Newly set up 20 Gallon

Discussion in 'Aquarium Aquascaping' started by DTurner, Jul 15, 2015.

1. D

DTurner Valued Member Member

Hey everyone. Just put together my 20 Gallon.

I was not going for anything specific just a nice heavily planted tank.

I got some water sprite on the back left and right corners. A red flame sword. Some ludwigia which is a nice purple and dwarf sag kind of in the mid. The front is all dwarf baby tears which I hope carpets nicely.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Attached Files:

2. CindiL

CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

Beautiful!! You did a really nice job.
    Did you already cycle it?

3. Geoff

Geoff Well Known Member Member

Looks really nice!

4. OP
    OP
    D

No its not cycled. I'm thinking with plants it will take 2 weeks or so. Then I'm going to add dwarf gouramis and maybe some fancy guppies or a school of neon tetras.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

5. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Hmm I have heard that plants can actually make a tank take longer to cycle because it competes with the bacteria for ammonia? Any truth to this?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

6. OP
    OP
    D

Hey Dom90 I'm not sure if it makes it longer or not I'm going to be monitoring the levels of everything anyway in the tank.

I did read somewhere and i'll try and find it that a heavily planted tank can actually skip the cycle making it safe from the get go because the plants eat up the ammonia. However when i read that I was thinking along the same lines you are where the bacteria you want need the ammonia to kickstart.

We shall see I suppose.

7. OP
    OP
    D

Dom90 Here you go, this is an article on "Silent Cycling" Basically it sounds like a slower cycle. However since the plants take many of the nutrients there is never a spike like in a traditional fishless cycle.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice