Newbie Looking For Best Equipment

Discussion in 'Plant CO2' started by Zai, Jun 4, 2019.

1. Zai

ZaiWell Known MemberMember

So I'm setting up a 50 gal and am considering adding co2.
    However as the title hints, I'm a newbie with co2 and know nothing about it.
    What would be the best equipment that doesnt cost a fortune and is easy to set up/use?
    I dont want to mess it up and kill my fish lol.

Any tips and suggestions for me?

2. DutchAquarium

DutchAquariumWell Known MemberMember

Look at the systems they use for beer, it's much cheaper when they aren't marketed towards pets. i currently run a 10 gallon cylinder and i have to fill it up every 6 months for about 8 bucks at almost any liquor store. you need a cylinder, a regulator, a check valve, co2 diffuser, co2 checker, and solenoid valve is optional.

3. Awaken_Riceball_

Awaken_Riceball_Valued MemberMember

Your Options are:
    • Liquid CO2 ($)
    • DIY Yeast and Sugar ($$)
    • Pressurized CO2 ($$$$ - $$$$$)
    Which option do you prefer to go with?

4. OP
    OP
    Zai

Probably liquid co2 because im on a budget. i can buy things slowly over a few months and then set it all up later.
    though probably would end up with what costs less in the long run-
    liek spend $$$ now but over all end up spending $ for upkeep

5. Awaken_Riceball_

Awaken_Riceball_Valued MemberMember

Understood, thank you for your response! For now, I recommend to go with Seachem Excel. It is around $10 for 500ml. If you want to save up for a pressurized CO2 setup by purchasing a little bit over time, then here is a topic I posted a long time ago on what you will need. I strongly recommend not to cheap out on CO2 regulator, it is the most critical component of a pressurized CO2 setup and very expensive. Just something to keep in mind as you save up :) I hope this helps!

6. Wraithen

WraithenFishlore VIPMember

Just realize that liquid co2 isn't a thing. Excel does help plants grow a little bit, but it's nothing like real co2. Real co2 can dial in most plants and starve out algae all while helping plants get great growth. Using gluteraldehyde is more akin to the results most people get when they dose a little extra iron vs no iron at all.

7. DutchAquarium

DutchAquariumWell Known MemberMember

like said above, liquid co2 ins't what you think it is. it doesn't do much. spending a bit more money now will let you save money in the long run. the setup i describe in the first post is 80 bucks. the yeast and sugar isn't consistent and will cause you problems. Co2 levels drop everytime you open the bottle and will not provide you with what you need. please read this about liquid co2

8. OP
    OP
    Zai

thank you! if thats the case then ill just save up and buy a system over time so that i can get the best result

9. OP
    OP
    Zai

okay thank you, ill give it a look! i'd rather spend money over the next few months getting the equipment rather then spending money on something that wont really do much. i dose my plants with thrive but i want my 50gallon to really THRIVE, so know im going to need co2 for that.
    thanks for the link!