Newbie introduction & Tiger Barb advice

FishyTopic

Reaction score
hello everybody, my name is Iesha. I'm new to the forum! I currently live in San Diego, CA. I recently bought 5 tiger barbs from a local pet shop. I placed them in the 20gal tank the day before yesterday. I just wanted to introduce myself and ask for any advice that you guys could give me for my fish. And also if anyone could tell me if I have males or females? I love them. The first time caring for tiger barbs and I plan on breeding them when fully able to.
Keep in mind: The biggest one, I think is a bully, he constantly chases the others one around all day & to be honest, I feel like he's nipping their fins or trying to prove dominance. I prefer just 5 but I believe they're supposed to be in packs, 6 at the least: schooling fish. I may have to get one more I'm guessing to stop the bullying? I also have an isolation mesh net that floats or you can hang it from the side of the tank, but I don't feel like it works because he did it again after taking him out + when he's isolated the other fish go underneath the net as if they're trying to help him escape... So I don't know if they are playing when he chases them and keeps them in a corner or if he is nipping to claim dominance.. The tank is not all the way full because I honestly don't know how much water to put in a 20gal tank with 5 tiger barbs. I like it like that because I feel the water changes are easier, but the pet shop owner told me to fill it up and to leave 1 inch out.. The reason I have two filters is the one in the back was the original. I bought it at Walmart not knowing anything about if it was a pump specifically for Tiger Barbs. I took it to the local pet shop where I bought the fish, and the owner talked me into buying the one on the front. He told me it was specifically made for Tiger Barbs and that the one I had was only for reptiles. But the box said fish and reptiles could use it. I feel like the one I got from the pet shop doesn't produce enough bubbles for the fish so I kept both of them in there so they'd get more oxygen. Umm, what else? I feed them once a day. Normally, flakes one day or frozen blood worms the next day. But I feel like the bully eats all the other fish's food.. I make sure each of them eat though. So please, let me know. I feel like they have everything they need and they're good, but I don't know, I guess good can always be better... :) I probably should get a lid too? I also keep them in a temp of 75 when breezy and windows are open in the apartment and then 77 throughout the day if it's not too hot out with window slightly open but blind down and at night when it gets a little chilly their tank will get at the lowest get 75ish-76ish. I try to put blankets around the tank to warm them up, but I feel like I'm suffocating them. I will add photos shortly.

kallililly1973

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Welcome. Is your 20 gallon a long or tall? I would suggest adding at least 3 more to distribute the aggression.. you can usually tell the males from females by seeing if the nose has some orange on it that’s how I was told to determine the gender. The males will have a more orange nose. We have 10 in a heavily planted 29. Their great. They love omega one frozen foods especially bloodworms

Attachments

OP
FishyTopic

FishyTopic

Reaction score
kallililly1973 said:
Welcome. Is your 20 gallon a long or tall? I would suggest adding at least 3 more to distribute the aggression.. you can usually tell the males from females by seeing if the nose has some orange on it that’s how I was told to determine the gender. The males will have a more orange nose.
Thank you umm I'm not sure maybe both lol. Here are a few photos.

Attachments

OP
FishyTopic

FishyTopic

Reaction score
Too bad we cannot add videos, it'd be easier for you to see the fish but it's okay. I'll try my best to get a few good photos so you could understand what I'm talking about..

OP
FishyTopic

FishyTopic

Reaction score
Here we go..

kallililly1973 said:
Welcome. Is your 20 gallon a long or tall? I would suggest adding at least 3 more to distribute the aggression.. you can usually tell the males from females by seeing if the nose has some orange on it that’s how I was told to determine the gender. The males will have a more orange nose. We have 10 in a heavily planted 29. Their great. They love omega one frozen foods especially bloodworms
Wow your water looks great and so do your fish!

It looks like they all have orange on their nose..

Attachments

A201

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Definitely fill the tank up to within one inch of the top. Barbs are good jumpers, be a good idea to either buy a custom glass lid, or pick up plexiglass from Lowes or Home Depot. It's not too difficult to cut. Plexiglass is very inexpensive.
Tiger Barbs are riverine fish & do well with a strong current & rocky decor.
20200709_174825.jpg

kallililly1973

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
If you download a video to YouTube you can then make a post and add the link from there. If you search Kals tanks. I have a bunch of pics and videos of our tanks.

Kitley

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. I love your fish. Kal...do you have to be a utube member to add a video?

kallililly1973

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I’m not sure. I think I may have set up an account but it’s been so long I forget. Should be pretty simple like setting up an email or any other type of account.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom