Newbie question about filters & water current

fastdog

Reaction score
I've been reading through some of the posts, but still have a question about filtering. I have a small tank (~3 gallons) and a new little female Betta fish. She seems pretty happy and active thus far. The care sheet at the petstore said that Betta fish don't like water current. I've had a couple betta's in the past, and have always had a small filter. My question is: is it better to have a little current, but clean water, or is it better to have completely still water, but change it all the time?

I picked up a little filter at the petstore...it was meant for a small tank, and it had adjustable flow control, which I liked, but it was unbelievably loud. I just can't leave the fish in the tank with that loud thing running all the time.

Anyhow, I would appreciate any feedback on this. Would it be better to have the filter on for 1/2 the day (I could put it on a timer)? That way the tank still gets some cleaning, but she gets a break for awhile.

thanks,
Sarah

Phloxface

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I think the people who say Bettas can't handle current are the same ones who say Bettas are happier in tiny bowls... I have 6 Bettas and all of them LOVE playing in the filter current and in the bubbles from their airstones. As long as the current isn't ridiculously strong they are just fine. You can reduce the current by putting a piece of filter floss or filter pad in front of the water flow to slow it down. Filtered water is important to fish health and it should be on all the time.

cherryrose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I totally agree with Phloxface. If there isn't a current in their tank scum develops on the top and makes it hard for them to go to the top to breath. Clean water is one of the most critical needs of a betta. They also need warm water--about 80 degrees.

CherryRose

lisab53

Reaction score
Sarah, I had read the same thing about current and was a little concerned about what filter to use. I have a 5 gallon tank and the store sold me a Toms Power Filter. The box said it filtered up to 20 gallons and I thought it would be to much but it has an adjustment for water flow and it is so quiet I have no idea it's on. I wish I would have know about it when I bought a filter for my 20 gallon tank. I put a penguin filter on that tank and it is pretty loud.

Now, Fastdog, that email sounds so familiar, is your fast dog a greyhound?

Lisa

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom