the other tank, that will greatly assist in seeding some of your beneficial bacteria to the new tank.

I wish you the best of luck, and I would suggest that, if you can't get hold of a test kit, that you find a way of having your water tested to know where your cycle is at.

As for 24/7 CO2, I would suggest if you can't turn your CO2 off at 'night' (lights off), that you add an air pump to the tank and run it at 'night' to add fresh air in.

Plants do not process as much CO2 when lights are off, so your thoughts are correct. I'm not sure what effect this would have on fish though if you couldn't turn it off over night...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Weekly

Votes: 61 65.6%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 12 12.9%
  • Monthly

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 18 19.4%

Top Bottom