NEWBIE QUESTIONS

TMAG

Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

I've just joined this form so hope you don't mind me jumping right in with a couple of questions

I've never kept fish before but decided to bite the bullet and have a go. I bought a second hand tank (approx 45 gallon UK), have got gravel and artificial plants in, and then started cycling the tank.

Firstly - the dreaded fishless cycle using Ammonia liquid! I seem to have been doing this for ever but it's actially just over 3 weeks. My readings for yesterday were :-

Ph 7.8, Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0.25, Nitrate 40.

I put a bit a Ammonia in the tank just to keep things ticking over and today got these readings:-

Ph 7.8, Ammonia 0, Nitrite 5.0, Nitrate 80.

Am I right in thinking that I just keep adding a bit of Ammonia daily until the Nitrite goes down to 0, and not worry about the Nitrate level?

Second question - what fish?

I am now starting to think about what fish to get, and have sort of come up with a list. I don't want livebearers, just a peaceul, colourful tank with fish at all levels.

Would these fit that bill?

HARLEQUIN RASBORAS
ZEBRA DANIOS
CHERRY BARBS
MIDGET CATFISH
CORYDORAS
CHERRY SHRIMP
NERITE SNAILS

Sorry if these should have been done in 2 seperate posts, it's just I have so many questions running through my head at the moment I would not leave room pn the site for anyone else if I did a seperate post for each! ;D

Neville

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
hi TMAG, this is neville,

i think you're doing a fine job with the cycling process. keep it up and do not add fish until the process is complete. harlequins, tetras, danios, brabs r schooling fish; u have to keep 6 of them in a tank or else barbs may become fin nippers. i think 6 harlequins, 6 danios, 6 tetras and 6 cories will look nice in your 45 gallon tank. the rule is 1 gallon of water for 1 inch fish, but sometimes people overcrowed, but it is better if u give your fish more swimming space. and u have to study a lot before u add any fish to your new tank. cories(corydoras) r very good algae eaters they will keep your tank clean. u can add some barbs later if u see everything is fine. zebra danios r very hardy fish and good fish for beginners. feel free to ask if u have any question.

good luck.

TMAG

Reaction score
Good Morning Neville, and thanks for your reply.

I can't wait to get some fish in, it seems ages since I got it all set up, but I suppose patience is a virtue!

Thanks for looking at the list of fish. I've done loads of reading, but it's nice to have someone elses opinion too. I don't want to get fish that don't get on, or add ones that will upset the peace of the tank etc.

Thanks again.

Neville

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
u r welcome,

nerite snails r saltwater snails i think, not sure though, i've heard they r reef snails!!!!!!!! cherry shrimps r also good algae eaters and they r easy to breed.

Icicle

Valued Member
Reaction score
TMAG,

Sorry I dont have any of those fish so I can't really comment.
However, as far as your A/N/N levels go I would ask how often are you performing water changes right now?
If it were me in your situation, I might up the frequency or the amount, depending on what you are currently doing.

Your nitrate levels, especially at 80, are high.
You ideally want to keep them 20 - 40 (I know, some people say 40 and others say 20..)

I'm not an expert, this is just what I've learned myself from asking questions.
Hope it helps!

jri4

Valued Member
Reaction score
Danios are hardy, I have 5 in my 10 gallon tank. They are also fast, exciting, and playful (a joy to watch). Do water changes often (25-35%) to get the Nitrate level down. Corys are awesome little guys too, and I am partial to the cherry barbs! But as Neville said, Barbs and Danios need to be in schools of 6. Welcome aboard!

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Welcome to FishLore!  I believe you add enough ammonia daily to get your levels up to 5.0 on the ammonia, as the tank cycles.  Once you can add the ammonia to get your level up to 5.0 and within 24 hours, the level goes back down to zero, your nitrite level is also at zero, and you have nitrates, your tank is cycled.  Once you know your tank is cycled, you do a massive water change, refill the tank, and add all the fish you planned for that tank.  From what you have posted, it looks like you are well on your way to finishing the cycle.  It's much more accurate to know where you're at though, when you add the ammonia as stated above, so the process is a little more controlled.  You don't need to do any water changes yet until the cycling process if over.  If you had fish producing the ammonia in the tank instead of adding it yourself, that would be a different story.   Don't worry about the nitrate level either right now.  When you do your massive water change, you will bring that nitrate level down to where it should be.  

P.S. Welcome to FishLore!

susitna-flower

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Welcome TMAG, I am so glad Gunnie posted a reply as it seems that some didn't read your post carefully. You are doing a fishless cycle, and Gunnie has it right!
One other thing I would like to comment on, is that corydoras do NOT eat algae. You may want corys, they are good at cleaning up the bottom of the tank of bits of left over food, and are cute, but if you want something to clean your tank of algae, 3-5 otoes, or a small bristlenose pleco would be the ticket! I'm glad you joined fishlore, and ask all the questions you want, it is fun to share this hobby with others!

Fish in the Frozen North 8)

aqua man130

Reaction score
i reckon you should put a breeding pair of cichlids in the tank here are some of them that u can choose from::

blue acaras
keyholes
chocolate chiclids if u cvan find them anywhere these days
oscars
or rams

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
aqua man130 said:
i reckon you should put a breeding pair of cichlids in the tank here are some of them that u can choose from::

blue acaras
keyholes
chocolate chiclids if u cvan find them anywhere these days
oscars
or rams
That tank isn't big enough for a pair of oscars. 2 oscars would need at least 100 gals. IMO.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom