Newborn molly fish! Please help!

1. prowlsgurl Initiate Member

I was expecting my Mollies to not give birth for a few more weeks. This is my first time having any babies. I have 2 right now (all I can find) in a breeder. I have my ten gallon and just got home from the pet shop when I saw them swimming around. I managed to save 2 and they seem to be doing well. Just wondering how long I should keep them in there? And when and how often to feed them? Also any other advice would be awesome. Thanks!

2. RogueAgent94 Fishlore Legend Member

Hi!

I would feed them every two to three hours after sunrise till sunset. Or between the hours your tank lights are on. Just crush up some flakes into powder and feed a tiny pinch each time. The more often you can feed them the better. Make sure you clean out the bottom of their little box though! I wouldn't keep them in there for longer than a week or two because they will start growing like crazy soon.

3. prowlsgurl Initiate Member

Alright! That should be long enough to get it set up my ten gallon correct? Also they haven't eaten yet. I heard three times a day, so maybe night, morning, and afternoon?

4. RogueAgent94 Fishlore Legend Member

Three times a day would work with older fry but as often as you an you should feed them.

Hm.. yeah I suppose so. You can instantly cycle by using some of your media from the cycled tank and putting it in the new tank.

5. prowlsgurl Initiate Member

Lol just fed em. They are munching away. I hope they'll be alright til' morning. So just clean out the breeder once a day? Oh and I will be using some water from the main tank plus some fresh. I'll use a little gravel too from that tank. Plus Start Zyme.

6. RogueAgent94 Fishlore Legend Member

I believe startzyme is useless. If I remember correctly it is just terrestrial bacteria which dies off in a while but it also doesn't leave room for aquatic bacteria to grow which is the good type. So I wouldn't use that. Yeah I would do a waterchange (around 50%) every day or twice a day. I use a little air tube to vacuum out any uneaten food. I wouldn't put gravel in there right now because it is easier to clean when it is barebottom. A small chunk of your filter media would be good though. Is this a completely plastic breeder box that doesn't have any water flow from the large tank? Use only tank water to change the water. You don't want to shock the babies.

Don't be worried about them not eating during the night. They don't eat at night normally so when the light in the tank goes off that's when they go to sleep. Don't feed right before the tank light goes off as well because the food won't be eaten.

7. prowlsgurl Initiate Member

Right now they are in a just a small breeder with netting. So in the ten gallon tank, take out all the gravel? Because I have some plants for them that I was gonna put in that need that to stay put. For the water change you mean on the 10 gallon once they are in it?

8. RogueAgent94 Fishlore Legend Member

I'm confused lol! So right now they are in a breeder net in the 10g or they will be soon moved to a 10g by themselves? I would keep any container you have them in without any sort of substrate. It is easier to clean and the cleaner the water the faster and better they grow. If they are kept in a 10g by themselves then you don't have to add old tank water with freshwater. It can be all freshwater. I was thinking that you had them in and all plastic breeder box in your larger tank haha. Sorry if I'm confusing you!

9. prowlsgurl Initiate Member

Lol it's fine. To put it simple. Right now they are in a netted breeder (3 now XD) which is hanging in the same 20 gallon tank as the parents. My 10 gallon is empty right now and I have decorations and some gravel.

10. RogueAgent94 Fishlore Legend Member

Ah! That's helpful lol. Okay, what you want to do is keep the 10g barebottom. You can add a bunch of silk or plastic plants if you want. Live ones work great as well. The babies will hide in the plants. Then you want to fill the fishtank with water from the 20g that they are in right now. Then release the fish into their new home. A 10g is great for growing out a couple of fry. Remember that you need a heater and a filter for the tank so before you put the babies in the tank you need to get those if you don't already have any. To instantly cycle the tank you want to cut out some media from your 20g's filter and put it in the 10g's filter when you add the babies. That way you don't have to go through the hassle of cycling the tank.