Newly aggressive Angelfish

MD Angels

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
HI everyone,

I have two angelfish that no longer get along. I bought "Miguel", my marble/gold when he was maybe nickel-quarter size, and about 3 months later, "Dante", my black/silver veiltail, when he was about dime/penny size (I only assume they are both boys, I don't really know).

For the most part they lived together in peace, although they managed to kill off some tetras. Miguel, being the largest one, always bossed Dante around, but was never really mean, and there were rarely ripped fins.

Once Dante reached about a loonie/twoonie (Canadian) size, he one day became relentlessly aggressive toward Miguel, after 1) I changed around the silk plants and 2) One of Miguel's bent ventral fins broke off (I bought him not for his beauty, but his awesome personality!!!) Right now, Miguel is in the 25 G tall tank, and Dante is in the 10 G quarantine on time -out.

I separated them originally, for about a week and they acted like nothing had happened after returning Dante to the tank. But maybe 2 months or less later, Dante's relentless chasing and picking at fins and really mean attitude started again.
Could they be both females? Males? Miguel an uninterested female?
I saw a little bit of their breeding tubes, but no the whole thing, so I don't know. But if I keep them together, Dante will seriously harm or even kill Miguel.

I'm not sure what to do. Miguel is with 3 female Betas in his 25 g tank - parameters are ok - 0 ammonia, 5 nitrate, 0 nitrite, 7.0-7.2 Ph, 78 degrees. They were normal when I separated them too, except the first time, the temp. was 80. Dante is alone in his 10 G, in time out.

Thank you for taking the time to read this, I appreciate any feedback!

Laurax

bencross

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
ok well I have had this problem too before. what I found out is angel fish are agrresive once one becomes dominate so its best to have 3 or more so the two less dominate two or so have so protection (or another to have the aggresive attitude taken out on so it becomes less aggressive). and it worked great for mine. and once angel fish get bigger which they get HUGE they will stock and eat little fish such as neon tetras. well hope this helps. so id consider another angel fish around the same size or keep them separated..

MD Angels

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Thanks for the reply Bencross.

I had three at one time, about 5 months ago but Miguel really didn't like him and he ended up with hole in the head, and everyone got sick, but obviously the other 2 angels are fine now.
Dante seems to be fairly aggressive with most fish - he was the one that really chased the bloodfins. I am considering getting another (bigger) tank, just for him, and maybe some friends in the future.
I will try putting him back in with Miguel and the bettas in about a week and hopefully they can reconcile!
Thanks again!

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads