Newbie Looking For Some Stocking Advice

cody2posh

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hey there! Congrats on the setup! So I'm not quite sure where the Dwarf frogs got this reputation, but I keep one in my guppy/shrimp breeding tank and have literally never had an issue, even with him eating fry (it's super heavily planted) and while I rarely see him, I do catch him hanging around every once in a while, occasionally even catch him dart up to get air before disappearing again.

As for shrimp, I keep and breed my cherries just fine, and it doesn't seem like any of the fish you have in there would give them a problem. The cool thing about cherries is that as long as they're able to live comfortably, they'll breed en masse! Ghost shrimp are a little more active imo but they're basically impossible to breed in a setup (larval stages and what not) but for $.10 a ghostie at my LFS I can't complain.

If you're looking for something a little more interesting, rabbit snails are always a bright and low-req addition. Also Thai micro crabs have been blowing up recently, but I'm not sure how those fair with some of the other tank mates you've already mentioned.

Outside of that, everyone else pretty much gave you good advice as far as things like another female molly. Really, I'd say browse forums or your LFS and find things that you like personally and find a way to make it work in your aquarium, best way to find something YOU really love!

kayla20johnson

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
cody2posh said:
Hey there! Congrats on the setup! So I'm not quite sure where the Dwarf frogs got this reputation, but I keep one in my guppy/shrimp breeding tank and have literally never had an issue, even with him eating fry (it's super heavily planted) and while I rarely see him, I do catch him hanging around every once in a while, occasionally even catch him dart up to get air before disappearing again.

As for shrimp, I keep and breed my cherries just fine, and it doesn't seem like any of the fish you have in there would give them a problem. The cool thing about cherries is that as long as they're able to live comfortably, they'll breed en masse! Ghost shrimp are a little more active imo but they're basically impossible to breed in a setup (larval stages and what not) but for $.10 a ghostie at my LFS I can't complain.

If you're looking for something a little more interesting, rabbit snails are always a bright and low-req addition. Also Thai micro crabs have been blowing up recently, but I'm not sure how those fair with some of the other tank mates you've already mentioned.

Outside of that, everyone else pretty much gave you good advice as far as things like another female molly. Really, I'd say browse forums or your LFS and find things that you like personally and find a way to make it work in your aquarium, best way to find something YOU really love!
Thank you so much! My Betas are my absolute favorite-their personalities are so unique and I love it. My male betta in my 5 Gallon tank gets favored just a wee bit. I had somebody tell me too that my tank might be too tall for the frogs-is this true since it’s a 55 High?
The only shrimp I have found in my area are the ghost shrimp. I haven’t been able to find any others besides a lobster that my LFS offered me but I turned down. I’ve never heard of the Thai micros crabs though.

Mick Frost said:
Yes, they're the same species. Unfortunately it's not a guarantee that they will recognize each other.
Would a loach be a good fit?

cody2posh

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
kayla20johnson said:
Would a loach be a good fit?
What kind of loach?

(Hillstream are my favs)

kayla20johnson

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
cody2posh said:
What kind of loach?

(Hillstream are my favs)
Maybe a Kuhli?

Sarah73

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
kayla20johnson said:
Maybe a Kuhli?
You can't have "a" kuhli loach. You need at least 6. Hillistream loaches and kuhli's are completely different species. The hillistream will kill other tank mates to get to food while the kuhli's are peaceful tank mates.

aussieJJDude

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Those glassfish arent considered to be 'tetra', they are Parambassis ranga... a type of perch almost. If you can, consider purchasing undyed fish, you can find them if you look around, especially online.

They are very different to albino black skirt tetra, Gymnocorymbus ternetzi.

Sarah73

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
aussieJJDude said:
Those glassfish arent considered to be 'tetra', they are Parambassis ranga... a type of perch almost. If you can, consider purchasing undyed fish, you can find them if you look around, especially online.

Just like glo fish

aussieJJDude

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sarah73 said:
Slightly... Non glo fish are still relatively popular, however undyed glassfish are rather rare... they mostly a specialty import...

If a store has the option of shipping some in, then they should ve able to source undyed with ease.

cody2posh

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Sarah73 said:
You can't have "a" kuhli loach. You need at least 6. Hillistream loaches and kuhli's are completely different species. The hillistream will kill other tank mates to get to food while the kuhli's are peaceful tank mates.
Just curious where you got this? I've got a hillstream loach in my guppy breeder and he's wouldn't hurt a fry!

Sarah73

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
cody2posh said:
Just curious where you got this? I've got a hillstream loach in my guppy breeder and he's wouldn't hurt a fry!
I used to own hillistream loaches. When I had one, it went after my cories, when I added a second one they started killing my cories so that's my experience.

cody2posh

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Sarah73 said:
I used to own hillistream loaches. When I had one, it went after my cories, when I added a second one they started killing my cories so that's my experience.
Oh wow, yeah I guess that'd be pretty good proof. I guess maybe it's an individual personality thing?

Sarah73

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
cody2posh said:
Oh wow, yeah I guess that'd be pretty good proof. I guess maybe it's an individual personality thing?
I really don't know, but I'm not gonna try to continue to figure it out. No hillistream for me. the thing is that they attack at night. my cories started dying for no reason, so I watched the lights go off and saw the hills attacking and jumping my cories....life lesson

kayla20johnson

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
aussieJJDude said:

The fact that they have Dye in them is what makes me not want to get more

aussieJJDude said:

The ones I have aren’t see through like the picture; it was just the closest I could find. And I don’t want to purchase anymore due to the fact they are dyed

Sarah73 said:
Good to know! If I were to get 6 Kuhlis would they be okay in my tank?

Sarah73

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yes ma'am, they would be ok. you could even add 2 to 4 more to make the kuhli's happier.

aussieJJDude

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
kayla20johnson said:
The fact that they have Dye in them is what makes me not want to get more
You can get ones thats not dyed - aka normal?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom