Newbie Question About Puffer

Discussion in 'Puffers' started by Manuel1223, Aug 3, 2017.

1. Manuel1223

Manuel1223 Valued Member Member

Hey so i have a 30 gal tank and really like the pea puffers. But i am worried they wont fit well with other fish im also looking at. Right now i have 3 red eye tetras( will move up to 6-8 once cycled) and 4 black molly. I really like the albino cory also. Can all of these mix? Ive heard and read they can be not so friendly. But im also pretty new and i just want to plan for my tank.

2. smitty23

smitty23 Valued Member Member

I wouldn't suggest it. Puffers are not nice to other fish. They are gonna nip fins if they can't eat the prey.

3. OP
    OP
    Manuel1223

What can they be paired with then lol

4. smitty23

Themselves.

5. smitty23

species only or most one puffer one tank. With peas you can have more peas.

6. OP
    OP
    Manuel1223

Im coming to the conclusion i cant have this fish :(

7. YasM

YasM New Member Member

Hi,

My 2 puffers are approximately 6 months old now. I have them in a 50 gallon tank and I have them in Brackish water. I changed over from Fresh water to brackish approximately 2 months ago. I have noticed recently that one puffer is always grey on the belly while the second puffer has really brightened up with a more yellow appearance on his back. The bright yellow puffer rarely turns grey underneath (usually he's white) but here and there he will get a bit of grey. They do not fight with each other as the tank is so big they can hide on different sides. They sleep on opposite sides of the tank in their plants / hiding spots but during the day they seem to swim around together. I have been testing for ammonia levels GH, KH, PH, NO2 and NO3.

Can someone give some advice on what I need to do to fix the puffer that is always grey? I don't want him dying.

Test results as of 10 minutes ago

Ammonia = 0.25
    GH = 120
    KH = 40 (i think that is pretty low?)
    PH = 6.5 (again, is this too low?)
    NO2 = 0
    NO3 = 160 (I double tested as this number seems really high)

What is going on? Are my readings way out of wack? How do I get the tank stable. I should mention I have approximately 10 ghost shrimp in the tank for food at the moment.

Thanks in advance!

8. smitty23

The shrimp will be gone... did you possibly do a deep cleaning or change filter pads?

9. YasM

YasM New Member Member

You can mix them with Plecko's, Loachs, and fish with barely any fins. I have had success with those pairings before.

10. YasM

YasM New Member Member

Filter pads were not changed as I heard that with off set the nitrogen cycle and only change the pads when absolutely necessary and the water flow is impeded. I did a 25 percent water change about 1 week ago and cleaned the gravel with the suction tube. The grayness was there before the cleaning, but did not get worse after the cleaning - just stayed the same.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
  11. smitty23

You need to be doing 25 30% daily to get your levels stable again. Key to pollution is dilution.

12. YasM

YasM New Member Member

Thank you for the advice. Can I ask you what my levels should be looking like in a stable tank? And what factors would have upset the tank balance? I want to avoid any stress on the fish as much as I possibly can.

Thanks,

13. smitty23

Ph should be close to what it always is. Everything else should be very low and leveled out. Do you have a API master test kit? You'll need to be able to test your salinity, as well.

14. YasM

YasM New Member Member

No I do not. I only have the API 5 in 1 test kit and then the API Ammonia test kit. I guess I will be getting the salinity tester on Tuesday when the stores reopen. I assume this kit is to check how much marine salt I am adding? Thank you for all the advice.

15. Cori Elizabeth

Cori Elizabeth Well Known Member Member

This should be moved to its own thread.

16. Cori Elizabeth

pea puffers should be kept in species only tanks.

17. YasM

YasM New Member Member

Thanks for the advice! I wasn't sure how to start a thread as I am new to this site but I think I have now figured it out! Thanks :)

18. Cori Elizabeth

If you need any help navigating start a conversation with me :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice