Newbie / Questions About Food

Patric

Hello. Just started the aquarium hobby in January and currently own a 20 gallon long tank w/ Neon, Cardinal & Ember Tetras and Cobra & Tiger Endlers. I'm currently feeding them Top Fin Tropical Flakes but I'm sure there are better choices.

I have been reading about 15 pages on this forum what's the best to feed them and Omega One appears to be a favorite. However, they have a dizzying array of products and I would greatly appreciate some recommendations to keep my fish as healthy as possible. Omega One Freshwater Flakes looked like the most logical choice. Thank you.

Crispii

Omega One is a good food for fish, but variety is the key. Feeding different types of food each day is healthier than feeding one type of food everyday.

Patric

So I ended up buying one bottle of Omega One Freshwater Flakes and another of TetraMin Plus. The results was somewhat surprising considering how highly rated the Omega is. My fish barely eat it. The Plus on the other hand, lol, they almost jump out of the tank when I serve that. So the verdict is clear, at least among the fish in my peaceful community tank.

ystrout

They'll eat it... Don't feed them for a day and see how crazy they got for it when you feed it to them.

Omega One makes much higher quality food. And like CrispiI said, variety is important. So consider getting a couple other tubs of food to mix it up. You want the other foods to have different main ingredients. For example, getting something like TetraMin and Topfin flakes won't do you much good. I don't know the exact ingredients, but I'm pretty sure it has fish meal, flour, etc.

My tropical community fish get Omega One Tropical Flakes, Fluval Bug Bites (salmon and black soldier fly based food), NLS Optimum flakes (Krill based), and Zoo Med Spurilina 20.

It may sound like a lot, but all these foods have pretty different ingredients. And I only buy flake/pellet food once or twice a year since it lasts longer this way.

You should also mix in frozen food like bloodworms, brine shrimp, and frozen peas once or twice a week.

Patric

Thank you for your reply. I will try the ones that you mentioned, including brine shrimp and bloodworms. Yummy.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
DoubleDutch
Replies
Views
Gidde
Replies
Views
JustAFishServant
  • Question
Replies