Newest family member needs a name

Status
Not open for further replies.

BullRider

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
A bit of background: Old Blue passed away on Tuesday, just three days shy of the four year anniversary of the day I picked him up. He had a healthy life right up to the end only slowing down the last two or three days. Never took off off a sick day and made sure all the shrimps in his environment got plenty of exercise. When I walked in the door, he always swam up to the front corner to greet me. Or more likely to see if I was going to feed him. Blue knew his name and knew how to get my attention by making a splash in the water. ...likely to see if I would feed him.

This leads me to the problem.

Personally, I cannot tolerate ETS. Yes, brand me so. I am ETS intolerant! However I hope to bring my problem to the attention of all that Empty Tank Syndrome is real! It is a problem and it has serious consequences. Symptoms include (but not limited to) loss of productivity, inability to remember recent events by focusing on the past, blurred vision, shaky hands, loss of appetite and even holes burning in your pockets. Thankfully ETS is curable[SUP]*[/SUP]. See your LFS for details.

The first stage of my treatment is complete and I have a new member of the family to show for it.

However this guy needs a name and I am stumped so I figured that I would turn to the Fishlore community for ideas!

And yes, he is very curious about the resident shrimpies. You can tell this ghostie was thrilled to have a new tank mate after about three days without resident betta! Well, maybe not so thrilled...

Cheerios!

Dan

Pocket hole burning sensation may continue even after treatment.

Aquaphobia

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
My condolences on your loss and your continued suffering.

Now to names for the new guy! I'm a gardener and his colouration reminds me of the flowers of certain kinds of plants. So far:

Mallow
Nightshade
Aubergine
Okra
Holly(hock)

I'll try to think of others

BullRider

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Update: ETS symptoms are going away... and the names are helping! I had not thought of the flower aspect. That's something to consider.

In my LFS (well, corporate pet store but mine has a well-run aquatic department), I had narrowed my choices down to two and picked this one because I felt he would stand out visually... and he does.

I was watching him last night in the night lights and this morning. He still has not fully investigated this environment. It's 20 gallons and had a number of objects, caves and plants in there. In fact, the first place he "rested" was on the handle of a mug I have in there that I use for a container for an amazon sword compacta. That was a favorite spot for Blue, as well.

One thing that is interesting is how many ghostie fry that he is stirring up. I bet there are at least 25. So far, he seems to have left them alone but if he wants a snack, that's okay, too. I'm sure the ghosties will make more!

And I'm truly okay with everything. I would think four healthy years with no real concerns was a good life for a betta. I just couldn't stand the empty tank and added the part of my ETS experience for a bit of humor.

However the pocket hole burning sensation I think is truly real...

Thanks for the input!

waterlilykari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
ETS is real and so is the pocket in the hole burning sensation! No sooner than I had finally found someone who agreed to sell me a nicer setup for ours than he currently is in for a reasonable price, then I went to the LPS for something completely unrelated and in passing spotted the most gorgeous pearly white betta. I haven't even picked up the other tank yet and ETS has already begun setting in! We should form a support group here on FishLore

aliray

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
ETS is real and so is the pocket in the hole burning sensation! No sooner than I had finally found someone who agreed to sell me a nicer setup for ours than he currently is in for a reasonable price, then I went to the LPS for something completely unrelated and in passing spotted the most gorgeous pearly white betta. I haven't even picked up the other tank yet and ETS has already begun setting in! We should form a support group here on FishLore 
This is probably not the place because we can all come up with a reason for more, more and more. We are actually a bunch of enablers instead. Alison

aliray

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Update: ETS symptoms are going away... and the names are helping! I had not thought of the flower aspect. That's something to consider.

In my LFS (well, corporate pet store but mine has a well-run aquatic department), I had narrowed my choices down to two and picked this one because I felt he would stand out visually... and he does.

I was watching him last night in the night lights and this morning. He still has not fully investigated this environment. It's 20 gallons and had a number of objects, caves and plants in there. In fact, the first place he "rested" was on the handle of a mug I have in there that I use for a container for an amazon sword compacta. That was a favorite spot for Blue, as well.

One thing that is interesting is how many ghostie fry that he is stirring up. I bet there are at least 25. So far, he seems to have left them alone but if he wants a snack, that's okay, too. I'm sure the ghosties will make more!

And I'm truly okay with everything. I would think four healthy years with no real concerns was a good life for a betta. I just couldn't stand the empty tank and added the part of my ETS experience for a bit of humor.

However the pocket hole burning sensation I think is truly real...

Thanks for the input!
Do your ghost shrimp breed and raise babies in your tank, or are they ones that you have bought? Alison

BullRider

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
We should form a support group here on FishLore
A most excellent idea!

One area I have a problem with is that I have three 10 gallon tanks that I use for hospital tanks or an another emergency (i.e. broken main tank, etc.) Thankfully, they are rarely in use so they are just sitting there but they could be used for something... I can only rationalize not setting them up in that I'm making 20 gallons my minimum because it is even easier to keep the water quality consistent. I've done the divided 10 thing, then 10 solo but I find everyone is happier with the 20 longs.

One good thing... I just missed the $1 per gallon sale at Petco....

Do your ghost shrimp breed and raise babies in your tank, or are they ones that you have bought? Alison
In two tanks with resident bettas, the ghosties successfully breed quite well.

I only do two things. One is that I keep a corner stuffed with java moss that I don't really clean except to blow out any accumulated debris from under the mass of moss. This is a "safe" area that the betta really can't get into although sometimes they do get their "nose" in there.

The other is when I see new fry floating around, I turn the pump off for the better part of a day and I use the mag cleaner to clean parts of the glass every few hours and watch the newly released fry drift through it.

Oh, and to maintain the corner, I use a Harbor Freight inspection camera and stick it under the moss (and inside ornaments) to look for any dead shrimps that might have ended up there. It doesn't happen that often but when there are whole generations of shrimps, it does happen.

Anyhow, I'm certain that percentage of surviving fry making it to an adult but I am certain that the bettas will snack on them but I accept that as part of the cycle.

"Grape Ape" was suggested by someone today. Well, it would need to be purple with a green jacket but you get the idea. I guess a ghostie would be Beegle Beagle. Anyhow, it's one to consider.

Another suggested "Barney". No. Just no. I mean, new buddy, I love you and I hope you love me and I want us to be a great big happy family, but no. Barney is off the list.

Oh, one flower name did come to mind: Orchid. Maybe...

Anyhow, I need to give him some attention. He's fairly comfortable with his environment but isn't eating just yet but I'm sure he will. He was a new arrival and spent less than 18 hours in a cup in the store. He has sampled a few micro pellets but spit them back out. Some are fussy that way.

Either that or he has helped himself to some fries... fries not from a potato.

Cheerios

Last edited by a moderator:

NinjaTetra

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I like orchid, his tail looks like it could be from a flower. What about James?

waterlilykari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
"Grape Ape" was suggested by someone today. Well, it would need to be purple with a green jacket but you get the idea. I guess a ghostie would be Beegle Beagle. Anyhow, it's one to consider.

Another suggested "Barney". No. Just no. I mean, new buddy, I love you and I hope you love me and I want us to be a great big happy family, but no. Barney is off the list.

Oh, one flower name did come to mind: Orchid. Maybe...

Anyhow, I need to give him some attention. He's fairly comfortable with his environment but isn't eating just yet but I'm sure he will. He was a new arrival and spent less than 18 hours in a cup in the store. He has sampled a few micro pellets but spit them back out. Some are fussy that way.

Either that or he has helped himself to some fries... fries not from a potato.

Cheerios
Hey, if he did help himself to some then chances are his dinner was much healthier than the kind of fries we land-lubbers might indulge in on occasion

BullRider

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Hey, if he did help himself to some then chances are his dinner was much healthier than the kind of fries we land-lubbers might indulge in on occasion 
I prefer baked fries myself but yes, live food for him (and us) is always best. That is why I don't mind the fry getting eaten and should the population dwindle, I have a highly populated ghostie only tank to replenish. However I have only had one betta that really went after the larger shrimps and he was good at it. Left only the shells and the rest of the ghosties would take care of that. The rest of the bettas I'm sure are snacking on a few now and then and that's okay, too.

