Newly Cycled, Going On Vac

Photobelle

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
We finally cycled our tank! I did a 25% water change on sat. We are leaving next wed am and will be back Monday pm. Would you do the weekly water change on this sat; so a week from when I last did it or hold off a few days and do it say Tues the day before we leave for vac? We only have a pregnant platy and 2 (maybe got driftwood with little snails on them and still getting them out) snails. I want to make it so my mom just has to feed her. I can't wait to add more fish when we get back!

danhutchins

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Photobelle said:
We finally cycled our tank! I did a 25% water change on sat. We are leaving next wed am and will be back Monday pm. Would you do the weekly water change on this sat; so a week from when I last did it or hold off a few days and do it say Tues the day before we leave for vac? We only have a pregnant platy and 2 (maybe got driftwood with little snails on them and still getting them out) snails. I want to make it so my mom just has to feed her. I can't wait to add more fish when we get back!
What size tank? The one fish may not be enough to keep your cycle going. I would add more before you go just remember not to many at once but it really depends on what size your tank is.

Photobelle

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
danhutchins said:
What size tank? The one fish may not be enough to keep your cycle going. I would add more before you go just remember not to many at once but it really depends on what size your tank is.
It is 20long. She is due to have her babies any day that is why we are not adding any fish. That and I don't want an Ammonia spike while we are gone as my mom won't be testing it.

danhutchins

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Photobelle said:
It is 20long. She is due to have her babies any day that is why we are not adding any fish. That and I don't want an Ammonia spike while we are gone as my mom won't be testing it.
The one fish will not be enough to keep the cycle. If you only add 2-3 more the ammonia shouldn't spike. I wouldn't do more than that.

Photobelle said:
The babies are going to be to small to help keep it cycled.

Photobelle

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hmm ok guess I will grab a couple more platies to keep her company til we get back and figure out what we are doing fish wise

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom