newbies set up

lintulover666

Reaction score
Well I'm new to keeping fish. My dad has had them before but was forced to sell them when we moved over 6 years ago.
Anyway I have a 65 litre tank (aqua one) It has an UG filter. I know not great but with the money I earn was best I could afford as it all came together along with the heater.
At the moment it has 1 male guppy and three females. 1 platy and 3 neons. I think my females are pregnant as they all have a gravid spot which they had when I bought them and have to say bellies are getting slightly bigger everyday.
V the tank the night I set it up
clear.gif

V tank as it is now
clear.gif

v very blurry male guppy ( those things are fast, haven't managed to get ones of the females yet)
clear.gif

v my platy
clear.gif

Because I'm assuming the guppies are pregnant I'm getting a new tank on thursday thought its off ebay but am going to inspect and buy if its ok but apparently it has a dwarf gouramI and 3 male guppies in already.
So not sure what to do about that the gouramI should be ok in the tank I have but I know about the male to female guppy ratio so not sure what to do, may see if they can find another home for them.

Attachments

Gunnie

Well Known
Reaction score
Very nice!  Yep, you're probably gonna have to find homes for the guppies and the gourami. How big is the new tank gonna be?  You might be able to try them all together if it's quite a bit larger than what you already have.  You also need to keep in mind that your new tank is not cycled, and you definitely need to watch your ammonia and nitrites right now so you don'tkill your new fish.  If the new tank is large enough to accomodate both tanks of fish combined, and the new tank is cycled, you will probably be okay, at least as far as the cycling goes.  If you are not sure about cycling, please check out these newbie articles here on FishLore:

Anything you don't understand, please post your questions in the beginners forum so we can help you keep your tank healthy.   

Also, if you don't already have them, you need ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate tests ASAP to monitor your tank while it's cycling, and routinely thereafter.  Let us know if you have these tests, and if not, we can help you with recommendations on that also.   

OP
L

lintulover666

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info gunnie.
The new tank is just 12 gallons I think and they have in it three male guppies and the dwarf gourami.
The dwarf gouramI should be ok in my 65 litre tank don't you think? But I think I will have to let them rehome the male guppies.
The new tank would justbe used for guppy fry so will have it being cycled for a few weeks at least before anything will go in it..

I don't have any test kits at the moment but we took a sample into our lfs who did all the tests and said that everything was fine but they didnt tell us exact results. The tank that's set up we have used dechlorinator in, something I believe was called safe start.
I am planning to get a test kit as soon as I can get out to buy one which should be soon.

Gunnie

Well Known
Reaction score
Yep. Definitely get those tests! A master Test Kit from Aquarium Pharmaceuticals is the best way to go. You can go to the PetSmart website and find the master test kit online. Print the page showing the kit and price, and take the page to your local PetSmart. They should honor the online price which is about $13.50. This will save you at least half of what you would normally pay.

OP
L

lintulover666

Reaction score
as far as I know there isn't a pet smart in the uk but I'm sure ill find something. thanks for the help.

x

Gwenz

Well Known
Reaction score
That is a lovely tank! I live in UK too and there are no Pet Smart here. >

Do you have a Pets at home near you? This is where I go, and it is great. They sell the API test kits at quite a good price.

Gwenz

OP
L

lintulover666

Reaction score
I was planning to look in my closest pets at home and I have a garden centre called badshot lea near me with a lovely aquatics section so will also check there when I go to get a cabinat tomorrow.
thanks for the help.

x

taiidan

Reaction score
nick ur guppies look more rdy 2 give brith more than mine and heres an idea if ur planing on breeding them and if u get that other tank u can use the smaller 1 4 the baby's (if poss use a breeding trap ( 1 of my black mollies droped 1 baby 2 day when I was at work it can't get Eaton as the baby 1 is 2 big 2 fit into most of there mouths (appart from 2) and I think its a male 1)

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Those pictures are beautiful. I love the one of hurley. He is one gorgeous fish.

Rose

LilaBean

Reaction score
great pics-- love the decor rock in your tank-- we have been looking for something like that forever!! with no luck unfortunately--hurley is so gorgeous!! i've yet to get any guppies--but love looking at them at the LFS

OP
L

lintulover666

Reaction score
hey thanks for all the comments. Today I got rid of the three guppies I got with the tank, a lady I know took them and I know she will look after them.
the dwarf gouramI is in my main tank and is doing fine. I moved my two females over to the new tank (which was already cycled the family left it with water in when we collected it.
they are definitely looking bigger now and one is being a bit aggressive so I don't know if she is getting terratorial.

I also got a test kit and all seems as it should be though I think the ph might be a little high.

x

Fenrir

Reaction score
Definitly a good set up. It is hard to find that balance where there is enough 'stuff' in the tank without looking crowded. Thanks for sharing^_^

New Threads