newbie wanting to start up a 10 gallon

1. Banshee Initiate Member

I bought a ten gallon tank kit with the filter, heater, light and such, I'm going to set it up to start cycling tomorrow, afterwards, I really wanted to put some glofish in it, I've heard some people say they need at least 20gal and others say they'd be fine in a 10, I want to get at least 5 so they can school will that be ok or should I go with something else?

2. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Hi Banshee. You mention cycling, but your aquarium info says you don't know about the nitrogen cycle. If you don't know about it, you should click on the link. Also, are you familiar with fishless cycling? When you read about the nitrogen cycle, it also tells you 4 different ways to cycle without fish in your tank.

I have zebra danios in my tank currently, and they do not school at all, at least not mine. So if you are looking for schooling behavior, you may want to try something else. As far as the size of the tank, you could try it, but danios swim a lot and really fast, so I'd go with a bit bigger tank for them personally. I love the glofish and considered getting them, but they are a bit out of my price range. :(
    Have you considered maybe some neon tetras? They will school.

3. Banshee Initiate Member

I've read about the nitrogen cycle, and plan on trying it fishless, I just didn't understand it completly, but I'm assuming it'll make more sence to me when I can watch it happen, I'm not particularly looking for schooling, I just really liked the Glofish and wanted to make sure they'd be happy, I've looked into tetras a little, I think they're neat to. Do all tetras school or just neons?

4. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

I'm not sure. I know neons and cardinals school. What do you think about guppies? You could do 3 male guppies (each of mine is a different color, very vibrant) and a small school of corydora catfish for the bottom of your tank. Cherry barbs are nice too, although I don't have any and don't know much about them.

edit:
    The nitrogen cycle is basically this:
    Your tank has ammonia from the waste the fish produce. The beneficial bacteria living on the surface of your gravel and filter media eats the ammonia, changing it to nitrite. Another beneficial bacteria converts that into nitrates.

Any amount of ammonia or nitrites can be lethal to fish. A small amount of nitrates are fine (5-20). Once your tank is cycled, it means you have enough benefical bacteria growing to eat all the ammonia and nitrites, making your tank a healthy place to live. Your readings should be 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and 5-20 nitrates.

A good strong bacterial colony keeps the nitrites and ammonia at 0, and regular water changes and gravel vacs keep the nitrate levels down.

I hope this explanation helps. :)

5. Banshee Initiate Member

That would be cool I had a few guppies when I was little, they didn't last very long though :( I was thinking about Dwarf Gouramis as well, but I think my tank might be too small for those too. Or maybe a cherry shrip for the bottom, I think they're cute in an oddball way

6. AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

7. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Cool link, Christine...

8. Banshee Initiate Member

Thanks, that helps alot

9. Robin4 Member Member

Welcome to fishlore Banshee! As you've found, there are great people here with great information to share.... We also LOVE looking at pictures so when your tank is set up, please share some photos! :)

Robin

10. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to Fishlore, Banshee!

11. rae64 Well Known Member Member

there is a type of dwarf gourami called a honey gourami. they stay under 2 inches, and are very easy going and peacful. they are easy to care for, and are not nearly as inbred and diseased as the more common dwarfs. they may take a little while to settle in though, as they are very shy. you could keep one of these in your tank, and maybe have a small school of 3-4 corydoras catfish. they are very playful, and SO much fun to watch. you may have to see if your lfs can special order the honeys for you, because many people just stock the more common dwarf gouramis. i am actually planning to get one or two of these little honeys for my new 29 gallon. when you get one, it may seem paste colored, almost white, but will color up beautifully once it gets home and starts eating a nice balanced diet. you may even be able to have 2 females if you MAKE SURE they are girls! they are one of the few gouramis (i think what i have read about them is right.... may want to wait for some backup on this) that can be kept in single sex groups.

also, congrats on the fishless cycle!!! it is very wise to cycle like this. are you using pure ammonia, shrimp, or one of the other methods? i personally like the pure ammonia method because it is nice and clean, and doesn't leave trash all on the bottom of your tank.

finally, what kind of aquascaping are you planning? im sure you can get some great advice on that on this forum too :)

OH I ALMOST FORGOT!!! WELCOME TO FISHLORE!!!!!! yay

12. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

:sign0016: Banshee! Congrats on your new tank. I think that's a great beginning size. :;bananahi

I was just going to suggest these little dudes. :)

Just to clarify: You can definitely keep two honey gouramis (colisa chuna) in a 10g. They do not need to be all-girls in order to have more than one. Two males is absolutely fine. They really enjoy each other's company (very much unlike other gouramis); two male honey gouramis will not fight. Two females is fine, but very very unlikely to find any place that stocks females (because they're not as vibrant as males). Male/female works as well, but if they pair up, you don't want to add a 3rd.

Another option is sparkling gouramis. These look more closely related to bettas than to gouramis. Very similar care and temperament as the honeys. :)

Rather than corydoras, I'd suggest 3-4 otocinclus. They stay smaller. If you want the catfish look, you could ask your lfs to order 4-6 pygmy/dwarf corydoras. :)

My ideal 10g:

2 male honey gouramis (with lots of plastic or real plants for them to feel comfy in)
    2 male fancy gups
    1 mystery snail and some red cherry or ghost shrimp
    4 pgymy corydoras
    :animal0028:

I agree that glofish (danios) are so flighty, that they do better in at least 15-20. Jmo on that, though.

13. rae64 Well Known Member Member

thanks for the correction iloveengl! just goes to show that i really am not that knowledgeable about gouramis. i like that suggestion for a 10 gallon a lot :) very exciting and pretty.

14. scatty Member Member

Welcome Banshee. I have a 10 g with cory cats and neons, and it's a beautiful harmonious tank and also fun to watch. I love my Cory's, always have. I have 6 neon tetras and they school beautifully. They're very comfortable, so they will go their own way occasionally, but like to hang in their school. I have come to love these guys. I thought they may be a little flighty or shy, but they're not at all. They settled in so quickly, will eat out of my fingers, and are really pretty too. I can highly recommend them. Whatever you decide, we love pics here, please share! :)

15. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

HEllo Banshee and Welcome to Fish Lore. Congrats on the new tank. You seem to be covered with great information above. I would just like to add that just because certain fish may be labeled as "schoolers" doesn't mean they will actually school in your tank. Schooling is a defense posture and may only happen when the fish feel threatened. Otherwise they may swimm happily on their own.
    Best of luck for a speedy cycle! Please keep us posted and ask questions when you need to.
    Ken

16. GoGreen Well Known Member Member

Welcome Banshee! I am also new to this site but I must tell you that everyone here has great advice and are very supportive! In regards to the mention of honey gouramis, I have a pair in my tank and they are wonderful little fish, they interact a lot with each other and despite their reputation for being shy, mine are extremely curious about everything in the tank, they swim all over, even try to imitate the cories when they feed on the bottom. The way they use their little feeler fins to check things out is soooo cute, too. You should consider some!:;hi2