Newbie - Stocking Question 10 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by parvataneni, Apr 14, 2010.

1. parvataneni

parvataneniValued MemberMember

Hi All,

I have a Aqueon 10g Deluxe tank with Heater,Thermometer, air-stone and artificial plants (no live plants) maintaining temperature around 72-75 as if now, getting closer to reading 0,0,10

Please suggest stocking, what kind of fish i can have and how many.I dont want to breed them or have babies so no babies please.

I need suggestions in what kind of fish i can have and should be easy to maintain.

Thanks

Praveen

Note: No frogs,snails,loaches.

2. Meenu

MeenuFishlore VIPMember

Do you like bettas? You could divide it and get 2 bettas...

3. Jrobber

JrobberWell Known MemberMember

4. Meenu

MeenuFishlore VIPMember

I'm going to respectfully disagree. That link has all of the fish profiles. Many of those are not appropriate for a 10 gallon tank. I would very much be against "taking your pick".

If you tell us what you are interested in, Praveen, we can tell you if it would work. Reading the fish profiles on the ones you are interested in is always helpful.

5. Prince Powder

Prince PowderWell Known MemberMember

6. midthought

midthoughtWell Known MemberMember

You could fit a smallish school of cory cats at that temp. Maybe 3-5 depending on what else you want to put in there. They are very cute, active, and have great personalities.

I think sparkling gourami are pretty, but they and other gourami (including betta) prefer warmer temps than the 72-75 that you're currently at. Edit: and the sparkling ones are kind of hard to find in brick and mortar stores. Bettas are obviously everywhere, but beware any tankmates since they generally do best on their own. And be careful to observe and secure a divider if you go that route to house 2.

But generally, I'd just advise you go to the pet/fish store and check out what you like, *don't buy any fish yet*, then go home and research their adult sizes, their needs, etc., and see what you can fit into your 10g. Or come back to this thread and run it by the people here. :)

Last edited: Apr 14, 2010
  7. Jrobber

JrobberWell Known MemberMember

Yeah, I was trying to lure parvataneni to look at the profiles and see the different requirements of fish for a smaller tank.

8. Meenu

MeenuFishlore VIPMember

Is it necessary to divide the tank? I thought DPs are fine in a species tank...

Love corydoras, but I think they need more horizontal space than a 10 gallon tank provides. Generally not recommended for that size tank. :( Which is too bad because they are super-cute.

Okay, good. I interpreted what you said as she could pick any fish on the list, and I was :shock: because your advice is usually waaaaaay better than that.

9. Prince Powder

Prince PowderWell Known MemberMember

From what I've read if you have two males they may fight. You should be able to have 2 in an undivided 10 gallon tank if you have 1m, 1f or possibly 2 f so long as there is sufficient hiding spots and established territories. Since a divided tank would allow sufficient space for each and eliminate the possibility of problems, I would personally divide the tank. My recommendation was based on how I would keep them if it were me. ;)

Although I would like to add to the OP: dwarf puffers are reputed to be very sensitive to water conditions so if you're looking for hardy fish they might be more of a challenge then you may want.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2010
  10. Meenu

MeenuFishlore VIPMember

Ah, thanks for the explanation. I love dwarf puffers... what an awesome suggestion. I'd go with 2, and I also like dividing for a puffer on one side and a betta on the other.

Praveen, if you decide to divide the tank, let us know - there's a thread about how to do it.

11. midthought

Yeah, I love cories...I'm always trying to scheme them into any tank. :p 10g is listed as the bare minimum for them, but you're probably right in that they'd be happier with larger digs. I have three in my 29g and they go all over the place.

12. OP
    OP
    parvataneni

Great!!! you guys are really really awesome, believe me i told about all you guys to all my friends and everyday i speak atleast 10 min about this forum to all my friends. This forum is one of the best and always the best so far i visited.

Thanks every one i really meant every one for all your time and effort in answering my question.

here is my interest..

1.I really like Betta's and Guppy's
    2. Betta would be my best choice,but here comes my questions.

a. How do i divide my tank?
    b.do i need to have two filters,2 heaters, 2 thermometer ....etc.
    c.How difficult is to manage bettas in terms of keeping water good ? and changing water ?

2. Guppy

a.i dont want them to have babies,can i have all male ?
    b.how about maintenance ?

Thanks all

13. midthought

Here's the link on dividing the tank: https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfi...ing-a-tank-for-bettas-fun-and-low-cost.46452/

I did mine with less than 5 dollars of office supply and craft supply materials. The most expensive thing is probably the suction cups I use to secure the tops.

You'd only need one filter and one heater. You probably don't need two thermometers (but obviously you could get the second one for peace of mind).

Bettas are pretty hardy and aren't picky about water. I'd just caution that they are tropical fish and prefer waters of at least 76, probably closer to 78-80. I've had my heater die without my noticing though, and they're perfectly fine. I've never really had ammonia or nitrite above 0 though, so I can't speak from experience about how they react to that. My bettas live in a semiplanted divided 10g and I change the water once a week, but could probably get away with every 10 days or even 2 weeks. My nitrates just don't go above 20 ppm really, I guess because of the plants.

As for guppies, I'll let someone else with more experience answer. :) Good luck though!

14. OP
    OP
    parvataneni

Here is my another question,

If i want to have ONLY ONE BETTA in my 10g tank, what other fish can i have in that which Betta won't kill them or eat them ?

Thank you

15. Meenu

MeenuFishlore VIPMember

bettas are not recommended for community tanks.

16. OP
    OP
    parvataneni

Meenu,

oh i c ... hmmm do you think if i keep only ONE BETTA in my 10g tank would it be happy to be all alone ?
    Do you think it would reduce my water changes task also ? but i like guppy's also but i dont want to have babies so no females ... not sure what to have .

17. midthought

It will sort of depend on your betta's personality, but for starters you'd really need to avoid fish with flowy fins or any other gouramis. People have reported having success with putting cories with a single betta, but 10g is on the very smallest tank you could put both in. And also in terms of compatibility, cories typically *prefer* water just a few degrees cooler than bettas do (68-76 for cories, 76-82 for bettas), which doesn't mean they can't acclimate (or your betta might actually like 77 degrees better than 82), but it's something to think about. Other than that...not sure, the small schooling fish I'm sort of familiar with tend to prefer cooler temps too. Maybe someone else can chime in on that.

Edit: will second Meenu though...bettas aren't community fish and it would probably be better for everyone for them to be by themselves.

18. OP
    OP
    parvataneni

may be i will keep one betta in my tank looks like i have no option

19. midthought

You shouldn't feel bad about that. You're going to give a wonderful home to a very lucky fish somewhere. :happy0034:

20. Elodea

ElodeaWell Known MemberMember

Oh, and about the tankmates, it all depends on the betta's personality. If he would allow it, a mystery snail would be a great addition to his tank.