Newbie on the hobby

Newfie21

Hello everyone! I have been reading here alot specially with the nitrogen cycle thing before i decided to register ☺️.
I recently bought a 40 gallon breeder i think 7 days ago stocked it with plants 1 driftwood and one 2 story cichlid cave. Gravel for substrate.
I started my cycle day 1 using nutrafin cycle( petsmart staff recommended this to me) followed instruction and on day 3 tested water ammo .25 trite 0 trate 5.0ppm ph 7.4
So i went ahead and added 2 black skirt 1 white skirt tetra and 1 bn pleco

Day 5 tested water .25 ammo .25 trite 5.0 trate 7.4 ph still i added another batch of skirt tetras so now i have 4 black and 4 white (because i have read they are better in more than 6) and my husband wanted to add 1 more bn pleco so we did.

tested water ammo .50 trite .50-1.0 trate 5-10ppm 7.4 ph i did a 10% water change i got scared on the results

(Im dosing prime everyday just incase the ammo and trite hurts my fish) now on day 6 and 7 im at .25 ammo .50-1.0 trite 5.0-10 trate ph 7.4

im wondering if my cycle’s progressing right,
since im seeing changes on the water test results.
I have also read alot of people here writing about nutrafin cycle not working?

should i stop putting cycle now?
Like doing a weekly dose as to what the instruction says?

and also would like some stockingsuggestions thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 45

The_fishy

Even though you added the cycle stuff, the lack of ammonia in the water meant no food for the bacteria. Basically, you are now doing a fish-in cycle and your level changes are reflecting this. mattgirl is the go to on the fish-in cycle.

Newfie21

oh i see thank you! would feeding my fish 2-3x a day help build up ammonia?

The_fishy

oh i see thank you! would feeding my fish 2-3x a day help build up ammonia?
Right now, you don’t want ammonia because it will harm the fish. A cycled tank should read no ammonia and no nitrites and you should not add anymore fish until you reach this. I’d stick to your normal feeding routine or a little less.

Ammonia (toxic) is produced via fish waste and decomposing food, then is processed by a bacteria into nitrite (toxic), which is then processed by a different bacteria into nitrate (toxic at higher levels). Once the tank is fully cycled, there is no need to add more of the cycle stuff.

Newfie21

Ok thanks would adding tetra safestart gonna help my fish in cycle?or anything that you could advice? Should i leave it alone for now and just dose it with prime daily? Thanks! Sorry i think i didnt understand what i have been reading all along

Mhamilton0911

I would stop adding anything, test for ammonia and nitrite, and add the two amounts, when they total 1ppm, do a water change to get it to .5ppm. Use Prime when doing water changes. Adding the bottled bacteria could give you false readings. I would change water from test readings vs on a schedule. Frequency depends on stocking and volume. Ammonia + Nitrite at 1ppm and below will be OK for fish in cycle. Don't use Prime as a substitute for an actual water change. If it's high, need to dilute by changing water.
mattgirl is our resident fish in cycle guru. I'm sure she'll correct me a bit
I did a fish in cycle and didn't lose a single fish, but I tested every day and changed the water often.

mattgirl

Take a few minutes to read and understand THIS It expains what is going on, what to expect and what to do to get this tank cycled. Don't add anymore fish until the cycle is complete.

Once you read and understand if you have more questions i am sure we will be able to answer them.

Mhamilton0911

Also, don't deep clean anything until your cycle is really going. Resist the urge.

FishBoy101

I would add some more tetras, try and get a school going.

FishBoy101

But you should wait to your tank to cycle.

FishBoy101

I forgot!!! Welcome to FishLore, gl with your tank!!!!!

Newfie21

Are you testing with a liquid test kit, or strips?
Hi there i am using API master test kit thank you for the warm welcome!
sure i will read that too, i just did a test 30 mins ago my readings are A .25 Trite .50 trate 5ppm tomorrow morning i will do a water change thanks!

once my tank gets cycled what can you guys recommend as a centerpiece fish? I was planning on angelfish but will they get along with the skirts? I like some dwarf gouramis too and if i add 6 cory panda will i be way too overstocked?
This is what im planning to have once everything is good to go.
8 tetra ✅ in already
2 bn pleco✅ In already
1-2 angel fish
2 dwarf gourami
6 cory
☺️

BigManAquatics

Welcome here, and we are ALL noobs at something!! Great place here for info and i see you have been provided links for some of it! Have fun!

mattgirl

Hi there i am using API master test kit thank you for the warm welcome!
sure i will read that too, i just did a test 30 mins ago my readings are A .25 Trite .50 trate 5ppm tomorrow morning i will do a water change thanks!

once my tank gets cycled what can you guys recommend as a centerpiece fish? I was planning on angelfish but will they get along with the skirts? I like some dwarf gouramis too and if i add 6 cory panda will i be way too overstocked?
This is what im planning to have once everything is good to go.
8 tetra ✅ in already
2 bn pleco✅ In already
1-2 angel fish
2 dwarf gourami
6 cory
I like your stocking plan although I've not looked into temp compatibility.

Hopefully both of your BN plecos aren't little boys. I'm afraid one might have to go if they are. Males tend to get territorial once they reach adulthood and will hurt each other. Most of the time 2 females will get along. Should you end up with both male and female plan on pleco babies once your little guys mature. The can have upward of 75 or more babies about once a month if they are kept together. Right now I have both 2 month and 1 month old fry. Moma and papa are no longer in the same tank

AquEric

Welcome
I'm a big fan of fish in cycling I use guppies or platy's not meaning to get on on you STOP listening to PetSmart employees most of them are noobs who are hired off the street and try not to put chemicals in your tank I only use start right API leaf zone and seachem flourish excel I have no problems your tank will cycle you just have to have patience
And again WELCOME

Newfie21

I like your stocking plan although I've not looked into temp compatibility.

Hopefully both of your BN plecos aren't little boys. I'm afraid one might have to go if they are. Males tend to get territorial once they reach adulthood and will hurt each other. Most of the time 2 females will get along. Should you end up with both male and female plan on pleco babies once your little guys mature. The can have upward of 75 or more babies about once a month if they are kept together. Right now I have both 2 month and 1 month old fry. Moma and papa are no longer in the same tank
Ohhhh i hope they are not both males lol one have bristles the other one does not have any so i think i might have gotten 1 male 1 female i should prepare myself for baby pleco now . Thank you for letting me know!

Newfie21

Welcome
I'm a big fan of fish in cycling I use guppies or platy's not meaning to get on on you STOP listening to PetSmart employees most of them are noobs who are hired off the street and try not to put chemicals in your tank I only use start right API leaf zone and seachem flourish excel I have no problems your tank will cycle you just have to have patience
And again WELCOME
Thank you! Yes i will lol learned my lesson now wasted 30 dollars on that bacteria im currently using flourish tabs and liquid for my plants too.

Newfie21

Welcome here, and we are ALL noobs at something!! Great place here for info and i see you have been provided links for some of it! Have fun!
Thank you!! ☺️

mattgirl

Ohhhh i hope they are not both males lol one have bristles the other one does not have any so i think i might have gotten 1 male 1 female i should prepare myself for baby pleco now . Thank you for letting me know!
It does sound like you have one of each. If so then eventually you will see babies. You can easily get over run with them. The first time I got babies I had at least 80 of them. That handsome fellow over there in my avatar is their dad. Mom was a tiny super red. Amazing there were that many eggs in her little body. I am not sure how many I have right now but I know there are lots of them since it is 2 different spawns hatched a month apart. Mom and dad to these are both little super reds. Like I said, Mom and dad are no longer together in the same tank. I really can't handle more babies right now.

Newfie21

Woah thats alot!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
PAcanis
Replies
Views
mysticdragon72
Replies
Views
RyanReef