newbie with cloudy water

1. pumpkincat Initiate Member

i have a 50 gallon tank with 3 fancy goldfish..i have the marinelane 350 filter..i tested the water today and i got high alkalines and hard water...i have been changing the water 20% every 3 days...water is still cloudy what do u suggest??? thanks

2. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to FishLore :)

How long has your tank been set up, and what did you do when you set up?

Also, with that size tank and those messy goldfish, you'll want a better filter. You can easily just buy another and run two or more filters on the same tank.

3. fishman705 Member Member

Yes I agree run at least 2 biofilters because you always want to run twice as much gph to keep the tank clean and with goldfish your going to have to siphon 1 once aweek maybe more. Once the cloudiness is under control then I would suggest a few live plants to keep your tank pristine.

4. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

It could be some sort of a bacterial bloom. Sometimes when you set up a new tank after a couple of weeks the bacteria will bloom in the water causing cloudiness. Keep the water changes up and it will be fine. I would suggest upping your water changes to 50% water change every few days. You should test your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate every other day until your tank has cycled and make appropriate water changes. How old is your tank, I assumed it has not been cycled? :;saber

5. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Thats what I was getting at. A cycled tank shouldn't be cloudy :)

6. pumpkincat Initiate Member

the tank was set up about 2 days before i put the fish in .. this was about 2 months ago.i did have clear water once... im also confused about if i need to rise it out...do i rinse the filter under the faucet or rinse it out in a bucket with water from tank... im sure ill get it sooner or later lol thanks for the help..im sure ur tired of answering the same questions about cloudy water over and over again

7. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

It sucks asking a question and getting questions back instead of answers, I know lol But, it helps us understand your tank more, so that we can answer your question :)

You should rinse your filter media out in old tank water. How often do you do it? YOu really only need to when the flow slows.

8. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to Fishlore.

When you look straight down into the tank does the water look milky white? Or, is it more of a green tint? The color will help us to know what is causing the cloudy water.

You mentioned being concerned about water hardness and alkalinity. These tests are not important. Do not worry about them unless you are wanting a heavily planted tank (not exactly in the cards with goldfish) or are planning on breeding.

What are your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings? These are the parameters to monitor closely. Ammonia and nitrite should be 0. If there is any measurable level, then your tank is not cycled, and this puts your fish at risk. Also, the nitrate should be under 40PPM. This is easier said than done with goldfish as they are heavy waste producers. Nitrate is removed only through water changes. If your nitrates are too high, then larger water changes will be necessary.

Good luck stabilizing your tank.

9. pumpkincat Initiate Member

i changed half the water and the i doubled the filters and now i have clear water..its jusf amazing how much filtration gold fish need..thanks again:)

10. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Yeah, Goldfish are hugh waste producers.