Newbie to fish keeping.

NylonFish

Ok I just started fish keeping yesterday. I went to petco yesterday and got a 10 gallon tank.
The guy recommended 4 goldfish. So I filled the tank with water and I added water dechlorinator
I added 4 goldfish. I think they are a fancy tail gold fish.they are really fat and cute
Ps. I added a filter too, but I don't think that's needed, but I'll keep it running instead. The fish store owner gave me a bottle of bacteria (called Tertra safe start) and I poured it all in the tank.

Please give me some feedback on begineers fish keeping.

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1437511009.202680.jpg
Here's my tank if you're wondering.

thefishdude277

Welcome to Fishlore
Sorry to say, but there are many problems with this tank
10 gallons isn't merely enough for goldies. 4 would need 55 gallons or more

Dom90

If you want a 10 gallon, you'll need to rehome all your goldfish.

AquaticBrandon

Welcome to Fishlore!
I agree with the posts above. Hope you enjoy the forum

Coradee

NylonFish

Thank you for all the help,I will rehome the fish sometime tomorrow.Where is the best place to rehome my goldfish?

NylonFish

Ps. What kind of fish are best for a 10 gallon tank??

AquaticBrandon

I believe you can still take the fish back to petco, since you got them yesterday. Just tell them that you got wrong information and the fish aren't suitable for the tank.

Coradee

NylonFish said:
Ps. What kind of fish are best for a 10 gallon tank??
You could have a single Betta or a group of small fish such as ember tetras or male guppies.
Have a look at the small fish at the Lfs & write down the names of the ones you like then post them on here & we can advise which may be suitable

BornThisWayBettas

Welcome to Fish Lore!!! Nice to meet you!

A betta would simply LOVE a 10 gallon tank! And, if he's not too mean, you might be able to do some shrimp and snails in there with him! Plus, bettas are awesome beginner fish!

NylonFish

I was googling fish and I came up to Koi
Can I have those? They seem small

NylonFish

BornThisWayBettas said:
Welcome to Fish Lore!!! Nice to meet you!

A betta would simply LOVE a 10 gallon tank! And, if he's not too mean, you might be able to do some shrimp and snails in there with him! Plus, bettas are awesome beginner fish!
I heard that if you put two bettas together,they'll start fighting and being aggressive.

Coradee

Koi are pond fish, they can get two feet or more

BDpups

NylonFish said:
I was googling fish and I came up to Koi
Can I have those? They seem small
Even the smallest koi are too big for a 10 gallon. I would suggest some male guppies.

NylonFish

Coradee said:
Koi are pond fish, they can get two feet or more
That's very long and big.Now I realized they can't fit.

BornThisWayBettas

NylonFish said:
I heard that if you put two bettas together,they'll start fighting and being aggressive.
That's why I said a betta, not bettas. One betta might not seem like much, but believe me, they have huge personalities! They act like puppies, very playful, and some can even be taught to do tricks! Mine used to bite my finger lol!

NylonFish

BornThisWayBettas said:
That's why I said a betta, not bettas. One betta might not seem like much, but believe me, they have huge personalities! They act like puppies, very playful, and some can even be taught to do tricks! Mine used to bite my finger lol!
Is your betta named Charlie?

BornThisWayBettas

NylonFish said:
Is your betta named Charlie?
Um, no lol! Mine was named Neptune haha!

BDpups

A single betta would work.

TexasDomer

You also should read up on the nitrogen cycle (click the words - they're a link!)

AquaticBrandon

Other fish for a 10 gallon besides a betta can be; CPD's, Dwarf Rasboras, Ember tetras. If you don't want fish you can have a good shrimp tank

BornThisWayBettas

BDpups

Male guppies. Ember tetra. Endlers. Dwarf puffers. Celestial pearl danio. Dario dario.

Dom90

BDpups said:
Male guppies. Ember tetra. Endlers. Dwarf puffers. Celestial pearl danio. Dario dario.
Personally, I'd stay away from Dario dario unless you could afford to feed live or frozen food everytime...

vivelafish

I used my 10G to house a shrimp colony! So shrimp are always an option.

Possibly African Dwarf Frogs.

NylonFish

I prefer to learn more about fish tank and not shrimp tanks.

BornThisWayBettas

Well, I listed a few options on my above post (#25), if you're interested.

NylonFish

BornThisWayBettas said:
Lol me neither haha! I think these would all work, but someone correct me if I'm wrong:

Platies
Guppies
ChilI Rasboras
Ember Tetras
Dwarf Puffers (wouldn't recommend them to a newbie based on what I've read)
Endler's Livebearers
Glowlight Danios
Celestial Pearl Danios
Sparkling Gouramis
Scarlet Badis

There's more, of course, but those are just a few.
I think I might get some platies. How many of them can I fit it my 10 gallon tank?

BornThisWayBettas

NylonFish said:
I think I might get some platies. How many of them can I fit it my 10 gallon tank?
I think you could fit about three, although someone else might say differently. Be sure to get all males unless you want tons of fry, as platies are livebearers.

NylonFish

Thanks for the advice!

NylonFish

My friend said snails are very helpful in terms of cleaning my tank. Should I possibly get a few?

BornThisWayBettas

No problem! Oh, has everyone already gone over the whole nitrogen cycle and water testing thing with you yet?

NylonFish

No,I don't know about the water testing and nitrogen cycle. Is it needed?

BDpups

Dom90 said:
Personally, I'd stay away from Dario dario unless you could afford to feed live or frozen food everytime...
I have had ones that eat flake and frozen food likes it's their job. I've had quite a few over the years. I've never understood the issue with feeding them myself.

AquaticBrandon

Yes, that's the most important thing in this hobby. I recommend picking up an API master test kit

NylonFish

I was looking online at petsmart. It said black racer netrie snails are $2.19?? Is that worth it for snails? Is that snail good?

NylonFish

AquaticBrandon said:
Yes, that's the most important thing in this hobby. I recommend picking up an API master test kit
Can you get that at Petsmart,my LFS?

BornThisWayBettas

NylonFish said:
No,I don't know about the water testing and nitrogen cycle. Is it needed?
Oh yes, it is very much so needed! Click on the highlighted blue words that say nitrogen cycle and it'll take you to an article about the nitrogen cycle. Read up on it! If this post doesn't show the link then post #23 does. Do all the reading you can on the nitrogen cycle and feel free to ask whatever questions you may have about it on here!

As for testing, it'll help you a lot, and keeps you informed on how well your water is. Poor water quality can lead to sickness and death, meaning keeping an eye and maintaining the water parameters is extremely important. I highly recommend the API Freshwater Master Test Kit, and be careful to avoid test strips, as these are inaccurate.

Guppyfry

AquaticBrandon said:
Whoa!! That list is completely overwhelming for a newbie just new to fish keeping who isn't even familiar with the common names, let alone the scientific ones!

When you go back to the pet store, ask which fish stay small. Some of the small fish that catch your eyes may be juviniles of fish that end up huge (like the Koi), and as suggested, write down the names and post them here - people will be able to help you choose apropriate types.

NylonFish

Can't a water filter just clean my water?

AquaticBrandon

Yes you can get the test kit at petsmart or your LFS. A filter will clean your water and keep your Beneficial Bacteria. This bacteria is really important because that's what is keeping your fish alive

BornThisWayBettas

True, the filter will help keep your water clean, but it doesn't do everything for you haha! You'll need to do weekly water changes to remove nitrates from the aquarium, as well as to vacuum some of the gravel. I change at least 25% every week. Nitrate buildups, while not nearly as deadly as ammonia and nitrites, are harmful in large amounts, which is why you'll need to take them out with water changes.

NylonFish

How often should I clean my water?

AquaticBrandon

That depends on the live stock . I usually do 50% water changes on my tanks every 1-2 weeks.

NylonFish

AquaticBrandon said:
That depends on the live stock . I usually do 50% water changes on my tanks every 1-2 weeks.
What size tank do you use??

AquaticBrandon

Well on my 60 gallon I do 50% water changes every week or sometimes 2 weeks. Same with my 10 gallon shrimp tank. My reef I do 25%-30% water changes every 2 weeks.

NylonFish

AquaticBrandon said:
Well on my 60 gallon I do 50% water changes every week or sometimes 2 weeks. Same with my 10 gallon shrimp tank. My reef I do 25%-30% water changes every 2 weeks.
Is the 10 gallon shrimp tank,the same for a 10 gallon fish tank's water changes? Like the percentages?

Signature

Latest threads

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Find a Guru

Top Bottom