30 Gallon Tank Newbie with a biocube 32

JillianR

Hello! I’ve been researching for months and months and months on saltwater. Sooo yesterday I bought my biocube 32. Got the water live sand and Carib life rock. Soooo excited and can’t wait to get my fish. LFS is recommending 2 clowns to start with. I do want to make this a reef tank just confused as to when that can start happening...lots of conflicting info on the inter web. Waiting on my test kit to come in. It seems no matter how much I research I’m still scratching my head. Lol. Love this forum though!

Jesterrace

Personally I disagree on adding clowns first. They can be very territorial once established, I would go with something like a small goby first as they are pretty hardy, relatively inexpensive and a lot more tolerant of newer tank mates than clownfish. I feel clownfish are best to be added last especially for smaller setups (unless of course clowns are all you are adding to the tank). As for when to make it a reef tank, there really isn't a set time frame per se (other than making sure the tank is cycled first of course) and it varies greatly by the corals you want to keep. Softies and easier to keep LPS Corals (ie Hammer and Frogspawn) can slowly be added after the cycle is complete and I recommend doing small and relatively cheap frags to start out with rather than adding a big expensive colony in there. SPS Corals on the other hand are pretty demanding and I would recommend waiting for a more established tank before adding them. Also unless you are upgrading your lighting I wouldn't venture beyond softies and easier to keep LPS as the stock biocube light isn't well suited to the more demanding corals.

JillianR

Good to know! Also have a question about rock. I got what they recommended to start but looking at other set ups (in different forums and fb groups seems like most have a lot more than I do and is built up taller...can I add more rock with little to no issues as I go along or is it best to get more rock before adding fish?

Jesterrace

Definitely add more rock first. There are several problems with adding more rock later: 1) It can restart the cycle if it has die off on it 2) Any rockscape addition or serious rearrangement is very stressful on the fish 3) You can potentially injure fish or inverts with rock addition and rescape (I have no doubt this was what contributed to the death of my first Diamond Watchman Goby). As for the rockwork itself as long as you are around the 1lb per gallon mark you should be fine.

saltwater60

I recommend about 1.5 lbs of live rock per gallon.
As for how long to wait to make it a reef tank I’d let mine run for a month then I add fish. One fish per week or two small ones. Get the hang of that then after all fish are added start adding some corals. That way you get some time under tour belt and get used to things before adding corals.
I agree with waiting on corals. A clown goby is a great first choice. I love those guys. Cute and personable.

JillianR

You guys are awesome! Thank you! I do have have a lb/gallon but I just feel it’s lacking some height. So I will add more rock first. Thank you for the advice! Patience isn’t going to be much of a problem now that I have the tank. I want to do it right so I would rather take it slow to make sure I’m setting myself and my future tank inhabitants up for success.

saltwater60

You guys are awesome! Thank you! I do have have a lb/gallon but I just feel it’s lacking some height. So I will add more rock first. Thank you for the advice! Patience isn’t going to be much of a problem now that I have the tank. I want to do it right so I would rather take it slow to make sure I’m setting myself and my future tank inhabitants up for success.
That’s a great way to think. Best of luck and anymore questions let us know.

Jesterrace

That’s a great way to think. Best of luck and anymore questions let us know.

Agreed. The truest statement of the marine side of the hobby is that nothing good happens fast in a saltwater tank.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Jesterrace
Replies
Views
Tallen78
Replies
Views
saltwater60
Replies
Views