Newbie with some questions.....

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Deacon, Apr 10, 2006.

1. DeaconNew MemberMember

Hi guys,

Im really new at owning a tank. I recently got a 30 gallon for free. I went out and bought I believe everything I need to get started. If you guys dont mind I sure could use some advise on what steps to take next....

This is what I bought....

Penguin 660r powerhead
    Penguin 170 Bio Wheel
    All needed decor(plastic plants, gravel, rock)
    Heater, Thermometer

Cycle 4oz botte
    Aqua Plus

Ok I have set up tank washed cleaned boiled everything I should. I have setup my tank added water and added proper amount of cycle and aquaplus. Now for the questions......I know I have to wait for the cycle to finish.

1. What is my next step?
    2. I think I need to check levels for next couple of weeks right. I did buy a master test kit as well.
    3. The lady at the pet store said I could put fish in in as soon as 1 weeks. After everything I read that just doesnt sound right does it?
    4. What should I be looking for during the cycle?

I really apprectiate your knowlegde and help. Hope you guys dont mind a new guy whos gonna ask ALOT of questions..... ;D

Thanks

2. KelleyNew MemberMember

Deacon

I would read all the newbie articles you can and save yourself time and trouble. I started my tank 55 gal tank 6 weeks ago, I finally got some readings on my tank. I would not add fish yet. Knowing what I know now I would have done the fishless cycle.

3. ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

This is a great place to start. Glad your fishless cycling. Your fish will thank you also ;)
    Carol

4. chickadeeFishlore VIPMember

A lot of people don't like Cycle but I used some on a filter that I needed cycled in a hurry and it may have helped some, just don't count on it doing the job by a lot. The fishless cycle is the only way to go and I am proud of you for doing one. It is the only humane way to go. The fish do not need to start out going through all that stress.

Maybe someone who knows a little more about the filters can tell you, but I don't understand the need for a Powerhead and a Bio-wheel. (but then my biggest tank is a 5 gallon and all I use is the Bio-wheel and I love them)
    Also since this is a new tank and you will be starting out brand new I will give you a tip that I wish I had known and followed since day one. Test your tap water to see what the nitrate levels are in it before you even add anything to it. You may be dealing with a nitrate problem directly out of the tap like I am. If that is the case and you have nitrates already there, I would suggest switching from Aqua Plus to Amquel+. I recently got that information from Gunnie that it helps take care of nitrate, nitrite, ammonia and heavy metals as well as chlorine and chloramine. BUT do not do this until your tank has cycled as the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate balances have to happen on their own during that time.

You will be checking levels for the rest of the time you have fish, but at least every day during the cycle (about 4-6 weeks). (and no you will not be putting fish in during this time - unless you choose the frozen fish from the grocery store method) If you have read the article on the Nitrogen Cycle that Butterfly recommended, then you will know what all to expect and how to accomplish the fishless cycle and so I will not go into these.

Welcome to Fishlore.com and the wonderful world of keeping fish. You shall soon learn that they are very fine companions and a great source of joy. This forum is a great place to come to when you want to talk about them or if there is a problem or if you want to share some neat thing that has happened. We always like to hear from you.

Rose
    :)

5. GwenzWell Known MemberMember

Like you, Deacon, when I just joined (Thursday), I thought I'd be asking a lot of questions, but I raed a lot of articles and the questions that people have posted here, and I found out a lot of thing by reading them, and didn't have to ask so many questions. :)

If I was you I wouldn't put fish in the tank afer 1 week. I'd wait around 4 weeks before adding some fish, or wait until your tank is fully cycled.

Gwenz :)

6. DeaconNew MemberMember

Thank You everyone for all the great advise. I decided I am going to do a fishless cycle. I certainly would like to have fish in the tank(only for selfish reason) But I wouldnt want to have fish and put them through the torture of the cycle. I really want this to go smoothly. I will let you guys know how it goes......