Newborn Convict Cichlid Help

Discussion in 'Convict Cichlid' started by kaitlynnicole94, Apr 18, 2018.

1. k

kaitlynnicole94 New Member Member

I currently have my newborn male convict in a 40-gallon with a few gouramis because he's too small to do any damage and I didn't have anywhere else to put him. I'm definitely out of my area of expertise here. I'm looking for suggestions on what to do. If I get him his own tank, what size are we thinking? What fish are suggested to live with him? I realize it's ignorant to get a fish without doing any research but he was only $0.99 and I sort of jumped the gun!

I attached a picture. He's really fast and really small so I had to zoom in. You may not be able to see him clearly 20180419_001139.jpg

2. david1978

david1978 Fishlore VIP Member

I would think something like a 20 long would work as a permanent home since i think the minimum for a pair is a 29. Tank mates im not sure, i had a pair in a 55 and once the started breeding nothing was safe to have with them. Of course bigger is always better.

3. Bry

Bry Valued Member Member

Convicts are semi-aggressive and I will say when he gets bigger probably would kill your gouramis. I would say at least a 20. My mom kept her pair with Jewel Cichlids. But it depends on how big of a tank you get to if he can even have tankmates. My mom's pair were very territorial and killed anyone that came near their half of the tank.

4. OP
    OP
    k

kaitlynnicole94 New Member Member

I'd like to delete this because I found a a solution but I'm not sure how to do it

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice