Newbie: Stocking for a 70l (18g) Neon Tetra tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Fishgurl12, Aug 1, 2015.

1. Fishgurl12

Fishgurl12 Valued Member Member

Hi everyone,
    I am doing research on my options for stocking my 70 litre tank. I did a fish less cycle and levels were Am 0, Ni 0, Na 80 when I last checked. I am currently on holiday and have some raw prawn in my tank which is keeping my tank cycled till I get back on Tuesday (hopefully!). I will get fish in ASAP when I get home.

I had my heart set on Neon Tetras since I was a kid so want them to be the main feature but I know I should put them in last. I like the NTs peacefulness but also want fish that are more interesting to watch (like Guppies?). What would you suggest are good buddies for NTs? My LFS suggested something like:

12 Neon Tetras
    8 Guppies (saw some pretty ones)
    6 Platies (not excited about these)

I know the LFS aren't reliable with regards for healthy stocking levels so any advice on capacity and fish that will get on would be great! Thanks!

2. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

If you are to do livebearers make sure they are all male as you don't want to have to deal with overstocking by offspring.
    I would get 12 neons, 12 cories (like bronze cories or panda cories), a dwarf gourami, and 3 male guppies. And keep the temp at 74 as neons don't do well in temps higher than that.

3. OP
    OP
    Fishgurl12

Thanks Anders! That sounds like a nice set up. Those panda cories look really cool. Don't remember seeing them in my LFS but I may have missed them. Will they be ok with gravel rather than sand? I just read that you have to be careful of their barbels.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

What's the footprint for the tank? 12 cories seems a lot for an 18 gal.

5. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Agreed, Anders' stocking idea seems a bit overstocked. Maybe leave out the guppies and cut down on the number of cories. Or leave out the gourami if adding the guppies.

6. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

If the tank is the one in the OP's signature it's 22 x 12 x 15 then imo 12 corys would be too many, especially bronze which get a good 3".
    I'd go with a smaller cory such as the pandas or trilineatus & have around 6/7

7. OP
    OP
    Fishgurl12

I wouldn't mind leaving out the Gourami as I like the idea of having a small school of guppies.

Coradee is right, my dimensions are the one in my signature. Would be happy to go for a smaller school of panda cories as I really like those. Would this work better:
    12 Neon tetras
    3 guppies
    6 panda cories (if they don't have these at my LFS which other cories are small enough)

Also, how long should it take to do this stocking after a fishless cycle? I'm happy not to rush it as I want my fish and water chemistry to be as healthy as possible.

I just googled the trilineatus cories and like those too. Will look out for those in my LFS.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2015
  8. TexasDomer

12 neons sounds like a bit much too. The footprint isn't much bigger than a 10 gal. Maybe you could do 8?

So that would be:
    8 neons
    3 guppies
    6 panda cories

After your ammonia and nitrites are consistently zero, and your nitrates between 5-20 ppm, you could add the 3 guppies, wait two weeks, add the cories, wait two weeks, and add the neons. Neons should be added last, as they are the most sensitive to poor water quality.

9. OP
    OP
    Fishgurl12

Thanks Texas! I think that set up will do nicely. Will also follow your recommendations on how to build up the over time. Can't wait to get them in now!

10. OP
    OP
    Fishgurl12

I have been reading about the Cories and am a bit worried about them on my gravel substrate (from Pets At Home/Pet Smart). Will they be ok? Some threads on this forum mention sick cories or damaged barbels. Should I take this opportunity to switch to sand before I add my fish? I prefer the look of sand any way but could switching over affect my water chemistry?

Thanks for your help on this one.

11. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Corys can be kept on gravel as long as it isn't sharp & is kept clean, however they would prefer sand so if you're going to switch it'd be better changing over before you get them.
    Some beneficial bacteria will be on the gravel so monitor your water carefully in case of any spikes, you could do the switch in two halves leaving a week or so between each.

12. OP
    OP
    Fishgurl12

Thank you Coradee. I think I will do the change over. I was thinking about it before so this just gives me an excuse to do this before I put the fish in. I've been looking into the pros and cons and I think sand is a good way to go for me :)

13. TexasDomer

I have sand in my 55 gal and gravel in my 10 gal. I much prefer sand! Much easier to clean.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice