Newbie here wanting some nasty fish for 10 gallon!

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by CanKor, Dec 24, 2012.

1. C

CanKor New Member Member

Hmm... so with my 10 gallon I was thinking that I could put some nasty predatory fish in.
    Nasty fish seems to have more personality(intelligence) ... and personality is what I'm looking for lol
    I'm only willing to keep 1 predatory fish if possible. I'd prefer my new fish to be catfish or puffer type but I kinda already have set up my aquarium with a driftwood, anubias, and moss balls so I'm not sure if brackish conditions would suit be suitable.

BTW I mean nasty predatory fish by fish that can at least eat an adult guppy lol

ANY SUGGESTIONS??? BTW MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:;santaclaus:;shat:;snow

Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
  2. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Unfortunately, the fish you want to keep require much bigger than a 10 gallon.

3. OP
    OP
    C

CanKor New Member Member

I mean there must be some :( I absolutely love predatory catfish...

4. bankruptjojo

bankruptjojo Fishlore VIP Member

betta fish can eat a guppy lol, maybe not whole...

catfish like that will need a 55g.

can a leaf fish go in a 10g? they are predators right? never kept them so...

5. Jaysee

There is no predatory catfish that belongs in such a tiny tank. It really is small - about as small as it gets. Get a 20 long and you could get a golden wonder killi. They are like mini arowanas and are voracious predators.

The leaf fish are not very active, but they still get pretty big - bigger than a 10. I know the African leaf fish for sale at petsmart are really small but they grow to more than 4 inches in just a couple of years. The true leaf fish - the SA ones, will only eat live foods and are very challenging to keep.

In a 20 long you could keep a crayfish and a pair of GW killis. In addition to watching them eat live foods, you'll be able to watch them spawn, which is quite entertaining. And of course, the crayfish is always cool to watch. Since the killis will stay near the surface, the shortness of the tank won't be a problem keeping them with a crayfish.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
  6. OP
    OP
    C

CanKor New Member Member

Would Leopard Bushfish be ok?? I've searched up south american leaf fish and some says no and some says yes. I mean I've seen couple of them at my LFS but they seem very inactive... TOO inactive lol

7. C

Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

You could do a couple dwarf puffers. They are mean little suckers. They like the murder snails :)

8. bankruptjojo

bankruptjojo Fishlore VIP Member

yeah iv only seen them they look cool but are always just floating there lol.

this says the bushfish needs 55g and can get 6-8in so idt that will work. 10g really is not much room...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leopard_bush_fish

9. Novemayune

Novemayune Valued Member Member

I guess technically you can do whatever you want, if you are just going to disregard sound advice and experience found here and don't care about the comfort and joy of your fish. Personally, I think you've already got sound answers here and you are just looking for someone to tell you that what you are planning to do is ok.

My two cents? Get a bigger tank or listen to what Jaysee and BankruptJoJo have told you...

10. Jaysee

The leopard bush fish, aka spotted Ctenopoma and African leaf, is not suitable for a 10, unless you want the fish to just sit there and not do anything. Like I said, they are sold very small, but grow fast.

11. OP
    OP
    C

CanKor New Member Member

How about one small catfish? Like South american bumblebee catfish? Are those a good choice for a 10 gallon??

12. C

13. OP
    OP
    C

CanKor New Member Member

I'll probably bother you guys with a lot of "Is this fish ok for a 10 gallon?" type of question lol It doesn't have to be a catfish but I guess what I'm really looking for is a fish with a LOT of personality. How big does dwarf puffers grow? The size seems to differ from each source that I have looked at. Is dwarf puffer the only puffer that can go in a 10 gallon?

14. C

Dwarf puffer, aka pea puffers stay very small and have lots of personality! They're cool little fish. They are the only truly fresh water puffers. The others need at least brackish. To me, it sounds like a good fit for what you want out of a fish.

This website has lots of good info on them.  

15. klogue2

klogue2 Valued Member Member

If you want a fish with lots of personality get a trio of scarlet badis :) they require a bit of work from what I've read and are pretty small however I've heard they are VERY fun to watch.

IMO they are also beautiful. I'd love to get some but they are somewhat delicate from what I've read.

16. cichlidmac

cichlidmac Well Known Member Member

Maybe pea puffers.
    (edit) oops that's what I get for not reading every post :)

17. C

I like the way you think mac ;D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice