Newbie With A 29g

Jenoli42

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Thank you! I’m just using stability and plan to do fishless cycle.
Excellent choice! the link i posted has worked for many on fishlore thanks to Thunder... we'll deal with any issues as you test and discover them. some people it's smooth sailing. others find issues. patience is key.

i used stability for both fish in and fishless. i never dosed that high with ammonia because you can't get it in my country unless your a commercial cleaner or something. so that simply meant i need to watch for cycle blips as my bacteria catch up whenever i add fish.

Shawn3210

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks for the help everyone. I tested my tap water last night and here are the readings.
Ph 7.6
Hr ph 8.2
Ammonia 0 ppm
Nitrite 0 ppm
Nitrate 0 ppm

I also had a question about the filter, what do I replace in their for maintenance and how often? Do I ever change out the carbon, foam, or biomax? And I heard of people modifying the aqua clear filter? But not sure for what? And heard about filter floss?

Ryan P

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I also had a question about the filter, what do I replace in their for maintenance and how often? Do I ever change out the carbon, foam, or biomax? And I heard of people modifying the aqua clear filter? But not sure for what? And heard about filter floss?
Welcome!

I don;t use any carbon on my filter, HOB or Cannister, unless I need to medicate the tank.
Here's how my HOB are setup.

Top - Bio Rings
Middle - Filter Floss
Bottom - Sponge

I also add Sponge on my intake to reduce Filter maintance, I just clean the sponge on the intake with old tank water when ever I do Water Change

Sage Exotics

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
My only recommendation is that you under stock. I stocked my 30 like 90% and regretted it, the maintenance and watching for aggression it’s just not worth it, IME.

Mom2some

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
You don’t change out filter material unless it is falling apart. And then you want to add the new filter material to the old for about a month. @TexasDomer may be able to help with ideas on adapting the AC filters - or try YouTube. You are looking for a combination of mechanical & biological filtration. Your starting water parameters certainly look good!

Shawn3210

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Tested this morning and added stability to the tank again.
Readings are:
Ph: 7.8
Nitirite: 0 ppm
Ammonia: 2 ppm
Nitrate: 5 ppm

Also ordered a finnex 24/7 planted led

Mick Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The AquaClear filters are the easiest to modify, and that's why it's a popular topic. Just replacing all of the media with enough sponge to fill the compartment and adding an intake sponge is usually all that's done (and the difference is noticeable). I also lightly pack the intake tube with filter floss on my show tanks for water polishing (lightly, you should still be able to breathe through it when it's packed) though this requires a screen and a small chunk of foam on the pump side, mine are held in place with a small ring of silicone on the inside of the tube about 1/2" up from the end). That part isn't really required, and I don't recommend you do it if you're not comfortable with it (I wrecked 4 or 5 pumps getting it right).

Shawn3210

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thank you for the information. I’ll just leave it alone for now haha.

Shawn3210

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So 24 hours ago I dosed ammonia to about 4 ppm maybe a little over. Today here is where I’m at. Haven’t used stability in two days. What should I do next? Water change? Or keep dosing ammonia

29F472AC-9D29-4EF1-AC13-FDFE064B75A2.jpeg 082EEFAA-5158-4949-A75C-1EC4736273A5.jpeg AE00C0CE-EAD8-477D-9282-0040C8B36A9F.jpeg

Here’s my nitrate
9CBF2B0F-7E6C-4722-882F-7DD28EADA9DD.jpeg

Mom2some

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
You need to keep adding ammonia to keep the bacteria which convert ammonia to nitrites from dying. Keep dosing ammonia until you are doing your final water change prior to adding your fish.
Your nitrites look super high. You can just let it go (no fish are at risk) and wait for the bacteria which covert Nitrite to nitrate to catch up. However, anecdotal reports here on Fishlore suggest nitrites higher than 4.0 can stall the cycle. So you might want to do a water change to decrease nitrites.

Shawn3210

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thank you! I just dosed a little more ammonia. I'll let the bacteria do it's job and recheck tomorrow and possibly do a water change. Would you recommend 50-75%?

ValerieAdams

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
BucePlant.com has beginner packs for plants that are pretty reasonably priced. They have care sheets online & they also have a section of beginner plants to shop. Mine came super nice, vacuum packed and didn't have any snails.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I wouldn't bother with a water change unless nitrites get above 4 ppm (yours look like 2 ppm to me, but I may be off on reading the colors). If that happens, 50-75% would be fine!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom