Newbie... I Already Killed Six Fish, Please Help! | Page 2

1. AmnScott Well Known Member Member

Hmmm maybe Chocolate Gourami? They get to about 1.5-1.75 inches. Still too big for a 30l tank though lol. IIRC Chocolate Gourami are one of the smaller gourami species.

Actually nvm, I believe Licorice Gourami's are smaller. I think they get to 1" in length.

@AnnH2 Did they have black/white stripes?

2. 2211Nighthawk Well Known Member Member

AhHa! Sparkling Gourami!! Ok they get 1.5" so I was wrong about the size but I knew which one I was talking about!

OP, forget what I said, wrong fish and 6 is to many. :D

Ooh cute!! Nope, found which one I was thinking of. :D

3. AnnH2 Initiate Member

Yes that's the tank. I believe I've read on biorb customer reviews, ways that people have found to put a heater in it. I'm going to pick up one of those kits tonight and start over.

I don't think they suffocated. If the filter/bubbler was running, I highly doubt it. I think shock.
    Hey OP, were they gasping at all? That's the biggest thing key indicator for lack of oxygen.[/QUOTE]

They weren't gasping but they were hanging out behind an ornament at the back of the tank. I thought they looked scared? or freaked out? Not normal.

4. 2211Nighthawk Well Known Member Member

Probably both. Fish usually hide out for a bit at the bottom when you first add them.

5. AnnH2 Initiate Member

they were gold with red at the tail and a tiny bit of red (almost a dot but not quite) behind the eye. I've been looking all over online to try to find pictures. When I go to the pet store tonight I'm going to scan the sticker and take a picture. Because now I am not sure at all.

6. 2211Nighthawk Well Known Member Member

Haha! Let's settle this ID once and for all!! :D

7. AnnH2 Initiate Member

okay, so the fish are called '24 kt gold white cloud' I've uploaded a picture of the school swimming around at the top of the pet store tank. According to the label, they get up to 2 inches, so I shouldn't have had more than four and they are not happy in small groups, so... I tested the PH and it is 8.2!!! Poor fish. My ignorance killed them. The temp is 70 so that's not too cold but I did buy a tiny heater they recommend for nano tanks. The other image is the pearl gourami that I was planning to buy but the store guy talked me out of it. The are tiny and are only supposed to get to 1.5 inches max... still too big for my tank though I guess.

I haven't tested nitrates or ammonia yet. Love that little testing kit, I feel like a scientist. I looked at the shrimp while I was at the pet store and... sorry ick they look like bugs and creeped me out. : ) Thanks for all the info, I'm sure I'll be back in a few days when I'm trying to intro new fish.

Attached Files:

8. 2211Nighthawk Well Known Member Member

Yeah that ain't any Gourami :D

So we've kinda hit on that it's a 7ish gallon bowl/tank. There are Nano-tank fish available, the only problem is if your willing to order online if they are not around you. But I have no idea how to make the link to that list. :p either way it's that 5gallon tank stocking list. It's not in stone, but it gives you some ideas.

I just thought about it, is that a colour variation of the White Cloud Mountain minnow?

9. AnnH2 Initiate Member

Those look a lot like them. According to the link, I shouldn't have been able to kill them so easily, but I guess it was probably shock. I'll take a look at the list. A customer at the pet store told me about a store around here that specifically sells aquarium supplies and fish. I'm going to check it out this weekend.

10. 2211Nighthawk Well Known Member Member

A PH jump will kill the hardest of fish. Maybe even goldfish.

And yes! Check it out! They might actually know what they're talking about. Always do your research! :D

11. LittleMissSaasha Initiate Member

Maybe instead of a few fish you might like a single betta fish male? He would fit well in a 7gallon/30L tank and would be a beautiful showpiece. Not to mention they are hardy and can breathe air; perfect for beginners. They also have a great personality (not always towards other fish, but they're definitely responsive to you)

12. 2211Nighthawk Well Known Member Member

Not totally true about being "air breathers" . They still need oxygenated water but if a tank is set up that badly, yes they can resort to only breathing atmospheric air. Just don't want some people getting the idea that those filterless bowls are alright because "they breathe air"

