Newbie to fish keeping

mobo

Hi, I'm Mo and got my first fish about 4 months ago. I now have two nano planted aquariums, the smallest which is 57L and 16L respectively. My 16l has just been cycled and has no livestock yet, but in my 57L I have 12 neon tetra, 3 amano shrimp and 3 pygmy corydoras (there were 6 before).
My water parameters are good (use API master test kit) and in these four months I lost only one tetra. It suddenly started swimming erratically, had a curved spine and couldn't right itself so I had to very sadly put it down.
Two weeks ago I got the corydoras and the amano shrimp, because I needed some help with keeping the tank clean. At first all was well until 3 days ago when I had 5 cories, yesterday I had 4 and today I have 3. They're not hiding I checked throughly. I'm pretty upset because I questioned the store that all these species could live well together. I found the remnants of a small fish on the bottom of the tank. The cories were not unwell. They were swimming happily and doing their busy work. It seems their being attacked at night. Could either the tetras or the amano do this?
I keep my tank temperature at 25C. I thought this was fine for all of these groups.

Attachments

Valleriani

What is your tank parameters currently? I know you say 'good' but what are the exact numbers. I've heard of stores saying 'a little ammonia won't hurt the fish' and people can think this, but even a tiny amount is deadly to them. Do you do weekly water changes? Cories and Neons are both fine community fish and they should be fine together.

If fish are dying and you aren't removing the fish chances are you might be having an ammonia spike. The tank is small enough where a few dead fish would probably cause problems. Corys aren't exactly tiny either to lose and it sounds to me like maybe one dying could of started a chain reaction with your tank parameters.

I'm not an expect on this but I would 'try' to find their bodies, theres no way 3 cories got cleaned up by amanos fast enough, and then I would probably do a 50% water change. If your parameters show ammonia, you need to do daily water changes to get it under control, chances are though if there 'is' ammonia the fish that are in the tank will either die now or die in a few months because of the ammonia. I'm not trying to scare you, it happens though, small tanks often can end up spiking like that though. I'd probably dose with something like tetra safestart to temporarily 'stop' the ammonia from hurting the fish too if that was the case.

25c is fine for these fish.

The other alternative is that they are bred terribly and may be dying because of a 'bad batch' sort of speak. I've had a group of fish die because they were transported really badly swimming in their own ammonia for too long, and you can't really do anything to stop this but buy from respected fish store owners.

mobo

Valleriani said:
What is your tank parameters currently? I know you say 'good' but what are the exact numbers. I've heard of stores saying 'a little ammonia won't hurt the fish' and people can think this, but even a tiny amount is deadly to them. Do you do weekly water changes? Cories and Neons are both fine community fish and they should be fine together.

If fish are dying and you aren't removing the fish chances are you might be having an ammonia spike. The tank is small enough where a few dead fish would probably cause problems. Corys aren't exactly tiny either to lose and it sounds to me like maybe one dying could of started a chain reaction with your tank parameters.

I'm not an expect on this but I would 'try' to find their bodies, theres no way 3 cories got cleaned up by amanos fast enough, and then I would probably do a 50% water change. If your parameters show ammonia, you need to do daily water changes to get it under control, chances are though if there 'is' ammonia the fish that are in the tank will either die now or die in a few months because of the ammonia. I'm not trying to scare you, it happens though, small tanks often can end up spiking like that though. I'd probably dose with something like tetra safestart to temporarily 'stop' the ammonia from hurting the fish too if that was the case.

25c is fine for these fish.

The other alternative is that they are bred terribly and may be dying because of a 'bad batch' sort of speak. I've had a group of fish die because they were transported really badly swimming in their own ammonia for too long, and you can't really do anything to stop this but buy from respected fish store owners.
Hi Valleriani,
I test my water every week. Last test done Saturday. Yellow ammonia (0 as per master test kit), sky blue for nitrite (0), orange for nitrate (between 10-20 ppm). The store I bought from is reputable, very well known. Distance from store to home is 4 miles. Fish were brought home immediately, acclimatised to new tank slowly, 30 minutes before let in. I feed the fish twice a day early in the morning and late afternoon.
Water was changed yesterday and I change my water weekly. I don't leave it too long as in the end it's only going to be a big job if left too long.

EmbersToAshes

I would suggest doing a test now, just to be sure all is well since your fish are dying. The shrimp, neons, and Cory cats are all compatible and peaceful and I don't think the tank mates are to blame. I would check the bodies for signs of disease. If it's a good store I would see if the rest of their Cory's are still alive, and see if they have a return policy for dead fish.

Presidenchill

Probably off topic, do you have gravel under your sand. I was thinking about doing some kind of a mix or a sandy "plot" for my catfish to burrow or my Oscars to play n dig in.

mobo

EmbersToAshes said:
I would suggest doing a test now, just to be sure all is well since your fish are dying. The shrimp, neons, and Cory cats are all compatible and peaceful and I don't think the tank mates are to blame. I would check the bodies for signs of disease. If it's a good store I would see if the rest of their Cory's are still alive, and see if they have a return policy for dead fish.
Thanks EmbersToAshes, I did just that after reading Valleriani's reply and the water parameter levels have not changed.
I'm really scratching my head and want my fish to be happy and they're obviously not.
I didn't see any issues with the fish when brought home. They were really happy swimming around. What bugs me is that is they're disappearing during the night and I'm really gutted. I just don't know what is wrong with the tank.

mobo

Presidenchill said:
Probably off topic, do you have gravel under your sand. I was thinking about doing some kind of a mix or a sandy "plot" for my catfish to burrow or my Oscars to play n dig in.
Presidenchill, I have tropica aquasoil, then a corse gravel, then a thin layer of sand. I thought that for planting it would be best to have a layer of soil before the gravel.

mobo

mobo said:
Thanks EmbersToAshes, I did just that after reading Valleriani's reply and the water parameter levels have not changed.
I'm really scratching my head and want my fish to be happy and they're obviously not.
I didn't see any issues with the fish when brought home. They were really happy swimming around. What bugs me is that is they're disappearing during the night and I'm really gutted. I just don't know what is wrong with the tank.
I will ask the store, but it's been two weeks and don't want to suggest it's their fault if it's my tank that has a problem (even if I don't know what it is).
I think I'll do a water change again to be on safe side.

EmbersToAshes

A water change would definitely help if it is a buildup issue, such as high TDS

mobo

Thank you.

Top Bottom