Newbie whant to get goldfish please help??

eenrique25
HI I'm new to this, ive got a 38 gallon (41 x 20 x 11) freshwater tank which has been running for 2 days now fr the cycle with a (tap water conditioner, stress enzyme, and stress coat+) I'm getting the master kit for testing my water before getting any fish, I don't have any live plants and don't think on buying them, but I'm planning on getting some goldfish, angelfish, and cat fish with a small pleco, how will that go in terms of getting along and how many of each should I buy?

Ive got two filters (1 for 20-30 gallons it came with the kit and one of 30 -60 gallons, both running) and an air pump, also waters pretty clean, now what do you think of the products I used for nitro cycle and also another question I live where there's pretty hot climate so my tank doesn't go below 76 - 78 and if I get goldfish is there something to make the water colder or is this temp.ok, thank you.

Shawnie
welcome to fishlore !

goldfish like cooler temps and aren't tropical where as the others are...one goldfish needs 20 gallons alone so best not to add them...or don't go tropical and just get a couple of goldfish

some catfish & pleco's get huge also, so depending on what kind you want would matter ..angels are beautiful fish but seem to do better in an established tank...

doing a fishless cycle is great!!!!! so just get your test kit, feed the tank with the ammonia or a piece of raw shrimp, and watch for the cycle to be done..could take a few weeks but be patient

Lucy
Welcome to Fish Lore

76-78 is perfect for some tropical fish, but like Shawnie said, you'll have to choose between goldies or tropicals.

If you go with tropical and choose one of the smaller plecos you could have more fish.

If you use ammonia for your cycle, make sure it is pure ammonia, no additives. You can also use fish flakes.

Good luck!

MinxMermaid
Being a goldfish lover, I recommend you go for the gold fish only. they come in many different types and colors and you can make a really cute tank with goldfish only.

I think they have way more personality than the tropical tank and are more expressive.

we have a 40 gal goldie only tank, and a 110 tropical only community tank, and several more....

the goldie tank is my favorite!

gremlin
If it were me, I would do one tank for the goldfish and one tank for the tropical and not combine them.

peacemaker92
If you want goldfish, don't get angelfish. I had a pair of goldfish and angelfish before, the angelfish are quite aggressive to the goldfish or vice versa... So try getting goldfish? Some catfish would go fine with them. Just make sure the catfish can't grow too big.

Shawnie
If you want goldfish, don't get angelfish. I had a pair of goldfish and angelfish before, the angelfish are quite aggressive to the goldfish or vice versa... So try getting goldfish? Some catfish would go fine with them. Just make sure the catfish can't grow too big.

Many people think goldfish and tropical fish are the same...That's not the case...tropical fish, as in MOST catfish, like warm temps..where as goldfish, like cooler temps..they should have two different tanks to live in

sirdarksol
Goldfish can live in tropical tanks, but they won't be happy. The color almost always gets leached out of their scales (I have a pink goldfish that was once, well... gold. He lost his color after two months in the tropical tank, according to his owner. He's been living in a temperate tank for a year now, and still hasn't regained his color).
Goldfish like having water temp that changes with the seasons, which is why they aren't terribly happy in a tropical tank, which should always be a stable temp.

If you go with the angels, catfish, and pleco, I suggest very strongly that you get a bristlenose or other pleco that stays small. Pet stores will tell you "The fish won't outgrow the tank." They're either lying or ignorant.
Also, presuming you're talking about corydoras catfish (about the only cats that stay small enough for a tank that size), they should be the last things you add, and should go in at least a month after the first fish. They need really stable water quality in order to survive.

joy613
If you want to go with tropical but like the color of goldfish go with either swordtail or platy. I have some beautiful pineapple swords in with my angel. If you like the body shape of the goldfish I can't really think of a tropical fish like that. I really like sirdarksol's suggestion of angels, cat and pleco. I am just waiting for the algae to show up before I get my bristlenose or farlowella catfish.

sirdarksol
Excellent suggestion, joy. There are also "creamsicle" mollies that are the orange color of goldfish.

peacemaker92
Hmm... Interesting! I learnt something new.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
NevermindIgnoreMe
Replies
Views
The_fishy
Replies
Views
TexasDomer
2 3 4