Newbie with 2 goldfish

1. Mlim556 Initiate Member

Hi guy's I am a new member here, and have had my tank for about 2 1/2 weeks now. It's been a stressful time for me since becoming a goldfish owner. Lately my goldfish has not been acting like it's usual self. It use to swim side to side in its 30 gallon tank constantly, but the past 2 days it seems non active, and stays on one corner of the tank. It has not been eating well, lately it's been spitting out it's flakes after trying to eat it. I have noticed that it's mouth is always moving constantly. Not sure if that's normal, or not. I have tested my water and came up with these readings:

Ph 7.6
    Ammonia 0.25ppm
    Nitrite 0ppm
    Nitrate 5.0ppm

Do these readings look normal? One thing I should mention is that the other day it had ick, and i caught it early with tetra tab treatments, and 24 hrs later the spots disappeared. Hope to get some insight, thanks.

2. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Apart from the 0.25ppm ammonia, they look fine. What kind of goldfish do you have?

The only thing that I can think of right now is low oxygen in the water due to those fizz tabs. Fizzing is usually caused by a reaction that produces CO2. Maybe try an airstone?:;dk

3. CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

Hi, welcome to fishlore :;hi1

My guess is its the ich. Your readings look alright at the moment. How often are you changing the water and how much?

What is your water conditioner?

Did you use a bacterial additive when you started the tank?

Ich needs to be treated for two weeks because part of their life cycle is they fall to the substrate, only to come up and latch on to the fish. I'm not familiar with the tetra tab treatments, how long does it say to treat?

What kind of test kit are you using?

Would you also test your tap for ph, ammonia, nitrites and nitrates?

4. maggie thecat Well Known Member Member

Hi! This is a new tank and by the numbers, it isn't yet cycled. There isn't enough beneficial bacteria in the filter yet to process the waste your goldfish is producing, which is why you are reading ammonia.

You need to do a large water change, at least 50 -75% to reduce stress on your fish.

Then you need to read up on the Nitrogen Cycle.

Then you need to go to you lfs for some Tetra Safestart, which is an additive that will help up the number of beneficial bacteria in your tank.

Finally, you need to headover to the Goldfish subforum, where they will give you guidelines for overfiltering your tank and determine the type of goldfish you have and how soon you may need to upgrade your tank size.

All the words in blue are links to more information. Happy reading, welcome to the forum, and don't feel bad about any of this, because everyone here was a newbie at some point.

5. CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

At a ph of 7.6 the ammonia of .25 will be in an ammonium form so shouldn't be the issue right now (unless its been spiking).

If they have or get prime they can dose it daily for the full volume of the tank and do those large water changes when ammonia + nitrites get close to 1.0. This will allow the tank to cycle and keep the fish safe. I agree adding in some TSS+ would be a great thing to do :)

6. Mlim556 Initiate Member

I have a sarasa, and a comet goldfish. Both are young. I've done maybe 2 80%, and a handful of 30%-40% water changes since getting the tank. I've been using fluval water conditioner, and fluval concentrated biological booster. Do you guy's think I should restart from scratch with the prime, and safe start? As for the ick I used the tetra tabs that turn your water blue. It's specifically for ick. If I restart the tank I think I'll try the heat, and aquarium salt method this time around..

7. Mlim556 Initiate Member

Btw I'm using the api master kit.

8. bizaliz3 Fishlore VIP Member

Are you aware those kind of goldfish are better kept in ponds and can reach lengths over a foot long? Many people don't know that, so I just wanted to throw it out there. You may experience more health issues with your goldfish if they spend their whole lives in a 30 gallon unfortunately....You will definitely want to do water changes 1-2 times a week to keep up with their bioload in a tank that size once it is cycled. :)

9. Mlim556 Initiate Member

I am aware, and plan on upping the tank size as they grow.

10. bizaliz3 Fishlore VIP Member

Ok, I only mentioned it because I personally had no idea that was the case when I came home from the carnival with my daughter and the two goldfish she won.

Just know that they will never get close to reaching that foot-long size in an aquarium, so the need to "upgrade as they grow" doesn't really apply because they will only grow so large in an aquarium vs a pond. They will never reach their full potential in an average fish tank. With that being said, you could then falsely believe you don't need to upgrade "as they grow" because they will not grow as big as they should. In your 30 gallon they will most likely not get bigger than 5-6 inches unless, or until, you get them something larger.

Basically, the long and the short of it is, you have to accept the fact that you will shorten their lifespan significantly in an aquarium. But even if you cut their life IN HALF we are still talking about them living for 15 years (since they can live 30 in a pond) :) So it may not seem like the fish's life was shortened since they can live that way for many many years.

Like I said, if you choose to keep them you will have to do water changes 1-2 times per week to keep them healthy :)

11. Mlim556 Initiate Member

Ok so I got a chance to do an 80% water change, added some prime, and the last bit of biological booster I had. What a huge difference that made! Both fishes are very active, and back to normal for now. Can't believe how much of a change that made to their demeanor. Since I only treated my fish for ick with the tabs for 24 hrs, should I raise the heat for 2 weeks, or wait to see if there are any signs present for the next few days?

12. Mom2some Well Known Member Member

Welcome to fishlore! Glad they seem to be feeling better. I would second bed the suggestion above that you test your tap water for ammonia, nitrites & nitrates. It is good to have for reference (says the girl who wishes she had done so months ago). . As you saw first hand today clean water is often the best medicine for fish. What did you rock treatment day about duration? I have no clue about the heat treatment with cool water fish. Keep asking questions! Sounds like you are off to a pretty good start - care to share a picture?

13. CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

You can use the heat treatment on goldfish also. There is also Seachem Paraguard and it won't turn your water weird colors and is ok to treat for two weeks with. You could always half dose it or just have it on hand.

14. Mlim556 Initiate Member

I started the heat treatment the other day, and will continue to monitor them for two weeks. So far so good.