Newest set up

StarGirl15

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I got a few more plants and installed my new LED. (It fit in my hood!!!)

I put in my Thrive C, Iron and 1ml Excel.
My question is is that amount of Excel going to kill my Vals, shrimp and snails?

Someone said you could start with a small dose and build up immunity that way. The reason I'm dosing it is for BBA. I'm also waiting for my lfs to get SAEs for me.
20191117_144751.jpg

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Your tank always amazes me! It's exactly like looking at my 55 when I first planted mine. ( which actually yours looks much better than mine did early on ;) I have no experience with Vals but I believe Excel is a no-no for them but as far as shrimps and snails i've never had any issues dosing it. You should go to a pharmacy and ask them for a syringe and add a section of airline tubing that way you can suck some Excel out of the bottle and spot-dose right onto the BBA.

OP
StarGirl15

StarGirl15

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm waiting for my SAEs!!! If they didn't come in last WED I will have them order them for me. It is kinda getting on everything now a little bit. So spot dosing is out for now. If it starts getting worse Ill try it. Toeknee said in the BBA post he started off with a super small amount and worked up and his Vals were good and didn't melt.

Its really fun messing with my light on my phone! I still have to figure that whole thing out!

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
StarGirl15 said:
I'm waiting for my SAEs!!! If they didn't come in last WED I will have them order them for me. It is kinda getting on everything now a little bit. So spot dosing is out for now. If it starts getting worse Ill try it. Toeknee said in the BBA post he started off with a super small amount and worked up and his Vals were good and didn't melt.
Yes I believe I did hear that about Vals and Excel if you dose very small amounts they will be able to tolerate it. The SAE's will make your tank look like the BBA was never even there.
Which light did you get? A fluval 3.0

OP
StarGirl15

StarGirl15

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
kallililly1973 said:
Yes I believe I did hear that about Vals and Excel if you dose very small amounts they will be able to tolerate it. The SAE's will make your tank look like the BBA was never even there.
Which light did you get? A fluval 3.0
Yeah Aquasky bluetooth

StarGirl15 said:
Yeah Aquasky bluetooth
It was cheaper than the finnex AND they had one in the store! :p

OP
StarGirl15

StarGirl15

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Its the 2.0 the 3.0 is crazy expensive. :eek:

OP
StarGirl15

StarGirl15

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have 2 heaters in there because our furnace took a poop and I don't want my new one to get over worked! :p

jake37

Well Known
Reaction score
I was dosing 5 capful twice a week of excel in a 120 gallon tank - I think it might have hurt some of my plants but my jungle val still grew out of control (leaves are 4+ feet long and close to 3/4 inch+ wide). I did that for about 5 months but have decided to drop excel now that I'm injecting some co2. I'm not really having a problem with BBA but I am getting some algae - mostly diatoms I think but it vacuums right off when I do water changes. When I was using excel I would get a little BBA but after a while it stopped and went away after a bit.

OP
StarGirl15

StarGirl15

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think once I get my SAEs it won't be a problem anymore. Its just hard to get them here I guess.

New Threads