Newbies and needing advice!!

1. johnnoandkelz Initiate Member

Aqua clear drops make water cloudy!!!

Hello we are new to fresh water tropical fish tanks. .. we have this awesome set up... However was informed by pet store to add aqua clear drops once a week. Every time I add the recommended amount as soon as it hits the water it turns cloudy not whole tank goes cloudy and fish don't like it. What do I do???

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. Jim Well Known Member Member

Hello and welcome, first you'll have to give us the exact name on the bottle. I have googled "AQua Clear drops" and searched 2 of the larger mail order sites with no luck for those words. Second - please fill in your tank profile so we can see what you have and what you know about fish.(tank size, filter, lights, substrate, nitrogen cycle, water changes, etc) Then you will most likely get more advice than you can handle. Thanks for stopping by.

3. johnnoandkelz Initiate Member

Hello we are new to tropical fish tanks. We have a 90 litre aquaone brand aquarium. We have fish in it, heater is on right temp. The pH levels are perfect, the nitrate levels are great, ammonia is high!! Water is cloudy, have been doing daily gravel vacuuming, treatments etc. With the water was told by pet store to use aqua clear. Did this by following the instructions as soon as it went into the water it went white and made entire tank cloudy (last night)... seems to be clearer today but still cloudy... any ideas??

4. fishingdeep Member Member

I don't think you let the tank cycle from what I see? Do you have a test kit ?

5. blusshed Well Known Member Member

First, you have roughly 24 gallons...

Which type of fish do you have? And quantity? That would really help us solve the problem...
    Also, as fishingdeep stated, it doesn't seem like your aquarium has completed it's nitrogen cycle...

Please post your most recent water parameters in PPM for Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrates.

Also, I would nix the aqua clear, you shouldn't need any of that once your tank is cycled... Cloudy water is most likely from the ammonia, or a bacterial bloom...

After you post your most recent parameters, we should be able to guide you in the right direction!

6. Kurty Member Member

How long has tank been setup?In an established tank there should not be any ammonia how much do you feed and how often?

7. Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

Merged threads.

8. johnnoandkelz Initiate Member

Hello oh my just worked out how to find these responses.. tank is responsibly newish a few weeks old. Feeding every second day. Since posting this the ammonia levels are dropping down (thank god) I am new to fish tanks.... scared as . Get upset wen my guppies die :( but water is clearing....

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app