Newborn Leopard Gecko

Kasye

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Newborn Gecko

A friend found this brand new baby gecko that needed someone to take care of it, and everyone knows me as the reptile lady, haha. I've never cared for a baby this young before, but I'm trying my best.

It's 5 days old now (3 days when the picture was taken.) Right now I have it in a 10 gallon with newspaper substrate. The little guy does seem to be eating!

IMG_1610.JPG

Last edited:

Kasye

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Oh my god, haha, the little guy just managed to escape. The only guess I can make is he had climbed onto the bottom of a lid I just took out of the tank (I was using to hold mealworms, just bought him something actually made for the purpose today), since leopard geckos can't climb glass. Luckily my sister saw him, it couldn't have been 10 minutes from when I took the lid out, so he's back in his tank after his first little adventure.

It was such a weird place, I didn't even think to check. I assumed he was in one of his hides!

Kasye

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I managed to get a short video of them drinking water droplets!

[video=youtube;LeaMJixrTBY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeaMJixrTBY&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Last edited:

Makena95'GT

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
That's most definitely not a Leo lol that's one of those little wild buggers I see all the time out here.

A baby Leo even that young would be bigger with a fatter tail, smaller eyes, and a broad striped pattern on it.

Especially considering it was 'found'. Leos are not native to anywhere but the Iran-ish area (I always forget exactly which country)

Cute nonetheless!

Kasye

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Well, dang, I looked it up and they do look more like a house gecko! By "found", I mean my friend found it at a petstore where someone had dropped it off saying their leopard gecko had babies and didn't want it, and the store gave it to him. But hmm... that is interesting. Well, I'll keep raising them and see what they grow up to be, haha! Definitely looks like a house gecko though. I even have an adult leo, I've just never seen such a young baby before, so I just assumed they were right.

Wendigoblue

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thats definitely a Mediterranean House Gecko (their care is like a leo, but more humid). I currently have one and they're pretty easy to care for. They are fast and do climb up the side of the tank very quickly. Your's is very cute! Good luck!

Kasye

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks for pointing this out, the both of you! It's very helpful to know this! I did think this baby seemed awfully fast and jumpy for a leo!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom