10 Gallon Tank Newbie - Stocking Question

parvataneni

HI All,

I have a Aqueon 10 gallon Deluxe tank with Heater,Thermometer, air-stone and artificial plants (no live plants) maintaining temperature around 72-75 as if now, getting closer to reading 0,0,10

Please suggest stocking, what kind of fish I can have and how many.I don't want to breed them or have babies so no babies please.

I need suggestions in what kind of fish I can have and should be easy to maintain.

Thanks

Praveen

Note: No frogs,snails,loaches.

Meenu

Do you like bettas? You could divide it and get 2 bettas...

Meenu

Jrobber said:
https://www.fishlore.com/freshwaterfish.htm

Take your pick friend. Definitely try not to overstock, or you'll have to do mroe tank maintenance.
I'm going to respectfully disagree. That link has all of the fish profiles. Many of those are not appropriate for a 10 gallon tank. I would very much be against "taking your pick".

If you tell us what you are interested in, Praveen, we can tell you if it would work. Reading the fish profiles on the ones you are interested in is always helpful.

Prince Powder

midthought

You could fit a smallish school of cory cats at that temp. Maybe 3-5 depending on what else you want to put in there. They are very cute, active, and have great personalities.

I think sparkling gourami are pretty, but they and other gouramI (including betta) prefer warmer temps than the 72-75 that you're currently at. Edit: and the sparkling ones are kind of hard to find in brick and mortar stores. Bettas are obviously everywhere, but beware any tank mates since they generally do best on their own. And be careful to observe and secure a divider if you go that route to house 2.

But generally, I'd just advise you go to the pet/fish store and check out what you like, *don't buy any fish yet*, then go home and research their adult sizes, their needs, etc., and see what you can fit into your 10g. Or come back to this thread and run it by the people here.

Jrobber

Meenu said:
I'm going to respectfully disagree. That link has all of the fish profiles. Many of those are not appropriate for a 10 gallon tank. I would very much be against "taking your pick".

If you tell us what you are interested in, Praveen, we can tell you if it would work. Reading the fish profiles on the ones you are interested in is always helpful.
Yeah, I was trying to lure parvatanenI to look at the profiles and see the different requirements of fish for a smaller tank.

Meenu

Prince Powder said:
Divide and get 2 dwarf puffers
Is it necessary to divide the tank? I thought DPs are fine in a species tank...

midthought said:
You could fit a smallish school of cory cats at that temp. Maybe 3-5 depending on what else you want to put in there. They are very cute, active, and have great personalities.
Love corydoras, but I think they need more horizontal space than a 10 gallon tank provides. Generally not recommended for that size tank. Which is too bad because they are super-cute.

Jrobber said:
Yeah, I was trying to lure parvatanenI to look at the profiles and see the different requirements of fish for a smaller tank.
Okay, good. I interpreted what you said as she could pick any fish on the list, and I was :shock: because your advice is usually waaaaaay better than that.

Prince Powder

Meenu said:
Is it necessary to divide the tank? I thought DPs are fine in a species tank...
From what I've read if you have two males they may fight. You should be able to have 2 in an undivided 10 gallon tank if you have 1m, 1f or possibly 2 f so long as there is sufficient hiding spots and established territories. Since a divided tank would allow sufficient space for each and eliminate the possibility of problems, I would personally divide the tank. My recommendation was based on how I would keep them if it were me.

Although I would like to add to the OP: dwarf puffers are reputed to be very sensitive to water conditions so if you're looking for hardy fish they might be more of a challenge then you may want.

Meenu

Ah, thanks for the explanation. I love dwarf puffers... what an awesome suggestion. I'd go with 2, and I also like dividing for a puffer on one side and a betta on the other.

Praveen, if you decide to divide the tank, let us know - there's a thread about how to do it.

midthought

Meenu said:
Love corydoras, but I think they need more horizontal space than a 10 gallon tank provides. Generally not recommended for that size tank. Which is too bad because they are super-cute.
Yeah, I love cories...I'm always trying to scheme them into any tank. 10 gallon is listed as the bare minimum for them, but you're probably right in that they'd be happier with larger digs. I have three in my 29 gallon and they go all over the place.

parvataneni

Great!!! you guys are really really awesome, believe me I told about all you guys to all my friends and everyday I speak atleast 10 min about this forum to all my friends. This forum is one of the best and always the best so far I visited.

Thanks every one I really meant every one for all your time and effort in answering my question.

here is my interest..

1.I really like Betta's and Guppy's
2. Betta would be my best choice,but here comes my questions.

a. How do I divide my tank?
b.do I need to have two filters,2 heaters, 2 thermometer ....etc.
c.How difficult is to manage bettas in terms of keeping water good ? and changing water ?

2. Guppy

a.I don't want them to have babies,can I have all male ?
b.how about maintenance ?

Thanks all

midthought

Here's the link on dividing the tank: https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfi...ing-a-tank-for-bettas-fun-and-low-cost.46452/

I did mine with less than 5 dollars of office supply and craft supply materials. The most expensive thing is probably the suction cups I use to secure the tops.

You'd only need one filter and one heater. You probably don't need two thermometers (but obviously you could get the second one for peace of mind).

Bettas are pretty hardy and aren't picky about water. I'd just caution that they are tropical fish and prefer waters of at least 76, probably closer to 78-80. I've had my heater die without my noticing though, and they're perfectly fine. I've never really had ammonia or nitrite above 0 though, so I can't speak from experience about how they react to that. My bettas live in a semiplanted divided 10 gallon and I change the water once a week, but could probably get away with every 10 days or even 2 weeks. My nitrates just don't go above 20 ppm really, I guess because of the plants.

As for guppies, I'll let someone else with more experience answer. Good luck though!

parvataneni

Here is my another question,

If I want to have ONLY ONE BETTA in my 10 gallon tank, what other fish can I have in that which Betta won't kill them or eat them ?

Thank you

Meenu

bettas are not recommended for community tanks.

parvataneni

Meenu,

oh I c ... hmmm do you think if I keep only ONE BETTA in my 10 gallon tank would it be happy to be all alone ?
Do you think it would reduce my water changes task also ? but I like guppy's also but I don't want to have babies so no females ... not sure what to have .

midthought

It will sort of depend on your betta's personality, but for starters you'd really need to avoid fish with flowy fins or any other gouramis. People have reported having success with putting cories with a single betta, but 10 gallon is on the very smallest tank you could put both in. And also in terms of compatibility, cories typically *prefer* water just a few degrees cooler than bettas do (68-76 for cories, 76-82 for bettas), which doesn't mean they can't acclimate (or your betta might actually like 77 degrees better than 82), but it's something to think about. Other than that...not sure, the small schooling fish I'm sort of familiar with tend to prefer cooler temps too. Maybe someone else can chime in on that.

Edit: will second Meenu though...bettas aren't community fish and it would probably be better for everyone for them to be by themselves.

parvataneni

may be I will keep one betta in my tank looks like I have no option

midthought

You shouldn't feel bad about that. You're going to give a wonderful home to a very lucky fish somewhere.

Elodea

Oh, and about the tankmates, it all depends on the betta's personality. If he would allow it, a mystery snail would be a great addition to his tank.

Meenu

Brian, no snails, loaches, or frogs - it was in OP's first post

FLGirl

Just a newbie here but I think a betta would rock! In fact once my 1st tank is all stable Iv been seriously considering getting a 5-10 gallon and getting a betta myself but I figure I better make sure my one is all good before moving to more rofl [= or if you are not happy with that you could just forget the betta and look at the other fish that will fit and be happy you don't have to get a betta but its a cool idea. Good luck!!!

parvataneni

Thanks to everyone for wonderful suggestions.

Finally I am going to get a ONE BETTA for my 10G tank.Can you suggest me a Beautiful Betta please ? and let me know what things I need to take care inorder for my betta to have safe and good Home.

Thanks

Praveen

midthought

I think Crowntails and Halfmoons are probably the most striking, and common at fish stores now. Here are some pictures:

(halfmoon)

Colors run the gamut, so it's really up to your personal preference. Some are more opaque, some iridescent (like metal), some pastel or cellophane. Red, blue, and turquoise/green are the most common colors. Some rarer ones are pineapple (yellow), all black (aka melano), and all white.

Meenu

Besides the obvious like heater, filter, conditioner, and food, bettas like tall plants with broad leaves to rest on (can be fake or real). Some people get hamster tubes to use as a tunnel so the bettas can play, or caves, etc.

As far as which betta, it is up to you. We have a few breeders on this site who ship, and there are websites like aquabid. There are also fish stores in your area, but the quality of the fish won't be as good as if you purchase from a breeder.

parvataneni

okie regarding Decor of fishtank, I have attached my exisiting fish tank decoration pictures could you please look at it and tell me what changes I need to do ?

Thanks meenu

Attachments

midthought

Oh, and if your filter has a strong outflow, you may want to diffuse the flow so that your betta is more comfortable. There are a few DIY things you could easily rig, or you could just place plants or decor there. There was a recent thread but I can't find it. Anyway, here's one: I did it using a sponge instead of filter cartridge. It may not be that big a deal in a 15 gallon though since he'll have more room to avoid it.

I'll second Meenu on the plants comment. My bettas love their floating banana plants best, but also hide among the ambulia and other stem plants. They actually use the little ceramic caves I got them too, particularly my halfmoon.

Meenu

You're going to put the betta in a 10 gallon by himself? Or are you going to have tankmates?
If I remember correctly, you are not dividing it?

parvataneni

Meenu,

Yes I will keep one Betta all alone.Looking at the picture of my tank I need more suggestions in getting comfortable decoration for my coming Betta.As you suggested I would order them from the website.Before that please help me with some decorations stuff before I get my Betta

JustinF

There are some Local fish stores that sell male guppies only and I've had luck in the past with no breeding. (My local Walmart sells just male guppies where I live, but I'd only go there as the last option.)

parvataneni

I have a LFS store near to me , they do have male Guppies, I like Guppies but as I said in my previuos post I don't want them to Breed at all.

midthought

I don't think there's anything wrong with your decor. You could add more tall plants or a floating log, but I think your betta would be fine in there.

Meenu

I think taller plants with broad leaves, maybe planted a little more heavily than you currently have. What are you planning to do with the fish in there now?

Meenu

parvataneni said:
I have a LFS store near to me , they do have male Guppies, I like Guppies but as I said in my previuos post I don't want them to Breed at all.
If you have all male guppies, they can't breed. However, too many of them, and they will become aggressive with each other.

parvataneni

Right now I have danios .. I am going to return them to the same LFS store. I am close to 0,0,10 Readings.LFS gave me Danios for faster cycling

Prince Powder

Your best bet for checking your decor would be to test one piece at a time. Take the piece out, run a pair of pantyhose over it, if the decor snags the pantyhose then it will most likely snag your betta's fins so you might want to remove it or file it down a bit to smooth rough edges. As the others mentioned, add a few tall, broad leaf plants for your betta to rest on. Live plants are great or, if you're like me, silk is an excellent alternative. You can get an idea of what kinds of plants would be good if you check out the pictures of my 14 gallon tank on my page.

Top Bottom