Newbie needs 48" tank lighting advice

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by grelsner96, Jul 26, 2015.

1. g

grelsner96 New Member Member

I have 48" 90gallon tank, and I have a fluorescent fixture that doesn't work anymore. Maybe I broke it during the move when I moved to my new home. Anyway, the 2 main points: 1) What is a planted aquarium? i mean I have two bamboo shoots, but that's not considered planted is it? 2) What type of bulbs/fixture would be decent for my fish, but inexpensive?

Main concern is low expensive. I m fine with upgrading in a few months. But for now, I need a inexpensive solution because the only things keeping me from transferring my fish from their tiny tank to this new tank is the absence of lights. I want to get my babies out of their crowded tank!!!!

2. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

A planted aquarium is an aquarium with live plants. Although bamboo isn't fully aquatic I believe. For an inexpensive lighting system you can use 6500k bulbs, t8 or CFL. But you said your fixture was broken? One of those shop lights will work. Also, you can get a finnex LED fixture. It's a little pricey at first, but it will save you a lot of money since it uses up less electricity and you don't have to keep changing the bulbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. OP
    OP
    g

grelsner96 New Member Member

Well, that sounds like some good information thank you. I am familiar with the bulbs I have now, so that's a positive for fluorescent. i may think about the LED in the future, with I'm working with a low dollar amount here. I think I actually bought t8 6500k. I was at Lowe;s and got a pair of bulbs, back before I found out it was the fixture/ballast that was broken. I totally guessed and I ended up buying those. So there's a little luck. Now I'm trying to think since I already have these bulbs, I might as well stick with it to save money.
    Do u think buying a whole new fixture would be cheaper or trying to find a similar ballast and just replacing it?

4. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

Is the fixture a regular t8 fixture? It doesn't turn on? It could be the starters that don't work.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. Jswin

Jswin Well Known Member Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice