Newbie Here...with A Sick Betta :(

Discussion in 'Welcome to FishLore' started by Dena, Feb 25, 2019.

1. DenaNew MemberMember

First time fish owner (we had some when I was a kid so I thought I knew what I was doing but wow was I wrong) just trying to figure everything out and thought I was doing good until I noticed some spots showing up on my Betta. Any advice?

Tank

What is the water volume of the tank? 3
    How long has the tank been running? 3 months
    Does it have a filter? Yes
    Does it have a heater? Yes
    What is the water temperature? 77- 78 degrees
    What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) One betta fish and one nitrate snail.

Maintenance
    How often do you change the water? Every other week (has gone three weeks most recently when spots appeared)
    How much of the water do you change? 75%
    What do you use to treat your water? Prime conditioner
    Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Substrate

*Parameters - Very Important
    Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? No
    What do you use to test the water? Nothing yet, waiting on my first test kit to arrive
    What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia:
    Nitrite:
    Nitrate:
    pH:

Feeding
    How often do you feed your fish? 2 times per day
    How much do you feed your fish? I Feed him for 2 minutes
    What brand of food do you feed your fish? Fluval bug bites Betta formula
    Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? No

Illness & Symptoms
    How long have you had this fish? 3 months
    How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? 1-2 weeks
    In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? Back fin changing color at base and going out towards the end and white discoloring between eyes.
    Have you started any treatment for the illness? I tried more frequent water changes. No. Did a 75% water change and full clean and vacuum.
    Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? No
    How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? No behavior change but definitely appearance change

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)
    Mainly it’s the discoloration, his behavior is basically the same except that he flares his gills at me more often when I come to the glass. He still eats and is active and possibly more damage on the end of his fins but it’s hard to tell

Attached Files:

2. DemeterFishlore VIPMember

His body condition looks alright to me and his fins don't look frayed. I'd guess he may be marbling, which is when a betta changes colors. It happens from time to time if they have the marbling gene. See how he is in a few weeks, if the discoloration spreads but he acts normal otherwise then I'm pretty sure he's just marbling.

The only other theory I have is maybe he burned himself on the heater? Does he often hang out there or perhaps sleep on/near the heater at night?

3. DenaNew MemberMember

Thank for the reply, I didn’t even realize that either of those things were a possibility.
    He used to stay near the heater all the time so I turned the heater up to 78 during my last cleaning (which is when I noticed the discoloring) so that seems like a possibility.
    I noticed yesterday that he made a new bubble nest So hopefully that is a good sign.
    Only other thing is that I did test my ph last night and it seems pretty high (7.6), could that be causing anything?

4. DanInJakartaValued MemberMember

Bubble nests are a very good sign.