Newbie to shrimp... Well soon to be

1. B

BettaBoysGirl New Member Member

I've been contemplating trying out shrimp... still debating on a small species of shrimp. Suggestions would be great! Im getting ready to set up a 8 gallon tank in which they will live. I have plans to make it planted with Christmas moss, or peacock moss (Or any that might be suggested as a carpet moss), some marimo balls, maybe a few other live plants with a couple of fake mixed in. Is there a certain amount of shrimps that must live together? I want a small species for the tank, since its a nano.

I'm also contemplating putting a gourami, or some sort of tretra in the tank as well. Do they do well with these? Oh.. and since it will be planted, how do they do with fertilizers?

Any and all advice would be wonderful!

2. ZeeZ

ZeeZ Well Known Member Member

Red Cherry Shrimp would be good for your purposes. Shrimp don't have to be with a certain amount or anything like that. As for tetras, well, most of them need a 10 gallon or larger, as do gouramis. If you're really dead set on a gourami, then the smallest gourami species I know of that may work with your setup provided you have good filtration is the Sparkling Gourami.

Otherwise, there are smaller fish that would work just fine in a 8 gallon. Celestial Pearl Danios, Dwarf Emerald Rasboras, Espei Rasboras, et cetera would work well in a small group, about 5 or so.

Advertisement

3. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

:animal0068:I have moved your thread from Freshwater Invertebrates to Freshwater Invertebrates/Shrimps and Crabs section of the forum.

Thanks!

Ken

4. LyndaB

LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

I would recommend ember tetras with the red cherry shrimp, I think that would be really pretty.

5. Mmbrown

Mmbrown Well Known Member Member

I've got some amano shrimp (I think... I thought amano were supposed to be clear but these guys are dark blue) and ghost shrimp, both of those will stay small and are very fun to watch. You'll really enjoy your shrimp tank, and in fact I'm kind of jealous of you, I've got mine in a soon-to-be community and so I don't have that many and they won't be able to breed.

If you can find red cherry shrimp as previously suggested, they are cool. I've never seen them though- our pet stores normally just have ghost, it was a real surprise to see the "Japanese Algae Eater" shrimp.

6. t

tress29 Valued Member Member

I've got 2 sparkling gouramis in a 2.5 gallon tank on my desk at work.

7. kinezumi89

kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

Not I get off-topic, but just so the OP doesn't get any ideas...unfortunately 2.5 gallons is not enough space for two sparkling gouramis, or even one. I got a 2.5 gallon on sale and asked what fish I could keep in it, and the answer was nothing, not even a solitary betta. I currently have 20 RCS and a couple snails, and I think it's a great tank.

8. MJDuti

MJDuti Well Known Member Member

Are you only looking for fish to go with your shrimp? You are kind of limited with 8 gallons but could do a small school or harlequin rasboras (i have some and they are amazing), neons, or even cories! what are your water parameters? You could do fancy guppies. You could mix a couple types of shrimp too. Just don't mix same species.

let us know when you decide

Advertisement