Newly seeded tank an no readings after a week?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle' started by Craig-D, Mar 16, 2010.

1. Craig-DValued MemberMember

I started my new 29 gallon tank a week ago using all the substrate and filter media from my old established tank to seed it for an instant cycle. I filled it with completely new water. There are 10 fish currently in there to feed the newly seeded bacteria. Yet a week later I've got 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and 0 nitrates. It doesn't make sense. Even if the newly seeded tank didn't cycle correctly, there should be an ammonia reading by now. A bottle of Amquel+ stands at the ready in case that happens. But I've got 0s across the board. ph is 7.3 and temp is 76. Perhaps it is indeed cycled, but there's simply too few fish in too much clean new water to produce a nitrate reading so soon? What say you all?

2. Prince Powder

Prince PowderWell Known MemberMember

You're right you should have some readings by now. Double check the expiration dates on your test kit bottles. The last four digits of the lot numbers are the month and year they were manufactured. The API kits are supposed to be good up to three years from that date. Also make sure you are REALLY banging the nitrate #2 bottle. The crystals are difficult to mix and if you don't mix it properly you will get false readings.

3. Shawnie

ShawnieFishlore LegendMember

what size tank did they come from? the fish listed in your info, arnt huge waste producers so the new/clean water could have kept things lower ....id still watch it for a couple more weeks to be sure

4. OP
    OP
    C

Craig-DValued MemberMember

@ Prince Powder - I bought the test kit last year. The date on the bottles is '09, so it's still good. Trust me, I work over that Nitrate #2 bottle pretty well before using it.

@ Shawnie - The media and gravel all came from a 12 gallon tank that was well-established and had loads of bacteria. The move was essentially a 100% water change and the volume of water has more than doubled, so perhaps that's why there's no nitrate reading - which I'm totally fine with in a tank I know is cycled. But with a newly started tank it's my only way to know all is okay, so I want to see at least 5 ppm. The fact that there's no ammonia after a week leads me to believe it's okay though. Still, I am testing every day to monitor it.

5. OP
    OP
    C

Craig-DValued MemberMember

Well, be careful what you wish for. Got some readings finally. A bit less than .25 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and about .25 nitrates. Looks like I've got a mini-cycle going on. The bacteria is in place, but just needs time to catch up to the bigger tank and bio-load. I'll treat with Amquel+ until it catches up.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice