Newbie here to learn about fishkeeping!

samuraikitty7

Hi, everyone, thanks for letting me join. I'm a 51 yo single female who has had to move back in with her folks to care for them, and I tried and tried to stay away from those cups of Bettas at the pet store, wound up doing a lot of online research and found out how to really care for a betta, and a new thing to me....shrimp!

So a couple of months ago I did the newbie thing...got a ten-gallon aquarium and ordered a betta from a company online. Went to buy supplies for the betta on its way, bought a blue mystery snail and another betta male while there! We connected, honestly! So then, well, had to buy a 5 gallon for that fish. He's got a major attitude, that one, so after giving him to my mom, his name is Bruce. He's a king betta. I also bought some cherry shrimp, not understanding the nitrogen cycle or new tank syndrome or live plants or any of that. So, yeah, didn't go well. I lost all my cherries but one. I do have some funny and awesome ghost shrimp, who don't seem to bother the little cherry.

When Jude, my betta, showed up, it was the wrong fish. Not what I had ordered. The company was horrified and refunded me all my money, and I decided at that time to keep and love Jude. He's a blue-green rosetail/veiltail and he definitely struggles with his long, curling fins. He doesn't swim much, which is so sad. In comparison, my mom's king betta has NO issues swimming all over like a normal fish.

So anyway, a bumpy and expensive ride into the hobby of fishkeeping. It's been a steep learning curve and unfortunately some losses, but I'm hoping to find a way to make Jude comfortable, like getting him his own 5 gallon, or maybe something else I don't want to think of....rehoming him, to someone with experience with rosetails and all the issues that can come with it. My ten-gallon now has CaribSea EcoComplete substrate, some live plants, and I'm looking into a shrimp dish. Should have some dedicated shrimp/snail food arriving tomorrow. Didn't know they needed extra until I read about it. I think they will go wild!

So....anyway....here I am ready to learn stuff! Already have from reading posts. Thanks again!

ATM: 10 gallon with 1 rosetail betta male (Jude), 1 blue mystery named Cruise who rules the tank, 1 nerite (Racer), 1 baby ramshorn (Rami), 1 Cherry Shrimp female (Cherry), 8 ghost shrimp (4 juvies and two berried females in there). Take care of Mom's 5 gallon with 1 King Betta (Bruce), and two nerites (Chester and Clem).

Attachments

• 20210923_225032.jpg
    20210923_225032.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 20210918_111357 (2).jpg
    20210918_111357 (2).jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 7
  • berried ghost (2).jpg
    berried ghost (2).jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 8
  • red cherry and juvie (2).jpg
    red cherry and juvie (2).jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 20210821_141844 (3).jpg
    20210821_141844 (3).jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 11

WRWAquarium

Hi and welcome to the forum. Nice bettas :)

samuraikitty7

Hi and welcome to the forum. Nice bettas :)
Thank you! It's funny how very different the fish are personality-wise, like polar opposites! Bruce is a bruiser, ready to take on anyone, including me. Jude is a "delicate flower" that wants to be shy and have you feed him by hand. They are both more curious than cats, though, lololol. Of course they came from two different importers.

Tigerburp

Hi, everyone, thanks for letting me join. I'm a 51 yo single female who has had to move back in with her folks to care for them, and I tried and tried to stay away from those cups of Bettas at the pet store, wound up doing a lot of online research and found out how to really care for a betta, and a new thing to me....shrimp!

So a couple of months ago I did the newbie thing...got a ten-gallon aquarium and ordered a betta from a company online. Went to buy supplies for the betta on its way, bought a blue mystery snail and another betta male while there! We connected, honestly! So then, well, had to buy a 5 gallon for that fish. He's got a major attitude, that one, so after giving him to my mom, his name is Bruce. He's a king betta. I also bought some cherry shrimp, not understanding the nitrogen cycle or new tank syndrome or live plants or any of that. So, yeah, didn't go well. I lost all my cherries but one. I do have some funny and awesome ghost shrimp, who don't seem to bother the little cherry.

When Jude, my betta, showed up, it was the wrong fish. Not what I had ordered. The company was horrified and refunded me all my money, and I decided at that time to keep and love Jude. He's a blue-green rosetail/veiltail and he definitely struggles with his long, curling fins. He doesn't swim much, which is so sad. In comparison, my mom's king betta has NO issues swimming all over like a normal fish.

So anyway, a bumpy and expensive ride into the hobby of fishkeeping. It's been a steep learning curve and unfortunately some losses, but I'm hoping to find a way to make Jude comfortable, like getting him his own 5 gallon, or maybe something else I don't want to think of....rehoming him, to someone with experience with rosetails and all the issues that can come with it. My ten-gallon now has CaribSea EcoComplete substrate, some live plants, and I'm looking into a shrimp dish. Should have some dedicated shrimp/snail food arriving tomorrow. Didn't know they needed extra until I read about it. I think they will go wild!

So....anyway....here I am ready to learn stuff! Already have from reading posts. Thanks again!

ATM: 10 gallon with 1 rosetail betta male (Jude), 1 blue mystery named Cruise who rules the tank, 1 nerite (Racer), 1 baby ramshorn (Rami), 1 Cherry Shrimp female (Cherry), 8 ghost shrimp (4 juvies and two berried females in there). Take care of Mom's 5 gallon with 1 King Betta (Bruce), and two nerites (Chester and Clem).
Welcome I have a betta too, named Azul

Attachments

• C7422A22-184F-4485-B839-86C21DC238A7.jpeg
    C7422A22-184F-4485-B839-86C21DC238A7.jpeg
    101.5 KB · Views: 4

Bwood22

Welcome.....this is Shinobi.

SmartSelect_20211007-121357_Gallery.jpg

mysticalmoonglo

Welcome, I'm new here too! I know the in store betta connection well. :D It's hard to walk away when you see THE betta. Historically, my girlfriend just gently reminds me that I don't have a cycled tank. She always asks why I want to look at the cupped bettas when it just makes me sad I can't give a betta I fall in love with a new home ( and lets be real every pet store trip I fall in love with one). I always say because I love looking at fish XD. Our first year together she bought me the aquarium annual pass ( we lived in Atlanta at the time).

We recently moved and I gave all my stuff up rather than move it from Atlanta to Raleigh and worry about my fish. Once we got settled I decided I wanted another tank but didn't have room for a big tank so I decided to learn about shrimp keeping. I'm currently cycling (fishless) a 7.5 gallon and I'm learning so much about stuff I thought I knew but have found out I only had a basic understanding. I can't wait for it to cycle and be stable so I can pick out my shrimp. I'm waiting to see what my stable parameters are before I decide on which kind I want. I'm also still struggling every time I see bettas not to bring one home. Even thought of buying another tank (I was eyeing the 14 gallon cube aqueon has) and start cycling it for a betta. I'm scared to put a betta in my current tank once it cycled because they are notorious shrimp killers, not saying it can't work just that I'm gun shy.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
alven
10 Gallon Tank First fish tank ever
Replies
Views
MyFishAddiction
5 Gallon Tank Newbie Here, Hello
Replies
Views
PattyCakes81