Newbie Looking For Some Stocking Advice

kayla20johnson

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have posted a couple of times and have had awesome people give me some awesome responses! So I thought I’d ask for some more advice.

I currently have a 55g high tank that I recently started and am doing fish-in cycling. I have the testing kit and all of that jazz.
What I have in my tank (10 total):

3 Glass Tetras (I know I need to add 3 more)

2 Pepper Corys (Again, I know I need more)

2 female Betas

2 Silver Mollies (I male, 1 female)

1 Bristle-nose Pleco (baby)

So far they are all doing great together and each have their own personality. Aside from the ones I know I need to add, I am wondering if it would be safe to add:

Shrimp (what kind?)

And

African Dwarf frogs. I read somewhere that the frogs can be a bit aggressive and I am wondering if this is true?

Also: after buying my Glass Tetras I found out that they get their colors from being injected with dye and therefore I do not want to get the same kind. Would it be okay to get 3 more of a different kind of Tetra? If so, which ones?

After I get some answers and I add a few more fish, I want to start posting some pictures! If you’d like to follow me to see how it goes please feel free to do so!

Thank you!

OneLittleBubble

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I don't recommend putting female bettas with other fish. They can be bullied or bully the other fish. I am also pretty sure that african dwarf frogs should be by themselves.

Sarah73

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Are you trying to do a sorority? Having just 2 betas isn't a good idea. As for shrimp you can do mainly any shrimp. Ghost, cherry, blue, lava, etc. Also add one more female Molly so the one female doesn't get bullied by the male. Adf can be added but since your tank is so big I don't know how good that would be.

Esli

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Adf need to be in their own tank for several reasons. So maybe some shrimp is good!
Any shrimp is fine.

kayla20johnson

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
OneLittleBubble said:
I don't recommend putting female bettas with other fish. They can be bullied or bully the other fish. I am also pretty sure that african dwarf frogs should be by themselves.
I have kept an eye on my Betas and they have been fine! I did the research to see what fish they are okay with. They are doing very well and I have had no problems thus far.

Mick Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Avoid Shrimp if you add Frogs, and vice versa. As for the tetras, it's going to be hit or miss. I currently have 4 Danios, 1 Guppy, 5 DNRs, and a Cardinal that all school together (and another Cardinal that never schools, and 4 more that school together in a different part of the tank).

kayla20johnson

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Sarah73 said:
Are you trying to do a sorority? Having just 2 betas isn't a good idea. As for shrimp you can do mainly any shrimp. Ghost, cherry, blue, lava, etc. Also add one more female Molly so the one female doesn't get bullied by the male. Adf can be added but since your tank is so big I don't know how good that would be.
Thank you! Would it be okay to get a black Molly, or should I get another Silver? And I’ll be sure to skip the Adf’s! And like I said, so far my Betas are doing very well. If 2 isn’t a good idea, should I add another or no?

Mick Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
kayla20johnson said:
Thank you! Would it be okay to get a black Molly, or should I get another Silver? And I’ll be sure to skip the Adf’s! And like I said, so far my Betas are doing very well. If 2 isn’t a good idea, should I add another or no?
Except for mixing longfin & shortfin varities (which can be done), a Molly is a Molly. They even have a coloration called 24Karat which could make some cool looking babies with your silver.
Bettas are notorious for being individuals, some are content all by themselves in tanks that are really too small for the bioload, others get depressed when a Guppy is removed from their group of "buddies." Adding another could really go either way. A backup plan is always recommended when dealing with "semi-aggressive" fish.

Mom2some

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I would anticipate any shrimp being possible snacks for the betta & mollys. Provide a ton of places for them to hide. I have a semi-aggressive Fish (angelfish) & I wanted shrimp so I trialed with ghost shrimp since my LFS sells them as feeders by the 10 unit. All eaten or dead within 24 hours. So just a caution if you want to add shrimp maybe test your fish with a less expensive option first.

kayla20johnson

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Mick Frost said:
Except for mixing longfin & shortfin varities (which can be done), a Molly is a Molly. They even have a coloration called 24Karat which could make some cool looking babies with your silver.
Bettas are notorious for being individuals, some are content all by themselves in tanks that are really too small for the bioload, others get depressed when a Guppy is removed from their group of "buddies." Adding another could really go either way. A backup plan is always recommended when dealing with "semi-aggressive" fish.
Thank you! I have a quarantine or hospital tank as a backup if anything goes wrong with any of my fish. If my Mollies do end up with babies, how do I deal with such a situation?

Mom2some said:
I would anticipate any shrimp being possible snacks for the betta & mollys. Provide a ton of places for them to hide. I have a semi-aggressive Fish (angelfish) & I wanted shrimp so I trialed with ghost shrimp since my LFS sells them as feeders by the 10 unit. All eaten or dead within 24 hours. So just a caution if you want to add shrimp maybe test your fish with a less expensive option first.
Thank you! I will most likely get a few ghost shrimp

Mick Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
kayla20johnson said:
Thank you! I have a quarantine or hospital tank as a backup if anything goes wrong with any of my fish. If my Mollies do end up with babies, how do I deal with such a situation?
IMO if you don't want babies, you should avoid breeding conditions (with Livebearers, those conditions are a male and a female in the same tank). Towards the left wing, the Bettas will probably control the population quite well. Survivors can be given away to good homes.

kayla20johnson

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Mick Frost said:
IMO if you don't want babies, you should avoid breeding conditions (with Livebearers, those conditions are a male and a female in the same tank). Towards the left wing, the Bettas will probably control the population quite well. Survivors can be given away to good homes.
Okay, thank you much! And as for Tetras, will it be okay for me to get 3 more that are not Glass Tetras? I don’t want to buy those again because I found out they get their color from being injected with dyes.

Mick Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
kayla20johnson said:
Okay, thank you much! And as for Tetras, will it be okay for me to get 3 more that are not Glass Tetras? I don’t want to buy those again because I found out they get their color from being injected with dyes.
They are most likely Black Skirt Tetra.

Sarah73

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
kayla20johnson said:
Doesn't matter as long as it's a female Molly. The problem is that if you add another one or two it can make things worse or better. The problem with just staying with two is that there is no one else to be with other than the other betta. They get grump to.

kayla20johnson

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Mick Frost said:
Yup, albino Black Skirt Tetra with the fish equivalent of celebrity Botox.
Is that what you’re saying I should get to go with my Glass Tetras?

Sarah73 said:
Doesn't matter as long as it's a female Molly. The problem is that if you add another one or two it can make things worse or better. The problem with just staying with two is that there is no one else to be with other than the other betta. They get grump to.
There are also Tetras in there

Mick Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
kayla20johnson said:
Is that what you’re saying I should get to go with my Glass Tetras?
Yes, they're the same species. Unfortunately it's not a guarantee that they will recognize each other.

kayla20johnson

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Mick Frost said:
Yes, they're the same species. Unfortunately it's not a guarantee that they will recognize each other.
Alright, thank you very much! I’ll let you know how it goes

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom