Newbie Tank Questions Question

1. B

Bauna New Member Member

I am new to the fish community, but I do already have a fish whose life I want to improve. I am planning to get a 20 or 30 gallon tank for my full grown oranda fish and I also want to get a couple tankmates for it (particularly minnows). I do not know what type of filter to use or what I need to set up my first tank :( Also how often do you suggest I clean the tank and feed the oranda? Can someone give me some tips?

2. AquaticJ

AquaticJ Well Known Member Member

Do a 30 gallon. Do you have a filter already for your current tank?

3. OP
    OP
    B

Bauna New Member Member

No, I don't even have a tank for my oranda, that's how sad it is. My dad got this fish a few years back when I was quite young. We just kept it in a large bowl, which may be equivalent to the size of a 10 gallon tank.

4. AquaticJ

Well a 10 gallon tank would be 20 inches long, 12 inches wide. I would recommend an Aquaclear 70 for a 30 gallon tank. You should buy an API liquid test kit to watch your parameters as your tank cycles, water conditioner called Seachem Prime, and a gravel syphon. Have you read about the nitrogen cycle? If not, click the blue words. During this cycle, 25-50% water changes should be done as needed, to keep ammonia and nitrites at 1 or below. When the tank has finished cycling, water changes should be done once a week, 25-50%. I applaud you for coming here to learn the proper care needed.

5. OP
    OP
    B

Bauna New Member Member

Are there any other filters you recommend? Do you recommend a bare bottom tank for an oranda? Or do you think getting the gravel will be better since it will break their boredom?

6. AquaticJ

Gravel or bare bottom, doesn’t matter. As far as gallons per hour/effectiveness/price, Aquaclears are just the best.

7. UglyAsian

UglyAsian Well Known Member Member

I would recommend bare, because goldfish can hurt themselves on it (I heard), and it is alot easier to clean because you can spot clean.

8. OP
    OP
    B

Bauna New Member Member

9. AquaticJ

Dose it to the amount of new water being added.