Newbie...ish

abbytherookiehuman

Member
hello fishlorers
I have just joined today so I can contribute and ask my own burning questions that I just can't find any answers for.
when I was younger I was very interested in aquatic life and kept clouds, tetras, tadpoles, frogs, a very unlucky catfish and possibly a couple others. ive done a lot of reading about different fish and plants and have started a new project for myself. I was actually looking into aquaponics when I stumbled upon red cherry shrimp and just fell absolutely in love. I have currently got a reasonable small tank as it turns out, a 56 l (15 gal) fish tank that I originally got for hermit crabs about six years ago.
anyways, I have a simple gravel substrate I got from my lfs along with a banana lily. the tank also has a bunch of rotala indica stems I ordered on ebay and a good looking anubias nana that I divided into two separate plants and will hopefully not die. I also have some japanese sweet flags (I think...) a little bridge decoration, a mediocre heater that will soon be replaced by a cobalt neotherm heater, a sponge filter and some duckweed. there is also a java fern floating around waiting for some driftwood to come in the mail. the java arrived in a paperthin envelope and isn't looking so good. any advide on how to help it out would be much appreciated.
I have some java moss on the way along with some indian almond leaves (a food source). I intend on breeding red cherry shrimp in this tank and maybe eventually expanding into a much larger tank
any advice or tips are very welcome thank you in advance
 

Joshuaharestad

Member
abbytherookiehuman said:
hello fishlorers
I have just joined today so I can contribute and ask my own burning questions that I just can't find any answers for.
when I was younger I was very interested in aquatic life and kept clouds, tetras, tadpoles, frogs, a very unlucky catfish and possibly a couple others. ive done a lot of reading about different fish and plants and have started a new project for myself. I was actually looking into aquaponics when I stumbled upon red cherry shrimp and just fell absolutely in love. I have currently got a reasonable small tank as it turns out, a 56 l (15 gal) fish tank that I originally got for hermit crabs about six years ago.
anyways, I have a simple gravel substrate I got from my lfs along with a banana lily. the tank also has a bunch of rotala indica stems I ordered on ebay and a good looking anubias nana that I divided into two separate plants and will hopefully not die. I also have some japanese sweet flags (I think...) a little bridge decoration, a mediocre heater that will soon be replaced by a cobalt neotherm heater, a sponge filter and some duckweed. there is also a java fern floating around waiting for some driftwood to come in the mail. the java arrived in a paperthin envelope and isn't looking so good. any advide on how to help it out would be much appreciated.
I have some java moss on the way along with some indian almond leaves (a food source). I intend on breeding red cherry shrimp in this tank and maybe eventually expanding into a much larger tank
any advice or tips are very welcome thank you in advance
It sounds like you've got a pretty good start. I love heavily planted tanks and shrimp are fun. Are you going to do any other fish? Good luck with the tank!!
 
  • Thread Starter

abbytherookiehuman

Member
Joshuaharestad said:
It sounds like you've got a pretty good start. I love heavily planted tanks and shrimp are fun. Are you going to do any other fish? Good luck with the tank!!
I'm hoping the java fern can start to brighten up soon and especially once I attach it to the driftwood. I'm looking forward to when the plants start to really grow in and use the space to give it a more green and lively look.
ive seen lots of warnings about fish eating shrimp however the seller I'm getting my shrimp from keeps them with tetras and numerous other species so my hopes are that once the shrimp are settles in and maybe breeding then I plan on adding tetras or ottos or something with minimal risk
suggestions?
 

Joshuaharestad

Member
abbytherookiehuman said:
I'm hoping the java fern can start to brighten up soon and especially once I attach it to the driftwood. I'm looking forward to when the plants start to really grow in and use the space to give it a more green and lively look.
ive seen lots of warnings about fish eating shrimp however the seller I'm getting my shrimp from keeps them with tetras and numerous other species so my hopes are that once the shrimp are settles in and maybe breeding then I plan on adding tetras or ottos or something with minimal risk
suggestions?
My experience is that lots of fish will eat shrimp if they can fit in their mouths. But there's lots of small species that I'd think would work. I had ghost shrimp with African Dwarf frogs. The frogs ate the small ones. The glow tetras I had left them alone as did the betta, though I imagine some betta's would take exception to them. I think most small tetras are probably on the table. Other than that I'd just watch close. If they are going to eat them they'll show you fairly quickly. Usually. Hope that helps some. Sorry I can't help more. I'm more of a monster fish person. My tank fish absolutely will eat shrimp. LOL

And maybe guppies.
 
  • Thread Starter

abbytherookiehuman

Member
Joshuaharestad said:
And maybe guppies.
I actually really like guppies, do you have any experience in keeping them together? if so were there any problems?
 

Joshuaharestad

Member
abbytherookiehuman said:
I actually really like guppies, do you have any experience in keeping them together? if so were there any problems?
Sorry I haven't kept them together. But I'd imagine they'd be too small to eat the shrimp. Can't guarantee it though.
 
  • Thread Starter

abbytherookiehuman

Member
Joshuaharestad said:
Sorry I haven't kept them together. But I'd imagine they'd be too small to eat the shrimp. Can't guarantee it though.
Thank you, I think I might give guppies a go and I might update the thread with how it goes
 
  • Thread Starter

abbytherookiehuman

Member
Also if anyone has tips for nursing my java fern that would be great. I can post pictures if needed
 
  • Thread Starter

abbytherookiehuman

Member
Hey guys
So this weekend I got myself a 3 foot long 30 gallon (120 L) tank with a stand and an Aquis 1000 external filter which I know absolutely nothing about. I got this stuff second hand from eBay so there is no instruction manual and google isn’t helping much.
I’m also in need of more substrate and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to where I can find a cheap aquarium substrate (preferably a black sand or fine black gravel as I am getting cherry shrimp). Any advise would be greatly appreciated. I also got a log from my lfs because the one in the mail is taking too long so I’ve attached some Anubis’s. I have started dosing flourish excel and sea hem stability along with the already used seachem prime for dechlorinating. I bought some Monte Carlo and was wondering how I could encourage more growth. I heard mts help move the gravel about a bit so I also got three of those.
If anyone has any advice or questions to provide a better input please go ahead. I really want this tank to go well so it can look really nice
 
  • Thread Starter

abbytherookiehuman

Member
Image1567309622.290878.jpg
Image1567309674.258021.jpg

Day three with sand
No improvement
 
Top Bottom