Newbie Moving From 10 To 55 Gallon Needs Stocking Advice

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by k9shrink, Oct 5, 2018.

1. k9shrink

k9shrinkNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +24
    Experience:
    Just started
    Hi guys,

I'm a total newbie, have had my 10 gallon for 5 weeks and got a whirlwind education in the nitrogen cycle, etc. in time to keep everybody alive. Just bought a gorgeous used 55 gallon acrylic tank with oak stand/hood that I'm setting up in a few days to do a fishless cycle.

Current stocking (10 gallons):

6 - male feeder-type guppies (gift from a friend, the whole reason I had to buy a tank!)
    2 - nerite snails
    1 - female betta, super peaceful
    1 - yoyo loach
    1 - Sterba's cory
    1 - orange laser cory
    1 - albino bronze cory

All are 1-1.5" juveniles except the laser cory and (possibly) the female betta. So far, everybody gets along great.

Total planned stocking (55 gallons) is same as above PLUS:

FRIENDS FOR BOTTOM FEEDERS:
    2 more yoyos (for total of 3 yoyos)
    3 more of each cory (for total of 12 cories)

SMALL SCHOOL OF MID-TO-UPPER FISH:
    Any ONE of these species (would consider others): neon rainbowfish, Lake Kutubu rainbowfish, marble hatchetfish, harlequin rasboras

"CENTERPIECE" FISH:
    Bolivian ram cichlids and/or Keyhole cichlids

Questions:

1) How is the overall plan? Anybody see aggression issues?

2) Which type of mid-level school would be colorful, but least likely to be eaten by adult yoyo loaches?

3) Which of the centerpiece fish would you go with, or can I have both? I know people are told to get 6 of each of these and let them pair up. I don't particularly want them to breed, but also don't want 5 males fighting over 1 female. Is there a place I can buy already-bonded M/F pairs?

Thanks!

2. jacob thompson

jacob thompsonWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +307
    Experience:
    3 years
    No you should only see aggression if they breed, cichlids of all types are very territorial when breeding.
    I would go either harlequin rasboros or neon rainbowfish, both are very fast schooling fish. And would survive unless the yo-yo is insanity aggressive
    Also I would look into EB acaras. They are also very docile and a good centerpiece fish. I would go with one centerpiece fish what you choose will essentially claim the entire tank as it’s territory if they begin to breed and you don’t want any other cichlids in the tank if that happens. If you feel confident enough sexing hen you could just do a gender specific tank and you wouldn’t need to worry about breeding aggression or rehomeing but I know it’s easier said than done with SA/CA cichlids.

3. OP
    OP
    k9shrink

k9shrinkNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +24
    Experience:
    Just started
    Hi Jacob, thanks so much for the tips. I had actually been looking at EB acaras--gorgeous! But I was thinking I needed multiples of any cichlid to keep them happy, and knew they were supposed to be more aggressive than Keyholes or Bolivian Rams when nesting. But getting just one cichlid total, or same sex of two species sounds like a great option. I'm not able to sex fish, but hopefully I can find them already sexed for a premium price...

4. NavyChief20

NavyChief20Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +956
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    As an exclusive cichlid keeper i will tell you that keeping cichlids in any number with non cichlids is a risk. Sometimes it works and they are fine but often not. Also that is regardless of the geographic region. My african rift tanks are almost peaceful in comparison to my south American and central American tanks

5. OP
    OP
    k9shrink

k9shrinkNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +24
    Experience:
    Just started
    Hi NavyChief20, thanks for the info. In reading, I have read that the German and Bolivian rams are generally considered "safe" with virtually all other tank mates. At worst, when nesting, they may nip or body slam fish that come within a couple inches of the nest. I got the feeling from other posts that the blue acara was about the same except had a much bigger territory and was could kill very small fish for food, or during nest aggression. If I had just ONE female (or male) of ONE species, do you think that would work in a peaceful community tank? Which of the species do you find the safest bet (realizing it is something of a gamble)?

6. max h

max hWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2,265
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    I'm no where near knowledgeable on cichilds, but with your loaches they would do better in groups of 6+ fish. That will curve some of their aggression, I have 6 in one of my tanks and they have never been aggressive to other fish. Same for the 8 Zebra loaches in another tank. Now for the Cories you really need to decide on which species you want to keep, they also need a school of 6+ fish. So with just loaches and one type of cory the bottom is filled. Now as far as the Rainbowfish go once again they like to have 6+ for a school. Great fish for a community setting and some are extremely colorful, for a 55 I would suggest a type that doesn't grow to 5 inches.

7. OP
    OP
    k9shrink

k9shrinkNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +24
    Experience:
    Just started
    Thanks, Max H. I've just started looking into rainbows, and thought the two on my list were small, but I'd better double-check!

8. toeknee

toekneeWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,169
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Your planned stocking is very similar to what I have in my 55 gallon right now. I have 14 harlequin rasboras, 14 peppered corys, 6 keyhole cichlids, 1 bolivian ram and 1 rio-negro pleco. It would be best to have one larger school of the same species cory. If I were in your shoes I would pic one breed and rehome the other two. Keyhole cichlids are by far the most peaceful cichlids I've ever dealt and I can't recommend them enough!. More calm than bolivians or appistos. One of my fav fish I've kept so far. The Bolivian in my tank will chase them away from his claimed territory in the tank.

9. max h

max hWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2,265
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Look into them, they are very interesting fish. I would encourage for you to look at several different sources and fish supply sights for info on them or any fish you want to house with them. Most sights will give a temperature range for the fish, shoot for the middle of the road temp with your stocking.

10. OP
    OP
    k9shrink

k9shrinkNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +24
    Experience:
    Just started
    Thanks Toeknee and max h! Great info.

11. NavyChief20

NavyChief20Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +956
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    GBRs is sufficient numbers will be fine. So will EBAs. Do not mix in JDs, GTs, Jaguars, Wolfs, BCs, Uaru, or really anything else from South America.

12. WinterSoldier.

WinterSoldier.Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,203
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I would go with hard to kill hardy fish, like swordtails, platys, guppies, mollies, and varitatus

Become a Fishlore Member