Newly set up planted tank

Fishjunkiejimmy

I want to set up a nice planted tank it will b my first other than sucking a few live plants in here and there and I wanna stick it with the fish in my already existing community tank mostly live bearers can I put them right into the newly set up planted tank or do I need to wait a bit for the plants to root and everything to basically settle down I plan on using the existing filter in the new tank with the rocks and some of the substrate so I would b keeping themajority of my beneficial bacteria any help is appreciated thanks

Mudminnow

You'll need to cycle your tank. You can do this in an empty tank, with just plants, or with plants and fish. Each way is more work than the last, but doable.

My preferred way to cycle a planted tank is to cycle the tank before any plants or fish are added. This way you won't have to do tons of water changes, and you won't need to worry about algae or stressing your fish or plants (far less melting).

If you choose to cycle the tank without plants or fish in it, just keep the lights off until the tank is cycled to avoid algae issues. Then, once cycled, plant the tank. The heavier you plant it (with faster growing plants) right from the start, the easier it will be to control algae. Also, with this method, I'll start fertilizing the tank the day the plants go in. And, once the tank is planted, I usually add algae eaters right after. Then, I'll add the rest of my stock bit by bit over time.

This is of course not the only way to start a planted tank. But, it is (by far) the easiest way I've found.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
PAcanis
Replies
Views
ALS
Replies
Views
Fluidmotion1987
Replies
Views