Now I need to finish off that tomato I sliced up... YUMMY That's my kind of live food!

BullRider

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Do you feed the ghosts or do you let them scavenge?
I generally will toss in some shrimp food once a week or so. Maybe a little more during the week.

I find that the shrimps are messy eaters and leave behind a fine layer of debris that I feel needs to be cleaned up. The amount I give has to be carefully regulated to minimize the chance of over feeding.

Also I do keep the front and sides of the aquarium glass generally clean but let the back get build up to a point. I'll find the shrimps on the back glass chowing down.

And as I said above, I clean the glass when new fry are released. That seems to help give them a start. To that end, I might hold off on front / side cleaning if there is a big berried female getting 'close.'

Finally, the ghosties didn't start breeding until the tank was a couple years old. It seems that a certain level of varied life needs to be present before their fry started to survive on a regular basis.

Sent from my BlackBerry Z30 - Please excuse my brevity or any typographical errors.

NinjaTetra

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Thats good to know. Would you recommend shrimp in a heavily planted 10 gallon?

BullRider

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Thats good to know. Would you recommend shrimp in a heavily planted 10 gallon?
In your case, it would depend on the their tank mates. After all, shrimps make for an easy tasty meal.

My primary experience is with bettas and moderately planted tanks. Even then, the results have varied. I just expect a few shrimps to get picked off every now and then. And I have heard reports of bettas taking out a bunch of shrimps. Just remember the laws of nature are still in effect.

I have had shrimps with other fish with very mixed results. For example, I popped a few ghosties in a tank with a bunch of tetras. The adults seemed to be totally ignored but when some fry were released, I saw several still in their larval stage get eaten.

Shrimps are safe with Otos (and likely close relatives to the Otos.)

What I can say that the red cherries do a very good job of cleaning algae off my plants and ornaments.

I can also say that my shrimps like to hang out on the plants more than anywhere else.

Also if food gets dropped into a plant, I've seen shrimps go after it.

Hope that helps.

aliray

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I had 2 more name suggestions, That picture of the Betta and shrimp I thought BUBBA GUMP, or because he got really good at everything he tried, FORREST GUMP Alison.

Last edited:

waterlilykari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Do you feed the ghosts or do you let them scavenge?
I mix it up but feed once a week or so for mine too: whether flakes, a tiny pellet or fragment of an algae or sinking bottom feeder disk, it's always a tiny amount and in the case of the flakes or the tropical micro pellets, I let them disperse and let her find it throughout the week. I also vacuum out obvious leftovers if my son tries to help feed the betta and shrimp tank because he tends to really majorly overfeed them. My husband isn't so bad once I pointed out that a single ghost shrimp doesn't need to be getting an entire carnivore pellet or similar sized algae mini disk or bottom feeder mini disk to herself every single day, twice a day because it was fouling the water faster than I could find and remove them. The ghost shrimp will also sometimes hang out on plants and picks something off the surface there - I'm assuming algae too insignificant for me to see yet - but at least I know if we missed a feeding, she wouldn't starve.

BullRider

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Well, the name for the new betta is....

ORKIN

I was taking Aquaphonia's lead and thinking about names of flowers and such and had kinda honed on Orchid.

Then yesterday I saw him jump out of the water to grab a snack flying just over the water. So he gets rid of bugs, that's good, and like the company he is named after.

Then today I purchased a new ornament for the tank to give him an extra place to investigate (a hollow stump, I'm y'all have seem then countless times) that also supports the mug raise it higher in the water.

While I situating it, he almost got stuck in the corner. He was investigating everywhere even as I continued to place it. He loved to get in the corners, just like a good bug man.

So that's how I arrived at the name: Part Orchid and part pest control.

Thanks for everyones help. This one was hard to name.

Cheerios!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 23 26.1%
  • No

Votes: 8 9.1%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 57 64.8%

Top Bottom