13. AngelTheGypsy Fishlore VIP Member

Hello and welcome to fishlore and fishkeeping!
    Sorry to hear about your troubles, but if it helps, most of us have been there!
    Everyone here is super friendly, and it’s the best place to get helpful, accurate advice.
    Now that you have your test kit, you should start with your nitrogen cycle. It seems really complicated, but once you get it, it’s super easy. For now, you can think about different fish options, but to create the best environment for them, start understanding that it could be a couple months before your tank is ready for them .
    Cycle 101:
    Fish produce ammonia through waste and breathing. We as fishkeepers need to grow nitrifying bacteria in our tank filters that will convert this ammonia first to nitrite. Nitrite is still toxic to fish, so then we need to grow bacteria that will convert it to nitrate. Nitrate is not as toxic, and will eventually be removed through water changes. This process of cultivating these bacteria can take anywhere to a couple weeks to months.
    Start with your filter. You will need something in there for bacteria to grow on. This can be a coarse sponge, or many other products labeled “biomedia”. (I’m not familiar with the bio-orb filter, so I’ll have to do a little research) Once your filter is set up, you will need your test kit (check) dechlorinator (most use Seachem Prime, but most any will do), and some sort of ammonia source to start your cycle. Some people do fish in cycles, where they let the fish create the ammonia. This can be stressful on both you and the fish, since it will be a toxic environment, and will take longer. Many prefer to do fishless cycles. Some people use fish food to create ammonia, but it isn’t very precise. Most prefer to use pure liquid ammonia. (You will need to find one that has no additives, detergents, surfactants, or perfumes. Just ammonia and water. If you shake the bottle and it gets all foamy, not good.)
    I’m going to stop my novel now. If you have any questions, feel free to ask! Everyone here is happy to help!

Edit: you will also need some beneficial bacterial supplement to jump start the bacteria. This helps to introduce the bacteria to your tank, instead of it magically finding its way to your tank. I recommend Dr. Tim’s One & Only (available online) or Tetra Safe Start +. I have had the best luck with these two products. Many also recommend Seachem Stability, but I’ve never had much luck with it myself.

Lastly, don’t worry too much about your ph. My ph is 8.2 and I have no issues with my fish. The main thing is doing a careful acclimation for them, but we can get into that later .

14. IcedColdMine Well Known Member Member

I had to watch a dumb it down video to understand the cycle lol.

15. Susiefoo Well Known Member Member

Those are gold white cloud mountain minnows. I think the "24 karat" part is artistic licence on the store's part :) They are temperate fish, which do fine at room temperature in most climates, so don't feel bad about the lack of heater. But most other fish will need one (and WCMM grow too big for the round Biorb in that size). Biorb do a heater with a specially shaped holder to fit the curved glass. But (speaking as a former Biorb owner) I personally would cut my losses, sell the Biorb, and buy a standard plain glass tank. You'll save money in the long run. If you don't want to do this, a betta is a good idea.

Edited to add: I have WCMM and they are very hardy, pretty much bomb-proof. For them all to die so soon makes me wonder if there was something more toxic in the tank e.g. is there any possibility someone used bleach or cleaning agents in it? I would personally give it a good rinse out with a few changes of water.

16. AnnH2 Initiate Member

I think this might be a good idea. I've been reading about Betta fish and figuring out how to make my biorb hospitable for him. I found a fish store run by a fish guy who gave me some plants that will help with cycling and he advised me to clamp the airpump somewhat because the biorb filters are a little too harsh for a betta. I probably have the wrong features, too. :( The one I bought to go in the tank takes up too much of the top where the betta likes to swim, but its okay, since I have bitten by the bug I'll use it in my next tank. I'm cycling the tank now. So excited! I wonder if a couple of shrimp would be a good idea for the ecosystem? I can put something in there for them to hide under.

It was brand new and I rinsed it with tap water, then used the water conditioner as instructed in the package. I've changed the water and am testing it for ph etcetera... now I'm worried that I won't pick up anything toxic when I'm testing it. The fish seemed fine when I put them in, after letting them float in their bag for half an hour, but they went south within an hour. Poor things looked pretty freaked out and were dead soon after.

17. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

You need to slowly add small amounts of water over the time they're floating so that other parameters besides temperature can equalize. It was likely shock that killed your fish.

18. LittleMissSaasha Initiate Member

True! Didn't mean to give off that implication.

19. 2211Nighthawk Well Known Member Member

As long as you don't say that betta's live in puddles, we won't shun you. :D

20. FishRockFrogBit21 Member Member

First of all you need to cycle your tank first. That stuff you added should help but you need to wait a little while before adding fish and you need to put substrate in, (gravel, sand, etc,) That will help the bacteria get started an latch on, also a filter is needed as the bacteria will also latch on the filter. To help speed up the process adding live plants will help as well. I would suggest waiting a week or two because it is fairly small. I was able to add fish in a week following this process. A few casualties but a majority of the fish I started out with are still alive.

2nd) You need to look at the living conditions on the fish you wish to buy along with growth rates. 6 golden gouramis in a 30 liter tank is wayyy to small as they can grow to 6 inches long! They also need to be kept in water from 74 degrees to 82 degrees.

Your going to need to rethink the fish you want to buy. Indefinitely.

I'm not trying to be mean but you were very careless. I've made mistakes buying a fish without checking out what they need first and so have many others. RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH. Otherwise your basically just throwing your money away and killing these fish unnecessarily. I'm sure this will be a lesson learned for you but never trust what just one person says at a pet store