Newbie To The Fish World...

1. Pb43

Pb43 New Member Member

Hi from new Hampshire. Just bought my first tank a few weeks ago. 29 gallon. I put myself through a 'learning all about cycling' course and for the past 4 days am the proud owner of 2 neon Tetras, 6 beautiful male guppies (they may be my favorites, they are so pretty to watch), 2 (I believe are) grey tetras, and a (I believe is) zebra Danio tetra. I had 2 zebras given to me but the second one didn't make it past day 2. I am excited about learning all I can learn in order to keep my aquarium of fish healthy! Just reading the beginners page was so informative! Thank you all for helping us newbies get there!

P.s.I am going soon to get a bristle nose pleco, another neon and 2 more zebras, in order for them to have atleast a school of 3. But I also know I need to be careful not to over stock...any thoughts on this would be welcomed...also I know fish like hide holes and decor in the tank, I believe my tank is nicely set up, however, do fish like less or more? Is to much a bad thing? I didn't crowd my tank but I want to be sure my fish are happy!

Again THANK YOU!

2. andychrissytank

andychrissytank Valued Member Member

6 male guppies
    6 neon tetras
    6 zebra danios
    i don't know about these gray tetras but I'm assuming they school too since mostly all tetras do
    1 pleco shouldn't be too bad with the right filtration
    Your filter should flow about 300 gal/hr or even higher with your stocking but make sure there are lots of hiding places and fake/real plants
    cories could work with the right substrate

3. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to fishlore!
    I'd rehome the gray tetras, 3 mid-dwelling schools is too many in a 29g.

4. OP
    OP
    Pb43

Pb43 New Member Member

Thank you both for your reply..thespecially were given to me from a friend...the greys are like 4 yrs old I am told and have been just the 2 of them for quite a while and seem to be doing great. I guppies are awesome and thriving...getting 3 schooling types was not planned..just sort of happened...;) I read some where that they can be ok with 3 in a school but 6 is preferred. I could find a home for the zebra and go neons and gupies with my 2 greys (I am partial to them I think lol) with a pleco? I will do some thinking on this and thank you very much for your thoughts

5. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

They are much happier with at least 6 in a school, 2-3 is not enough. I'd just give one of the types of schooling fish back to a store.

6. OP
    OP
    Pb43

Pb43 New Member Member

Thank you anders247 for your suggestions..I actually have a friend that can take the zebra and give him a happy home...I would have a school of neon tetras and guppies...my 2 greys and 1 pleco. I am going to attempt to upload a pic , maybe someone could tell me if it is indeed a grey tetras? ;) also my greys like to hang out towards bottom and behind things, coming out on occasion. I try to feed them a pinch of the tropical flakes (I do one on one side and one on the other so to make sure the ones underneath get food) bearing in mind not to over feed them...how can I be sure the greys ate eating? I am so afraid of over or under feedings. I know about the idea of 'what they can eat in less than 5 minutes' I flake per fish sort of thing.. but my guppies ravish!

Attached Files: