Newbie Proud Betta Owner

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Frost1420, Jun 19, 2018.

1. Frost1420

Frost1420 New Member Member

I have recently about a week and a half ago purchased a half moon , twin tailed Betta . He is currently in a 1 Gal bowl which I find cruel I want to upgrade to a 10 Gal tank with live Dwarf hair grass .Although someone said was hard to grow and should use Wisteria . Would like opinion and is it even good for Betta .Plan to start new tank next week have heard several ways to set up I want to know if I should plant either hair grass or wisteria at the same time I set up tank at some point I would like to introduce some community fish I was told neon tetras or Ember tetras seem to be getting mixed opinions PLEASE HELP ...

2. S

Small Tanks Valued Member Member

Wistera grows like crazy.

Your betta will also appreciate some tall leafy plants (java fern is a good easy one, as is the taller anubias)

3. OP
    OP
    Frost1420

But I don't want something to grow out of control what's a good green floor cover? Do you know ?

4. FishFor2018

FishFor2018 Well Known Member Member

I would not recommend the tetras they tend to nip at the bettas fins. Maybe some Rasboras, or corydaras would do well

5. IHaveADogToo

IHaveADogToo Well Known Member Member

Dwarf hair grass will do what you're looking for carpet wise, but it can be a hard plant to keep alive in a low-tech setup (no co2, no fertilizers, no broad spectrum light, etc). Plus, if your betta ever gets sick and you have to administer meds, the hairgrass will be the first plant to die. Speaking from experience. Bettas do enjoy dwarf hairgrass, but they LOVE tall, leafy plants, and floating plants the most. My bettas really love amazon swords, and guppy grass. Guppy grass is long and viny and leafy and can be planted in the substrate or left to float. If you can find it, your betta will LOVE it.

Regarding tank mates. In a 10 gallon tank, I would stay away from any schooling fish, like rasboaras or tetras. In fact, with a betta, I would not give him other fish as tank mates in a 10 gallon tank, I would give him snails, shrimp, or maybe a dwarf frog as a tank mates instead. It's just, 10 gallons is kind of close quarters, and bettas are territorial. They do get along with other fish if given enough room. I had my male betta in my 29 gallon community tank and he was fine with other fish but when I moved him to a 10 gallon tank I couldn't keep other fish with him at all. Huge difference in his behavior.

I'm happy to see that you're upgrading him from a 1 gallon bowl! Thank you for that.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  6. OP
    OP
    Frost1420

Thank you

I want to thank you you have been most helpful now if I could just ask one more question when do I add the live plants when I set the tank up or after a few days later

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2018
  7. FishFor2018

Are you familiar with the nitrogen cycle?

8. OP
    OP
    Frost1420

Not really I keep reading about nitrates and nitrites but I'm confused

9. FishFor2018

If not research it it’s very important when setting up a new tank. As far as the plants I think you have to wait until you beneficial bacteria has built up which would be about 3 weeks to 6 weeks. To speed up the process you can put some gravel in your new filter and maybe take some decor from existing tanks and put it in there. Or you can get some safe start.

Yes it is confusing sometimes I even get mixed up with them. Lol

10. motherofbettas

motherofbettas Valued Member Member

That's so awesome you're upgrading him! He will love it! In the meantime make sure to keep up on daily water changes with his 1 gallon bowl. Add Prime to any new water that you add to his bowl and tank to help keep him from getting sick! :) Welcome to the forum!

11. IHaveADogToo

IHaveADogToo Well Known Member Member

Plants actually assist the nitrogen cycle, not hinder it, so you could add plants the day you put water in the tank if you wanted. It's adding fish that you should really wait for. But if you're a perfectionist, a month of messing with the aquascape while the tank cycles will pass by pretty fast.

12. FishFor2018

I did not know that but know I do thanks

13. OP
    OP
    Frost1420

Thank you I'm already thinking if 10 Gal why not bigger!!

Oh that's great no I'm going to keep "Capone" in his 1 Gal until new tank is ready .I was hoping to be able to add plants with water set up .

I am a perfectionist and will enjoy messing with the decor

14. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

I think it would be better tondo a fish in cycle in the 10 gallon instead of keeping him in the bowl until the tank is cycled.

I would get some duckweed and anacharis.

15. OP
    OP
    Frost1420

Thank you he really looks pitiful in his bowl but better than the cup I got him out of

16. BettaFishKeeper4302

BettaFishKeeper4302 Well Known Member Member

Try a marimo moss ball. Bettas love those and will sometimes play with them. Sometimes bettas will be sold with them.

17. Aquilist

Aquilist Valued Member Member

When its setup show us some photos!! SO good that you're moving him from that bowl.

18. Georgie Girl

Georgie Girl Valued Member Member

I agree with 75g Discus. Don't wait - do a fish-in cycle. There is a great article here in Fishlore about the nitrogen cycle. Don't miss it.

I could not agree more! And thank you for rescuing him.

If you do decide on the fish-in method, to get him out of the one-gallon quickly, just be sure to condition the water first - it's essential. I and a lot of our friends here use Seachem Prime. I also use Stability, but it's the Prime that's really important.

Congratulations on your new friend! You'll enjoy him. My betta is super friendly. He know my voice and my face! This amazes me. He's very curious and is unafraid. You will enjoy getting to know Capone.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice