Newbie in Fish Breeding - Help Needed to Set Up

vanhell

Help Needed!! - Fish Breeds and Tank Setup

hi..I am from India..
and I want to set up an freshwater aquarium in my house..
I bought one Medium Size fish tank...
just wanted to ask some questions!!..
which fish species will be best suitable according to Indian Climate??..
and how many types for fish I can put it in one tank..
I was thinking to buy Cichlids but shop man said Cichlids are not suitable for Indian Climate and neither guppy..
so now I am really confused as to buy which one..
please help me guyz..
which fish species will be suitable for beginner like me ??

Lucy

HI welcome to FishLore

Exactly what size tank do you have? It'll be hard for members to suggest anything with out that info.
If you measure it, Here is a link the our Conversion Calculator

Since you're just getting started, here is some info that you should learn before running out and getting fish. Pay extra special attention to the article about the nitrogen cycle:
Beginner's Guide

We really encourage members to cycle without fish:
Four Methods of Fish Less Cycling

Good luck

Walky

If you are keeping the fish inside and have a controlled temperature then you should easily be able to add a heater and provide whatever temperature the fish need. In this case the climate would not matter.

If the temperature of the room is not controlled, the climate will need to be taken into effect. To advise you on this we would need to know what part of India you live in. It's a very big place with multiple climates, and we can't recommend keeping fish in a place that varies between 4C and 30C.

We absolutely need to know the exact size of your tank. If you can give that to us that would be great. Even if you can give us the dimensions of the tank, we can figure out the volume.

Definitely check out Lucy's link to the nitrogen cycle. It can save you from many fish deaths.

vanhell

my tank size is 3ft in length wise, 1ft in width and 1.5ft in Height...

I don't want to make my fish tank a crowded place..I want to keep fish to minimal..
like 2 or 3 species..
since I am new to fish breeding I cannot decide which fish combination would be good to start with..
please suggest me some fishes which can stay with other breeds too.. which will not fight with others..

my plan is to keep 2 small breed fishes in a group of 4 or may be 5 ..and 2 normal size fish..

sorry for my bad English..:-[

bassbonediva

Don't worry about your English! It's fine.

So, your tank is about 33.66 gallons (127.42 litres). That's a decent-sized tank. Are you looking for fish that are easy to breed (unless you mean easy to keep?)? I would think as a beginner, you would want fairly easy fish. If so, guppies and platies are extremely easy to breed (basically put females with a male and *BAM* babies! lol), as well as easy to keep. You could do maybe five guppies or platies (one male and four females), 5-6 corydoras (they come in many good-looking patterns and colors), and a pair of honey gouramis. With that stocking, you would even have room to add a school of 5-6 small tetras (like cardinals) or rasbora (like harlequin).

Walky

to clarify are you looking just to have the fish as pets(keep) or do you wish to make baby fish(breed them)?

vanhell

Don't worry about your English! It's fine.

So, your tank is about 33.66 gallons (127.42 litres). That's a decent-sized tank. Are you looking for fish that are easy to breed (unless you mean easy to keep?)? I would think as a beginner, you would want fairly easy fish. If so, guppies and platies are extremely easy to breed (basically put females with a male and *BAM* babies! lol), as well as easy to keep. You could do maybe five guppies or platies (one male and four females), 5-6 corydoras (they come in many good-looking patterns and colors), and a pair of honey gouramis. With that stocking, you would even have room to add a school of 5-6 small tetras (like cardinals) or rasbora (like harlequin).

yeah..its around 30 to 35 gallons..
as I am a beginner..I am really nervous ...
I don't want to kill my fish..so I am taking every step carefully while setting up the aquarium..
yeah..I was thinking the same..about guppies and platies..
but that shop guy told me that guppies are not suitable..
I think he was not having guppies so that's he was saying like that..

I was thinking to keep guppy, tetra in a group of 5 to 6...and..a couple of gourami like you said..they are so beautiful....
I went to other shop...at their the shop guy also recommended me one algae eaters..he said they will keep your tank clean..

my couple of friends are also in fish breeding..and most of them have Discus fish...
they are also very good...
can I add Discus fish with above combination??..

and how about black gold??...can I add one of them to my tank??..

to clarify are you looking just to have the fish as pets(keep) or do you wish to make baby fish(breed them)?

I am not looking from breeding point of view..I want to keep them as my pets..like we raise cats and dogs..
and everyone has right to be satisfied...
how can we do injustice to them...by keeping them virgin through-out their life..??..
we have to find mate for them other wise..they will not live longer....like us..mating is also important part of their life...
so I will buy my fishes in couples only..so they will live together and will be happy...

Walky

As long as you can keep the temperature at about 23-25 C you should have no problem with any of the fish we suggest. The only algae eater that I would suggest for your tank would be a Bristlenose Plecostomus. They don't grow as large as a common plecostomus. You can identify them by the bristles on their nose like this: https://www.fishlore.com/Pictures/Profiles/bristlenose-pleco-pair.jpg

guppies and platies would be perfect, sword tails will also work. You just have to be careful with these because if you mix males and females, they will make lots of babies. Depending on the gourami, you may not want more than 1 as they can get aggressive towards their own species.

I don't know if Discus would work in your tank as I've never kept them. Hopefully someone else can help with that.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Hunaid Hanfee
Replies
Views
flyinGourami
Replies
Views
mattgirl
Replies
Views