newly planted tank

1. Anubie Initiate Member

Hey fish lovers I need some advice.
    Ive recently taken over my partners tropical tank since he decided marine was more for him. Ive removed some fish added a substrate,plants and driftwood. Im waiting for a test kit to turn up but unsure of what exactly im looking for. I bought test kit because some plants were dying, some were sold to me that obviously werent meant to be submerged fully (thanks pet shop) that ive since removed. I also am having trouble restocking my tank since my partner chose "cool" fish rather than compatable and im finding it hard to find colourful small friends that fit in well with a planted tank and a convict cichlid that hes not interested in eating. And yes im aware of his rearranging the furniture type behaviour hes been up to alot of mischief since the planting.I think my tanks about 40 gallons. So far a good sized convict cichlid,a red tail shark, ember tetras, neon tetras (convicts fave food source), pleco not sure which type but about 5 inches and a chinese algae eater. Thanks in advance ☺
    [​IMG]

2. axel Well Known Member Member

how is your lighting?what plant do you have?

3. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

I believe the shark is a little big for a tank that size but need clarification from others.

Convict cichlid will be eating the tetras for sure. You could probably have a mating pair of convicts and something else??

If that Pleco is a Bristlenose then I think it's suitable for your tank. I think Chinese algae eaters get too big though.

Hope to see what people say here.

4. Anubie Initiate Member

I have a aquaone plantglo light. I have some anubias, crypts and swords left after removing the dying plants that werent suitable. I also have another plant thats been growing like crazy thats been split in three because it out grew the tank height wise.

My algae eaters been with us two years althougj ive heard they get quite long i think double what it already is. How big do the sharks get?
    Im not really interested in mating my convict at the moment since they can be quite aggressive when paired plus i want a planted tank and they rearrange their enviroment to mate. Ive tried to look up tank mates but get alot of conflicting info or get fish that are also large and i just dont think thats fair on them regarding my tank size. Ive though about a larger tank but would rather make mistakes on a smaller scale to start with.
    Just more after something the convict wont care about being there. He leaves the embers alone and has small spats with the bigger fish but they hold their own and its usuallly quite peaceful theres just alot of open space at the top and middle since most are bottom dwellers.

5. Charles556 Member Member

CAE's can grow to 11 inches and from what I've researched, prefer a 4 ft tank minimum (50, 55, 75 gal). The red tail shark can grow to around 6 inches.