Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Newly Setup Fish Tank - Need Help To Identify The Fish

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Kate Linx, Nov 11, 2018.

1. Kate LinxNew MemberMember

Hi,

I have recently bought some fish for my new tank.
    As per the assistant's advice I purchased 9 quite dynamic fish:
    a) 2 long ones (I believe denison barb)
    b) 6 colorful smaller ones
    c) 1 silver, a bit striped one (the biggest one), shape quite similar to b)

Could you help me to identify b) and c) species?
    The names were all chinese so I could not really browse the web to find them.
    Once I know the names I can find the details and adjust the conditions if necessary, but of course any advice is welcome.

Thanks in advance!

2. AquaticJFishlore VIPMember

So you got African cichlids. The other two are in fact denison Barbs. One Albino Peacock, Red Shoulder Peacock, 3 Z Rock Cichlids, and either a second Red Shoulder or a Jacob Peacock. -best of luck to you

I should add that these are pretty aggressive fish and NOT community fish.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
  3. GoodbyeValued MemberMember

What size tank do you have? I only ask because all of your new fish can grow to 6 inches or more and this will be a heavy bio load. I know it's a new tank. Are these the first fish in and has the tank cycled yet?

4. ColmCValued MemberMember

I would get a few more dension barbs to shoal it up to 5

Agree with Bill, lots of water changes if new tank

5. Kate LinxNew MemberMember

Thanks for all the replies.
    Thats what I was told - they are not supposed to be peaceful.
    They are the first fish, I let them in 1 day after the whole setup (with the biofilter).
    Now knowing that they are going to grow so much I don't think I will keep them all or possibly will replace for 100l tank within a few months (now 50l).
    Re barbs I've also just read they might need more space so need to plan it a bit.
    Cheers!

6. GoodbyeValued MemberMember

Kate,
    That store employee did not do you any favors, especially if you told him that this was a brand new tank and under 15 gallons. If you didn't do a fishless cycle on your tank, you don't have enough beneficial bacteria for your biofilter to be active. Your ammonia levels are most likely going to escalate very quickly..

If not doing so already, I recommend that get a bottle of Seachem Stability as soon as possible and follow the directions on the bottle for at least the next 7 days. Stability will add beneficial bacteria to rev up your biological filter.
    Test your water for ammonia at least daily and do appropriate large water changes to keep the levels down. Even relatively small amounts of ammonia can be toxic to your fish.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
  7. DuaneVWell Known MemberMember

You have a 13 gallon tank. None of those fish belong in a 13 gallon let alone all of them, let alone that many at once. Id remove them and return them asap before you start getting MASSIVE ammonia spikes which will kill them. Whomever told you those fish were okay all at once or okay in a 13 gallon was VERY mistaken.

8. GoodbyeValued MemberMember

I totally agree. These fish, are not appropriate for your tank. Shame on the shop that sold them.

9. CrazedHoosierWell Known MemberMember

Wow, this is one of the worst things I've ever heard a pet store associate reccomend. These fish are all highly intelligent, highly territorial, and pretty large. A 50 liter tank is something you would keep a betta and a few guppies in, definitely not any type of African cichlid. I would suggest rehoming them all, honestly. There are many people out there who love African cichlids and specialize in their care, so it shouldn't be difficult to find someone!

10. ColmCValued MemberMember

Oh I didn’t realise that it was that size.

Please return them all and let your tank cycle .

Unless you do a water change everyday they won’t last long